Boba Fett
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Characters of the Expanded Universe View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 7:40 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Location: A floating diamond which no-one really seems to acknowledge

Somehow fix that shattered helmet and put it in Boba's hands, and I'll be happy. Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 1:57 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Fett's life is a tragedy.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 2:14 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I'd say Fett's life is a tragedy of his own making, which is actually some what sadder then it being a tragedy beyond his control.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 9:31 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Considering the credits, respect, and intelligence network he has in place he is doing quite fine for an old man thank you very much. We all unfortunately loose our fathers at some point in our lives, and we learn to get back up, and make the best we can out of life, and utilize the resources around us.

I wont give away any details but it was awesome to see Boba back in action again in Conviction.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 10:08 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Wait Boba's in Conviction?! Now I really want to read it! Smile

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 11:20 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

My Fett talk on the Ascension thread was probably going to derail the thread, so...

This is the Boba Fett I know, with Jason Wingreen's voice!

I feel as though the character has completely transformed, as his original synthesized voice, his OT characterization inspired by the Man with No Name, and the spin-off characterizations in the EU from that are completely at odds with the way his character has been developed since Episode II and the spin-off EU from that. The question is always more interesting than the answer. I miss Jaster Mereel.

And not that one.

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 8:48 am Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

You'll love it Reep it is a cameo appearance but it is good one, only an entrance Boba could make.

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 10:01 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I like Boba Fett's established backstory from Ep II as a clone, I don't miss the old EU development at all. In fact I like it better that it was adapted to Jango instead.

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 2:27 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I feel like the new Boba Fett is almost lacking an identity of his own. The pre-prequel stuff he's in seems almost like it's out of context as it relates to Fett; his grudge against Solo doesn't make a whole lot of sense, and in TUF he even says he never had one at all -- this is despite it having been a major part of his character prior to the prequels.

So it seems like everything set during the movies and after up to the NJO involving Fett is unreliable in its depiction of him, because his actions don't really fit his current character, and I feel like his characterization afterward is almost essentially Jango Fett, except with daddy issues.

I think Jango went through a similar psychologically traumatizing event involving the death of his father at the same age as Boba, so that that has become the defining characteristic of Boba seems wrong to me.

And from a purely film standpoint, it seems like George Lucas was sort of pandering to fans with Fett's inclusion in the prequels. A large part of Fett's popularity was his mystique; he's the Star Wars equivalent of the Man with No Name. The subsequent EU gave at least two, I think three different accounts of his backstory. Why nail down any particular backstory as true?* The question is more interesting than the answer.

IMO, Boba would have been more interesting if he wasn't in Episode II at all, but that it featured a Jango Fett, thus implying that perhaps Boba was a clone of Jango, but perhaps not.

I definitely can appreciate liking Fett's current characterization better than his previous one as it ties to Jango and so forth, but to me he was a lot more interesting when he was a mystery. Daniel Keys Moran's depiction of him is the best, IMO.

*I think the way SW fandom has become with Wookieepedia, we can't handle ambiguity at all. We need the facts codified in Wookieepedia and there can be no ambiguity.

Here's an interesting two part interview with Daniel Keys Moran:
http://www.bobafettfanclub.com/news/spotlight/daniel-keys-moran_jaster-mereel/
http://www.bobafettfanclub.com/news/spotlight/daniel-keys-moran_jaster-mereel-2/

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 2:49 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

LivingJediDream wrote:
; his grudge against Solo doesn't make a whole lot of sense,

This is why I hate the way they've changed Boba Fett. They now saw it was always about the Jedi and Han was nothing more then an after thought. With so many enemies created for the Jedi, to have Boba be Han's rival worked so well. Not only did he help expand the universe away from it being all about the Jedi, it gave Han an equal to work against.

Fett is now an enemy of the Jedi and Han is left without a rival of his own.

Oh and I really dislike the somewhat noble warrior they've, or rather Traviss, turned Fett and the Mandos into but that's a whole another thing.

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 11:06 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Jango didn't make no spur noises when he walked like Boba does (despite the handicap of not wearing spurs).

Fett not only lost his feud with Solo, but his primary defining characteristic as a man that operates by a personal code of honor. Now I honestly can't get a grasp on his character, besides a man that accumulates wealth, and is a bounty hunter because his daddy wanted him to be one.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:33 pm Reply with quote  

I thought Fett settled his grudge with Han in a fist fight? It was a short story I read. I think they were both at a boxing match or something and they ended up fighting each other. Seemed like they both got it out of their systems and afterwards left with a respect for each other.

Edit: it was The Last One Standing: The Tale of Boba Fett, in Tales of the Bounty Hunters. Han and Fett squared off, and it ended with them breaking off their grievances.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:27 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I think Boba still operates with a code of honour. I don't really mind his grudge with Solo being over either- you can only re-do stories so many times.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:17 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Darth Skuldren wrote:
I thought Fett settled his grudge with Han in a fist fight? It was a short story I read. I think they were both at a boxing match or something and they ended up fighting each other. Seemed like they both got it out of their systems and afterwards left with a respect for each other.

Edit: it was The Last One Standing: The Tale of Boba Fett, in Tales of the Bounty Hunters. Han and Fett squared off, and it ended with them breaking off their grievances.

He unnecessarily says it never existed in TUF. And his characterization is now lacking the reason for which it existed: he's judgmental of the way Han lives his life.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:53 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Reepicheep wrote:
I think Boba still operates with a code of honour. I don't really mind his grudge with Solo being over either- you can only re-do stories so many times.

I have trouble seeing someone who worked as a bounty hunter for Hutts to have any code of honor. It's one of the reasons I dislike Traviss' take on him. The things he would have had to do in the past, doesn't suggest anything like that. While he might not go around blasting everyone in sight just to get his target, he still happy killed someone for the right price.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Characters of the Expanded Universe

Page 5 of 6