Dark Empire II
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dark Empire II
 PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:51 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I'm currently listening to the Dark Empire II audio drama. I have a few comments:

1. Leia's opening dialogue/acting was horrendous

2. Dialogue overall is pretty bad

3. Optimus Prime first appeared in Dark Empire II

Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)

Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)

6. I only like this at present for nostalgic reasons. Otherwise...I can't imagine it being anything but scary. Confused

Edit: Agh! Boba Fett's voice! *ears bleeding* Boba Fett's dialogue! *sanity fading* Boba Fett's jet pack again?! *collapses from the horror of it all*

Edit Again: "But my Lord, the book says..." This is terrible! Shocked

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:17 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

You were warned about Fett's voice in the Ascension thread! In the comic, Solusar's redemption happens off screen. The DE1 audio drama is a lot better.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:21 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

LivingJediDream wrote:
You were warned about Fett's voice in the Ascension thread!

Indeed, I remember it being mentioned. But I didn't know it would be this bad!

I thought for sure it would get better, but it's only getting worse. Sad

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:08 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I think it's also worth noting that the dialogue of radio and audio dramas tends to be unnatural in the sense that the characters often have to describe what is going on to the audience. Same deal with the trilogy radio dramas, but they're fantastic. Not a fan of Fett's voice in those either, but it's not nearly as bad in them. I think his DE1 voice is the best, but it's been a while since I listened to it.

Boba Fett is simply not a character that translates well to audio dramas. He's a man of few words, yet he speaks a lot in them out of necessity. When he walks into the dining room in The Empire Strikes Back: "Hello Solo!" Ugh.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:22 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

Does Salacious say 'Hello in TV land' in the ROTJ audio drama, too?

Sorry to hear about, well, your torture at the hands of the audio drama. What's to be done with it once you're finished? Burned with a flame-thrower? destroyed in a trash compactor?
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

Life is like the Force - Luke Skywalker, Crucible. Damn straight I am.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:20 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

If he did that would be amazing. The ROTJ radio drama is the weakest of the trilogy because it isn't as long and in-depth and expand upon the film the way the other two do, and it was done about fifteen years apart from them. But it does have Mara Jade!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:26 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

LivingJediDream wrote:
But it does have Mara Jade!

*gasp* This I did not know! *rushes off to listen to the RotJ audio drama she's been ignoring all this time...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:58 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I don't understand why the Force was considered something you could just bestow on someone. Emperor Palpatine is like, "Kneel before me, Stormtrooper! I now knight you a Dark Jedi! *swirly ethereal Force sparkles whoosh from the Emperor into the stormtrooper* Mwahahahaha!" And the stormtrooper is suddenly a Force powerful Dark Jedi. Luke seems to do the same thing in reverse with Kam. Confused

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:11 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

In the comic he does it to his "dark side elite," so I think they are already FS, hes just promoting them in an extravagant manner.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:03 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I only know about the comics and don't know the audio drama, but it does seem that Palpatine was able to bestow his Dark Side powers upon normal beings too. I like the idea of the Dark Side Elite being force sensitives, but this isn't really apparent in the stories.
I'm not really fond of the Dark Empire comics and basically read them after learning about Luke's downfall in the Jedi Academy Trilogy. I just wanted to know what happened during that story. I found the Dark Empires lacking in both writing and artwork and really think the story could have been handled better if both Dark Empire series would have had a few extra issues to expand on certain events. Things like Luke's downfall to the Dark Side might have seemed less awkward if expanded on a little more.
I must admit that to me the whole series was a bunch of eyebrow raising events and strange characters just happening after one and another with a few cool scenes tucked in between.
I'm interested in the turning of Kam Solusar though, but not enough to listen to the audio drama though Wink

"You're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."

http://www.reedius.deviantart.com/

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:57 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

Mara Jade Skywalker wrote:
I don't understand why the Force was considered something you could just bestow on someone. Emperor Palpatine is like, "Kneel before me, Stormtrooper! I now knight you a Dark Jedi! *swirly ethereal Force sparkles whoosh from the Emperor into the stormtrooper* Mwahahahaha!" And the stormtrooper is suddenly a Force powerful Dark Jedi. Luke seems to do the same thing in reverse with Kam. Confused

This power should be canon. Imagine the possibilities! Wink

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:20 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Queen Padmè Skywalker wrote:

It's what the Nightsisters did to Savage Oppress...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 4:57 am Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

VileZero wrote:
Queen Padmè Skywalker wrote:

Desann did something similar. He imbued the power of the Force into non-sensitives. But it requires a special crystal, and a concentrated source of power like The Valley of the Jedi of Ruusan (from Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast).
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
-Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:57 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

So it seems they were already Force sensitive warriors, but kind of scrubs, and when he promoted them to high positions he imbued them similar to the Nightsisters. Which I suppose makes sense because Palpatine by this point was supposed to have studied every single known Force group and known all their techniques according to the DESB.

But they were still scrubs.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:03 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

VileZero wrote:

Too true, I had forgotten.

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 1 of 2