Licensing
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 10:24 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

The Coruscant Nights have some attempts at noir archetypes and plot structuring. The second book involves the former Jedi helping the only straight cop on Coruscant investigate a murder and has a femme fatale. The backstory that was quickly dropped of Jax Pavan going from Jedi to crime lord enforcer is noirish. The whole series had a Maltese Falcon-like MacGuffin in the bota as well.

I wasn't accusing anyone in particular of selection bias but I think it's a trap everyone falls into, including myself. I guess the best way I can put it is that the type of fan that I am is dissatisfied with the literary Expanded Universe, and I am predisposed into thinking that fans like myself are what made it into what it is. That's definitely making myself out to be self-important, but I am speculating that the prequels brought a lot of fans over that read books because of the prequels, but without the prequels ceased to read them. Especially since TCW has curtailed any further prequel exploration in the novels.

Edit: I think my cousin was upset that the ending to the final book was ambiguous, but then Karpyshyn came out and said what happened. He preferred it as ambiguous.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 1:33 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

For what it's worth, here's some info for those who are worried that the sales of the novels might not be good enough for people to want the license. I had to go to several stores to get a copy of Conviction for it was sold out in every store. Many of the employees I talked to were surprised they sold out so quickly for they ordered a decent amount.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 4:22 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

LivingJediDream wrote:
The Coruscant Nights have some attempts at noir archetypes and plot structuring. The second book involves the former Jedi helping the only straight cop on Coruscant investigate a murder and has a femme fatale. The backstory that was quickly dropped of Jax Pavan going from Jedi to crime lord enforcer is noirish. The whole series had a Maltese Falcon-like MacGuffin in the bota as well.

I wasn't accusing anyone in particular of selection bias but I think it's a trap everyone falls into, including myself. I guess the best way I can put it is that the type of fan that I am is dissatisfied with the literary Expanded Universe, and I am predisposed into thinking that fans like myself are what made it into what it is. That's definitely making myself out to be self-important, but I am speculating that the prequels brought a lot of fans over that read books because of the prequels, but without the prequels ceased to read them. Especially since TCW has curtailed any further prequel exploration in the novels.

Edit: I think my cousin was upset that the ending to the final book was ambiguous, but then Karpyshyn came out and said what happened. He preferred it as ambiguous.

Ah, but Dream, I wasn't saying it was an accusation. I was saying that I had given my source, and that source precluded the possibility of such narrow thinking.

Anyhoo, thanks for the run-down on the CN series. I had thought to give it a miss, as it's been panned as not very good, but as it's 'noire' I just might pick it up. I am curious about one thing, though. It's a tetralogy, yet you show only three. Can I surmise from that that the fourth departs that genre?
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 9:46 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Life Is The Path wrote:
LivingJediDream wrote:

Ah, but Dream, I wasn't saying it was an accusation. I was saying that I had given my source, and that source precluded the possibility of such narrow thinking.

Anyhoo, thanks for the run-down on the CN series. I had thought to give it a miss, as it's been panned as not very good, but as it's 'noire' I just might pick it up. I am curious about one thing, though. It's a tetralogy, yet you show only three. Can I surmise from that that the fourth departs that genre?

Well, it's more that the fourth book isn't due out until sometime next year. Wink

For what it's worth, I really liked the series. I think it gets panned very unfairly.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 6:19 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I enjoyed Coruscant Nights as well, and I'm looking forward to the fourth. I think the first one was pretty well liked by everyone, but a lot of people viewed the second and third as a drop off in quality. If anything, I'd say the third was guilty of that, but it's my understanding that Reaves was ill when he wrote it. It's underwhelming as a conclusion to a trilogy, which may be why they're doing a fourth.

I thought the first and second were great. Looking at the cover of the first one, I just noticed that Jax is leaning against a brick wall. I didn't realize they still used those in Star Wars haha.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 10:06 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

The whole book felt very un-Star Wars, cover included. Wink

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 10:28 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

I don't think Coruscant Nights are bad books, they just failed to engage me. Confused

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 2:22 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

VileZero wrote:

Well, it's more that the fourth book isn't due out until sometime next year. Wink

For what it's worth, I really liked the series. I think it gets panned very unfairly.

that might explain it! I'm not normally a fan of the PT era, you see, so I don't particularly keep up with release dates for books set then.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 3 of 3