(Jedi Expedition) Character Posting/Approval Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Roleplaying View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 6:47 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

Cheers, Vorn!

Mara, wasn't sure how involved you want the bar fight to be, so I've set it up so it has both options of using it as cover for escaping, or if you want the fight to get involved, then evolving the fight in your next post.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it (or even read all of it). These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 1:10 pm Reply with quote  

Been doing some thinking on funny lines/spoofs of real world things and I came up with a line I thought Mara might find a funny Jayda might use at some point:

The uj'alayi is a lie. (uj'alayi a.k.a. Uj cake).

I'm sure Mara will get the reference here and I just thought I'd pass it along to be used or not used.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 7:24 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Bahahaha! That's hilarious, Salaris! I will most definitely work it in somewhere! Laughing

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 11:14 pm Reply with quote  

Mara Jade Skywalker wrote:
Bahahaha! That's hilarious, Salaris! I will most definitely work it in somewhere! Laughing

Glad you like it! Very Happy

(by the way you're up to continue your and Life's part of the story) *nudge nudge* Wink

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:39 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Ah, yes! You are indeed correct. *rushes off to construct post*

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:40 pm Reply with quote  

Hey all so just thought I'd check in whether there was still any interest among the majority of the RPG players in reviving the expedition or whether the feeling among everyone is that its best to leave the RPG to rest in peace.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:14 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Well, I'm always interested in some storytelling! I wouldn't mind if this was revived, though I'd understand if it wasn't.

If it wasn't, though, and we started up another story (one that we intended on finishing Razz ) then I think a different set up would be needed. Instead of having one overreaching story that's told in chapters, like a book, have smaller, self contained stories, that are connected by an overall theme. Think of it this way, by comparing it to comics: Instead of having fifty issues (like we do now) we do little story arcs of six issues, with an overall story arc, like those Vong comics.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it (or even read all of it). These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:57 pm Reply with quote  

My own vote is to continue with the story we have rather than attempting another RPG (ok also I'm rather attached to my current character too Razz ).

As for the comic idea to be honest I've never read a comic book in my life, but it sounds like maybe you're talking about what is sometimes done in TV shows. For example, the reimagined Battlestar Galactica. While I imagine that you (Life) are suggesting this change to help keep the RPG alive I'm not entirely sure how you're envisioning it would work better than the book chapter method in this regard. That being said I think we could easily make the transition with the current RPG by just integrating the first two chapters as something like a "season premier episode" (i.e. longer than the rest of the season's shows).

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:19 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Funny, I bring up a comic example, and you've never read a comic, and you bring up a Battlestar Galactica example, a show I've never seen!

But I didn't mean applying it to this one, but another, should we do another. Okay, think of it like a Tales of- book. It's a collection of short, self contained stories, which have an overreaching link.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:03 am Reply with quote  

Life Is The Path wrote:

But I didn't mean applying it to this one, but another, should we do another. Okay, think of it like a Tales of- book. It's a collection of short, self contained stories, which have an overreaching link.

Ok I think I can follow you now. But just to check: each story would contribute something to character development/backstory which could be referenced in later stories where the overreaching link might be a more implicit rather than explicit thing (depending on the story). Basically we might move the overreaching link along through possible teasers or other more subtle story devices.

Just another analogy that popped into my mind: the Sherlock Holmes movie (released in 2009) which is a self contained story but with teasers for a much larger plot involving Professor Moriarty. Sorry for all these analogies I'm just trying to process the different ways this would work in an RPG.

In any event I'm still not entirely sure how you see this as an improved RPG method that would decrease the odds of the RPG dying. Perhaps its a case where the answer is so obvious I'm missing it.

EDIT: It just occurred to me that with our current RPG we have the perfect device to make a (relatively) seamless transition to short self contained stores: the time warp to the future. Since we'd really be starting on a whole new story track with that there shouldn't be much difficulty at all in moving to a short story style.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:44 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

My theory is that there are several factors that come into play, when the progression of the RPG halted: one, people simply lacked the time; two, that we were looking so far ahead, with all those cool ideas, that we lost our focus on the here and now. I was quite guilty of that, so I figure others may have been, too.

I can't really counteract the first, though I think (and I am only just thinking, here. I'm not saying this is the only way, merely the only one I've come up with thus far) that with shorter story arcs we can take the pressure off a little, give people more time to write and think on it. The second comes into play here, too, because we'd see a quicker resolution - hopefully quick enough that attentions don't wander too far away.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:29 pm Reply with quote  

I follow now, your logic seems very good. Like I said a conceivable way we could make the transition with the current RPG would be to make the change with the warp to the future. We could conceivably speed current things up so that Will, Jayda and the rest all meet up at an accelerated pace from what we had originally planned and get to the time warp sooner.

From there we could take the ideas we had and break them up into the self contained stories instead of including all the ideas in one monster chapter.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:22 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Please ignore. Posted in error

Last edited by darthrevan1 on Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:18 am; edited 3 times in total

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:08 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

The only thing I want to tweak is the type-name of the ship. I kept on thinking it was the Z-95. Z-20, maybe? But otherwise it's fine by me. Smile

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:48 am Reply with quote  

Overall I think the character looks good. Based on the character bio I would imagine that he will some how join the rescue team on the planet since it would be unlikely that he would have been included in the original crew roster (having broken away from the Jedi and all). Seeing as we're at a spaceport I don't see us having much difficulty in plausibly adding a smuggler type character.

With regard to ship class I agree with Life: the RPG takes place prior to the game TOR which is several centuries before the Z-95 is ever used. I'm ok with you inventing a fighter class (since I don't believe there are many fighters classes in cannon though I haven't looked through wookieepedia in a while). Perhaps though alter the name a bit to be something like "Z-40 Banshee" (a much lower model number to account for it being centuries earlier than the Z-95 and give it a different name to avoid confusing it with the Z-95; and my name is only an example you can renumber and name the model as you choose).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Roleplaying

Page 34 of 37