Official John Jackson Miller VIP Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » VIP Chats View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:07 pm Reply with quote  
VIP
VIP

Sorry for the delay in responding. I said I wasn't making the boards much lately (and with a flooded basement this month, I have an excuse)!

Life Is The Path wrote:
...it's interesting how you think she can't succeed at her ultimate goal. Because that makes me wonder at what her ultimate goal is. The destruction of the Sith, or the rescuing of innocents.

Well, her goal has changed a bit since she reached the place where the action was. But yes, the overall ultimate goal for anyone would have to be ending all the chaos and getting rid of all the Sith, and I think she can see now that is a bit out of easy reach!

Life Is The Path wrote:
I do have one or two other questions, though. Do you prefer to have a set storyline, like KOTOR, or the Have Gun, Will Travel way of doing things with Knight Errant?

Well, even though KOTOR had those specific story destinations, there was still the opportunity to go in different directions to get there. I knew what Jarael's backstory was, for example, but I didn't know that we would be illustrating it through stories about a haunted space yacht, swoop-dueling, and comet-mining. The future is always in motion, to quote the green guy, and so even in what might seem a more linear tale, there are chances to tell other kinds of stories. So really it isn't an either-or thing.

As to Lost Tribe, the concept for the promotional series of short stories came from Shelly Shapiro at Del Rey and Sue Rostoni at Lucasfilm. I had written prose SW short stories for the website before -- and some other long SW pieces for the role-playing game. I had been writing prose stories on my own for years, so it was just a matter of getting out a different toolkit.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:54 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

JohnJacksonMiller wrote:
Sorry for the delay in responding. I said I wasn't making the boards much lately (and with a flooded basement this month, I have an excuse)!

Well, if you leave your laptop on the basement floor... Laughing No worries here!

JohnJacksonMiller wrote:
Well, her goal has changed a bit since she reached the place where the action was. But yes, the overall ultimate goal for anyone would have to be ending all the chaos and getting rid of all the Sith, and I think she can see now that is a bit out of easy reach!

Just a tad! But that is very interesting. I can't help but ponder on what the story resolution is...*Does puppy dog pout*

JohnJacksonMiller wrote:
Well, even though KOTOR had those specific story destinations, there was still the opportunity to go in different directions to get there. I knew what Jarael's backstory was, for example, but I didn't know that we would be illustrating it through stories about a haunted space yacht, swoop-dueling, and comet-mining. The future is always in motion, to quote the green guy, and so even in what might seem a more linear tale, there are chances to tell other kinds of stories. So really it isn't an either-or thing.

Ah! To possibly barbarise and simplify your notion - it's not the destination, but the journey. Then, conversely, it's not the journey, but the destination. Sorry, I guess I'm not making much sense!

JohnJacksonMiller wrote:
As to Lost Tribe, the concept for the promotional series of short stories came from Shelly Shapiro at Del Rey and Sue Rostoni at Lucasfilm. I had written prose SW short stories for the website before -- and some other long SW pieces for the role-playing game. I had been writing prose stories on my own for years, so it was just a matter of getting out a different toolkit.

Indeed. I've heard of, but sadly not read, of those stories *Shakes fist angrily yet impotently at sw.com hyperspace*. Thank you for your answers, Mr Miller. Now, I'm going to go button my lip, because I feel as if I'm not letting the others talk!

However, I do have one question. How do you define Kerra as a 'knight errant'. As far as I'm aware, there are several definitions of 'knight errant'. Though there's a definite thread that runs through them. The main one is that they wander in search of chivalrous adventure. To me, that sounds a bit like seeking adventure for adventure sake. But that didn't altogether fit with what you've just written here. Others state that they do it to build and display their own prowess, and to prove themselves as knights. I was wondering, what does it mean to you?

Thank you, again, for your time. And also, don't worry, it's okay if it takes you a while! Smile
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

Life is like the Force - Luke Skywalker, Crucible. Damn straight I am.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:47 pm Reply with quote  
VIP
VIP

I think rather thank following the historical reference literally, we focused more on the roving aspect; she's masterless, and going wherever the need is. There's also an implication whenever "errant" stands alone that she's not heading in the right direction -- which was the case for a lot of "Aflame."

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 4:12 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Embarassed That would have been my next guess Rolling Eyes

Thank you, My Miller!
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 1:49 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Hello Mr. Miller!

I just finished the Knight Errant Novel and it was absolutely fantastic!! Great work Smile

"WHERE'S THE FIRE?! I've always loved that expression, which is curious since my lab assistant was killed in a fire."
- Walter Bishop

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:40 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

JJM interview over at roqoodepot

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:02 pm Reply with quote  

I can't wait to read the next comic arc. I'm a big Hutt fan, so seeing a Hutt villain whose a fighter pilot ought to be pretty cool for me. However, I wonder if this means we won't be seeing too many Sith.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

Page 2 of 2