Boys In Fancy Armor
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:53 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Cryptum is a hardcover! And written in the first person! And I got confused just reading the book jacket!

Lots of stuff I didn't expect. Looking forward to reading it eventually.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:04 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

First person? Trying to think back to all the other stories, if they ever had first person parts. Contact Harvest did, but not so much that it could be considered a first person story. Do you think it will be like Fatal Alliance, in that the shifting perspectives sometimes deceive the reader?
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:15 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

I could certainly see them doing so to throw off the reader. However, it's kind of funny. Because even if you ignore the statement in Halo 3...

Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)

So I suppose I'm still curious what the mystery of this book might be. I think it's going to be a fascinating story all the same, but the dust jacket blurb just confuses me. Can't wait to read it and see what's up. Smile

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:37 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Mara, I've done a very bad thing. When you said the blurb was very confusing I went ahead and and looked on halopedia to find this blurb, as I didn't read it before buying (It's enough for me that it's a Halo book) and accidentally read a little bit of the plot synopsis. Unfortunately, I read more than I wanted before realising it wasn't the blurb. On the up side, while I've spoiled a little bit of it for me, you still don't know any of what I've read, so now I can tell you, safely but without spoiling it (although I'll use the spoiler tag anyway, but I don't really think of it as a spoiler)

Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)

I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:19 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Halo: Combat Evolved Remake

This may interest one or two of you out there. One thing that struck me as odd, though. It states that it'll support HD, I was under the impression (from a very reliable source-some guy on the internet) that the original had 1080p definition. In fact, the Xbox supports HD-it's just a lesser known capability because so few people had a HD ready tv at the time?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:30 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Life Is The Path wrote:
Halo: Combat Evolved Remake

This may interest one or two of you out there. One thing that struck me as odd, though. It states that it'll support HD, I was under the impression (from a very reliable source-some guy on the internet) that the original had 1080p definition. In fact, the Xbox supports HD-it's just a lesser known capability because so few people had a HD ready tv at the time?

No, the original game never supported 1080p. But this one will, and will also support 3D televisions. And since you can't play online with the original Xbox titles anymore, this will also have online multiplayer and co-op.

And this isn't just an HD-ifying of the source code. The game is being rebuilt from the ground up. Should be good!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:18 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Indeed, I'm looking forward to it, all except the multiplayer bit. I've never had live-gold.
However, are you sure about the 1080 bit?
I was looking round, trying to find a definitive answer, annd while that is still ongoing, I did find one or two who agreed with me. For instance:

Quote:

Halo CE ran at 1920 x 1080, but here in the UK back in 2001 or so the market was shifting to LCD and Plasma screens at standard definition. HD ready/full HD were non existent or very rare in shops if at all. So the component cable for the original xbox was never officialy released, we had to make do with a scart cable.

The first xbox game compatible with HD tv`s was Unreal Championship released around xmas 2001 and was also the first xbox live game during its beta test, (xbox live went live spring 2002) Unreal was compatible up to 480p on HD tvs but again you needed the rare composite or vga cable. This is where the yanks have the edge over us as they are a few years ahead in tech.

Peculiar. I'll have to email 343.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:42 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Does anyone mind if I expand this thread to include the games? It's just that there's a preview for the Halo: CE Anniversary Edition that one or two may be interested in.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:52 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

And I don't know how many of you are familiar with Operation Chastity, but...Lookee here

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:58 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Karen Traviss also wrote a trilogy of GEARS OF WAR books. I've never played the games, I just read those books. And oh my god, y'all MUST read those!! Phenomenal stuff.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:11 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Yes, I've been meaning to read those, but whenever I go to my amazon account, head into my saved basket, I see all the SW books I've yet to buy, and get distracted!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:31 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Life Is The Path wrote:
Yes, I've been meaning to read those, but whenever I go to my amazon account, head into my saved basket, I see all the SW books I've yet to buy, and get distracted!

well go to Amazon now while you have Gears Of War on your mind!!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:38 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

They're right next to the Rogue Squadron comics in my basket Crying or Very sad I - must - resist...

Shocked And Shadows of the Empire omnibus!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:45 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

wookie_inked wrote:
Karen Traviss also wrote a trilogy of GEARS OF WAR books. I've never played the games, I just read those books. And oh my god, y'all MUST read those!! Phenomenal stuff.

I know, I've been meaning to for so long! I really need to pick those up before the summer's out. I'm sure I'd enjoy them. Smile

@Life: Cryptum is not totally what I was expecting. I'm having a lot of trouble reading through it. Confused

@Life: The anniversary edition looks great! Too bad it's not for PC. Sad

@Life: That warthog! Shocked

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:23 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I know! I want that Warthog now. I want it!

Anyhoo, Mara, didn't you say you were thinking of getting a 360?

And I'm curious to know what you were expecting. I think I know what you mean about Cryptum. It took a while for me to get into it, too. Let me guess why you're having trouble: It seems passionless, impersonal? Too, the human races are not properly explained, so you're not really sure which ones are 'us'? It describes things - objects, armour, ships, even the Fore-runners themselves - not very well? It uses information that the writer thinks we're already privy too?

There were a few other things, but they happen near the end, and it sounds like you've not finished it yet, so I'll keep my mouth shut. However, while I can't defend the first two bits, I can sort of defend the third, and to a larger extent the fourth.

This book definitely needs research to be done by the reader, and that's something I don't agree with in any fiction book. However, looking on Halopedia, you can find pictures of the things he speaks of. Also, once I did more research on the Forerunner General, I was hugely impressed by the amount of detail they had - even in viral marketing - and that made me change my mind about the book.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina

Page 2 of 7