Red Harvest by Joe Schreiber
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 12:56 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Life Is The Path wrote:
I've not read this, and have no plans to read this. But I have a question, and this place seems as good a place as any. What do you think about Del Ray's decision to branch out into other genres? For example, the horror of Deathtroopers and Red Harvest.

I think it's something GL's shown works when done right.

As for RH- I found the Sith Netti especially cool!

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-To become a Jedi, it is not the Force one must learn to control but oneself.
-
-Podcasts: Star Wars Beyond the Films, The Star Wars Report, & EUCast

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 4:27 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

I see. It's curious, though, as when it was released it was hyped at such a big departure from the main Star Wars theme, yet neither of you are as bothered about it as they may have thought.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it (or even read all of it). These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 12:36 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

Red Harvest is one of the few Star Wars books I actually regret reading. That is all.

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 5:35 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Queen Padmè Skywalker wrote:
Red Harvest is one of the few Star Wars books I actually regret reading. That is all.

Ouch...did you enjoy Death Troopers at least?

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 6:15 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

My problem with Red Harvest is that Star Wars itself isn't horror, nor is it known for horror. So I question the decision-making and motives that go into deciding to do Deathtroopers and Red Harvest. For Red Harvest, at least, its connection to the Star Wars universe is fairly tenuous in the sense that its inclusion within the EU continuity is entirely inconsequential. It has absolutely no consequences or effect upon Star Wars outside of the story. You can say it's non-canon, or not, and it makes no difference. I can't speak for Deathtroopers but I suspect the same.

Red Harvest also doesn't do anything unique with the horror genre within the Star Wars universe. It's a typical horror movie formula that just happens to be set within the Star Wars universe. Nothing is done in it that simply couldn't be done outside of Star Wars.

Therefore, I'm led to believe that the rationale behind the creation of the two books was "let's do a horror novel but put the Star Wars label on it to increase sales." Now, I could be wrong, but to the best of my knowledge Del Rey has so many Star Wars books that it publishes a year, and that number isn't expanded to account for novels like Red Harvest. I'd rather have books that explore existing characters like I, Jedi or Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor than books that ostensibly experiment with mixing Star Wars with a new genre.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 10:34 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

Caedus_16 wrote:

Death Troopers was interesting. It was entertaining. Red Harvest was just sheer gore. It wasn't scary and it wasn't engaging. The only reaction it manged it get out of me was "ew".

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 2:39 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

LivingJediDream wrote:
Star Wars itself isn't horror, nor is it known for horror.

That depends on how you perceive Crystal Star.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it (or even read all of it). These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 2:43 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

The Crystal Star is more effective than Red Harvest. It's uniquely Star Wars!

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 2:52 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Life Is The Path wrote:
LivingJediDream wrote:

Laughing

Made my day. Very Happy

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 10:49 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Life Is The Path wrote:
LivingJediDream wrote:

Laughing

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 12:35 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Laughing I was certainly horrified.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 4:48 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Life Is The Path wrote:
I see. It's curious, though, as when it was released it was hyped at such a big departure from the main Star Wars theme, yet neither of you are as bothered about it as they may have thought.

I find the Sith themselves when WRITTEN are a theme on the Horror genre. They are creepy, they are evil, and they bring death, pain, and torture, you name it. So Red Harvest for me felt as SW and most other books but much darker them most- on par with a lot of the NJO.

LivingJediDream wrote:
My problem with Red Harvest is that Star Wars itself isn't horror, nor is it known for horror. So I question the decision-making and motives that go into deciding to do Deathtroopers and Red Harvest. For Red Harvest, at least, its connection to the Star Wars universe is fairly tenuous in the sense that its inclusion within the EU continuity is entirely inconsequential. It has absolutely no consequences or effect upon Star Wars outside of the story. You can say it's non-canon, or not, and it makes no difference. I can't speak for Deathtroopers but I suspect the same.

IDK If I can agree with this 100%. ESB- the cave- that scene was as Horror as the OT got, but I recall all of Dagobah creeping me out as a kid. As for the decision making motives- George is doing this in the Clone Wars- and the books follow his leads- they see him using Godzilla then King Kong, then a host of other themes like Hitchcock and figure "why not" And it's not like Zombies are new to Star Wars. The dark side practitioners have been messing with dark things in the EU for a long time. As for consequences- I felt that was DelRey appeasing fans- fans have been crying out for standalones- and that's pretty much what RH was a standalone that in a sense is a prequel- but since we have no actual tying together it ends up more a general stand alone. Both were decent books- and I say this from both a SWEU standpoint and a Zombie book standpoint. It was a good blend of both and fit well enough for SW> the only issue I have is the HOW of how the virus gets used form RH to DT- I have a feeling we have ONE MORE SWEU Zombie story to tie the two together coming.

LivingJediDream wrote:
Red Harvest also doesn't do anything unique with the horror genre within the Star Wars universe. It's a typical horror movie formula that just happens to be set within the Star Wars universe. Nothing is done in it that simply couldn't be done outside of Star Wars.

To me that in itself is the unique aspect. And the way the Sith students were going about things was classic horror movie to me. I guess I wonder what more were people wanting from these books? Stephen King? (Not that I've read a SK book only seen his movies)

LivingJediDream wrote:
Therefore, I'm led to believe that the rationale behind the creation of the two books was "let's do a horror novel but put the Star Wars label on it to increase sales."

In the end it's always about sales- but I don't think that's the ONLY reason they did it though. I and others are clamoring for GOOD Zombie stories set in the SW realm. And the Sith are the perfect patsies to bring that about- time and time and time again.

LivingJediDream wrote:
I'd rather have books that explore existing characters like I, Jedi or Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor than books that ostensibly experiment with mixing Star Wars with a new genre.

I do agree 100% on this! And perhaps if they considered these things and did a Zombie novel where like RH every character was at risk, but like DT- has characters people are really concerned with. IDK. I just see people's tastes and get that it's not for all, but I for one DID enjoy the books. Both as a SW book AND as a ZOMBIE book.

Caedus_16 wrote:

Death Troopers was interesting. It was entertaining. Red Harvest was just sheer gore. It wasn't scary and it wasn't engaging. The only reaction it manged it get out of me was "ew".

See I found DT much MUCH more gorey then RH. RH just had the signature screams of the screamer type Zombies.

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-To become a Jedi, it is not the Force one must learn to control but oneself.
-
-Podcasts: Star Wars Beyond the Films, The Star Wars Report, & EUCast

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 5:38 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

illogicalRogue2 wrote:

See I found DT much MUCH more gorey then RH. RH just had the signature screams of the screamer type Zombies.

I guess I just felt like Death Troopers had a little more plot going for it. The characters weren't the best, but I did kind of want a couple of them to make it out. With Red Harvest, I was like, "Meh, they can all be zombies for all I care"

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 12:04 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I hated the Jedi Character, Rojo Trace. Other than that I thought Scabrous was a great villain and I also kinda liked Zo. I thought the Sith tree thing was cool, but past that some of the characters got a tad stale. It wasn't that they weren't good, it was that the minute they get decent developing screen time they'd die.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:56 pm Reply with quote  

Just finished reading Red Harvest the other day. Here are my impressions...

The first half lacked characterization. Characters were introduces and killed seemingly just a few dozen pages later. There was no longevity. Like a typical zombie movie gone wild, characters were introduced and infected with careless abandon. Very little build up and lots of gory action.

This was without a doubt the goriest Star Wars novel ever written. A straight up horror novel.

The second half was a little better. By now a few characters have survived long enough to secure some page time and establish some mild character development. The story itself seems to get a little better in the telling. While the first half felt rushed, the second half slowed down just a little and gave way to just a bit more skillful story telling.

Yet it wasn't enough to make the overall story more than mediocre. I hate to say that because I really love Schreiber's non-Star Wars books. In those there is strong characterization, strong story telling, good build up, good action, good excitement, drama, and suspense. He has a talent for telling a good story in a fairly short amount of pages. But his Star Wars work just doesn't seem to carry over. His style is drastically different, and it just doesn't resonate with me. I much preferred they way he did Eat the Dark or No Windows, No Doors. Both of those stories were top notch. Red Harvest just had an awful start, and then he started to get into the grove, but it was too late.

Certainly a story you can skip. You won't miss much.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

Last edited by Darth Skuldren on Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:32 pm; edited 2 times in total

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 5 of 6