Grocery Stores/Supermarkets
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grocery Stores/Supermarkets
 PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:37 am Reply with quote  

This may sound completely off the wall and random, but every region tends to have their own selection of grocery stores and supermarkets. Out of pure curiosity, what do you have in your area?

Here in Missouri we have Kroger, Shop 'n Save, Aldi's, Shnucks, Dierbergs, and locally we have Mosers (one of my preferred stores). We used to have IGA but I think they all went out of business.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:47 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

^ I have never heard of any of those stores. Laughing

Where I come from we have Zehrs, Sobeys, No Frills, Food Basic's and Price Chopper.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

Last edited by Reepicheep on Sat Jun 04, 2011 4:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:52 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Ha! We don't have any of the stores that either of you mentioned. Only ones I even recognize are Kroger and IGA.

Here, I suppose the main grocery stores people frequent are Rouses, Albertsons and Winn-Dixie. Other than that, it's pretty much Wal-Mart. Rouses is my preference. Smile

We also have Acquistapace's, but that's not a chain, I don't believe.

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:56 pm Reply with quote  

Interesting. Synlah said they have Price Chopper in Kansas. And I know in Florida they have Winn-Dixie. I've been in there a few times. Even mowed the grass for them Cool

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:09 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Albertsons, Vons, Ralphs, and uhh, I think that's it. There's smaller ones like Henry's Farmers Market and Trader Joe's and Harvest Ranch.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 4:23 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Mara Jade Skywalker wrote:

Here, I suppose the main grocery stores people frequent are Rouses, Albertsons and Winn-Dixie. Other than that, it's pretty much Wal-Mart. Rouses is my preference. Smile

I think everyone has Wal-Mart. Wink

And of course we all know who is really running it.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:02 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

I like Walmart....

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:34 pm Reply with quote  

We have Tops, P&C, Weiss and Wegmans. Wegmans is pretty much the favorite to shop at. As a friend once explained "shopping at Wegmans is a religious experience" which pretty much sums it up.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:50 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Nobody has Publix? What is this madness? That's the main one here and in Florida.

Also around here and Florida: Kroger, Winn-Dixie, and Albertsons. Albertsons went out of business though all around Central Florida. The main thing I see anywhere is Publix.

Did some quick research and found that Publix is No. 8 on Forbes' 2010 list of America's Largest Private Companies and is the largest in Florida. Supermarket News ranked Publix No. 7 in the 2009 "Top 75 North American Food Retailers" based on 2008 fiscal year sales Based on 2006 revenue, Publix is the fifteenth-largest US retailer.

Despite all of that, Publix is only located in Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, Tennessee, and Alabama. I never realized that it wasn't more wide spread.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:55 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I haven't seen a Publix since I moved from Georgia a dozen years ago. Winn-Dixies used to be all over the south but I dunno if they're still as omni-present down there as they used to be. Does Stop n Shop still exist in New England? Meijer still is active in Michigan right?

Tops is the most prolific grocery store here, they used to own the equally-prolific convenience chain Wilson Farms but 711 just bought up WF (actual 711s are few and far between, my bet is WF stores will be converted starting 2012). Wegmans is second most common grocery chain though I utterly loathe that store a lot of my family prefers it over Tops, and they're slowly building more of them here and there. Save-A-Lot is super convenient to my house and with amazing prices though as a discount chain they don't always consistent selections of everything. Aldi is good too plus they occasionally have toys in there but the closest Aldi is out of my way so I rarely visit it.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:20 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I've got Ralphs, Vons, Albertsons, Food4Less, Gelsons, Smart & Final (Fart & Smile), Vallarta, Red Barn, and I believe thats it.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:40 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

In case anyone's wondering who this Synlah is that Skuldren spoke of, it's me. he's confusing my alter egos. Smile

So we've got Hen House, Price Chopper, Hy Vee, Aldi's and of course Walmart. We have the Walmart Neighborhood Groceries along with the regular Super Walmarts. We've also got Costco which is the best deal for a lot of things if you can do bulk shopping. Other than Costco, I generally shop at Walmart because their prices are overall cheaper than anyone else.

Ironically, the employee-owned chain, Hy Vee, tends to be higher-priced over all. You'd think they'd have more sympathy for the poor working person.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:39 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I have lived in a few areas - out east around DC we had Harris Teeter, in Denver we got King Soopers. Those are the only ones I did not see anyone else mention.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:29 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

Reepicheep wrote:
Mara Jade Skywalker wrote:

I think everyone has Wal-Mart. Wink

And of course we all know who is really running it.

I've never seen a Wal-Mart in person, though we have a few equivalents here. Actually, come to think of it, there aren't a lot of supermarkets around my area, with the emphasis on small country shops. Anyhoozelbees, my list is Tescos, Sainsburys for my immediate area. Morrisons is in the next city along, to the south, while there's a Budgens in the next city to the north, though even then that's a good hour's drive away. However, we do have a prevalent mini-grocery store, and that's One Stop.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

Life is like the Force - Luke Skywalker, Crucible. Damn straight I am.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:14 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Walmart, Lowes, Kmart, and a few others here in the Upper South.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina

Page 1 of 2