Book Stores
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
Book Stores
 PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:00 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Since the closure now of Borders Australia and Angus and Robertson are there any Melbourne, Australia ppl here who can point me in the direction of a GOOD bookstore.
I have used Amazon in the past but some suppliers do not send to Australia and I have had some damaged books sent to.
Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:41 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Sorry I'm not from Australia but may I share in the sadness of closing book stores? Sad

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:23 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

What is happening to humanity? Sad

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:57 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Queen Padmè Skywalker wrote:
What is happening to humanity? Sad

E-books and Amazon.com

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:33 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

They must be destroyed. Twisted Evil

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:54 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I had a bookstore in my local mall and it was replaced by Abercrombie. Evil or Very Mad

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:55 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Personally, I pretty much exclusively use Amazon now because I have Amazon Prime and I get free two day shipping on everything, and Amazon usually slashes the MSRP by 15-60% and there's no state sales tax (although I guess you're supposed to report it on your taxes). The only disadvantage is that you can't actually look through the book before purchasing, so I would use the bookstore for that before purchasing expensive books. And I would buy paperbacks at bookstores though, because Amazon generally doesn't mark those down and I prefer paying the slight sales tax over waiting a few days.

But now the only bookstore nearby closed, although the next closest two Barnes and Noble stores are actually fairly close. 10-15 minute drives instead of 5-10 minute drives depending on traffic, I guess?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:42 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Meh, you're spoiled, Jedi. Wink

I live about 15-20 minutes away from everything, anyway. So I'm completely used to it. When I begin to think something's far, we're talking about 45 minutes!

Anyway, none of our local bookstores have closed. All of the Borders in the surrounding areas have closed their doors, which is sad. But we have a few Books-A-Millions, and at least one Barnes and Noble. I'm like you, though, in that I buy the hardbacks from Amazon (free two-day shipping with Amazon Student), and the paperbacks from the store.

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:47 pm Reply with quote  

I could care less about book stores. Amazon, Ebay, and yard sales are way cheaper. The only thing I need to go to the store for is comic books.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:04 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

The convenience of Amazon Prime is hard to beat, thats where I get all my books and TPBs.

I do goto Barnes and Noble to shop for my son's books. He's two so we usually look at them together. They also have a huge toy Thomas the Train set up and he'll play with those for a while.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:19 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

If they close my Comic book store I would *nearly* die Mad

So it would seem Amazon is the status quo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:14 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

In my area - indeed, in my whole county, I believe - there are absolutely no comic stores to be seen.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it (or even read all of it). These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:31 am Reply with quote  

No comic book stores? How does everyone get their comics? Over here, none of the regular stores seem to sell comics. Book stores take forever to get new issues. Only way to get new comics in my area is comic book stores and they're aren't very many of them.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:24 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

Well, for TPBs and omnibi and things like that, we go to book stores like Waterstones, but their selection is very limited. I don't think I've ever seen a Star Wars TPB or omnibus on their shelves (and only a few books of SW themselves). But as for singular issues, we go - if we want to buy them from a shop - to some of the smaller convenience stores like WH Smiths. Yet even in Smiths the selection, again, is extremely limited, with only five or so different series. But no SW to speak of either.

I've only recently gotten into comics, and that was with SW Legacy-War and Knight Errant - all of my issues of those I bought off e-bay. I surmise others do the same, or come to an arrangement with some of the local convenience stores, where they're ordered in just for them.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it (or even read all of it). These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:32 am Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

I live up in the mountains and there are very few bookstores and none of them carry Star Wars and barely many scifi books. I have to go down the hill, over an hours drive to like 1 store that I know of and even there the star wars section is small.

Sometimes I find what I want I might want but if not I just go to amazon.com They ship within 3 days so I get them pretty quick. We do have a thrift store so on occasion I go there and pick up maybe 1 or 2 star wars books for like $0.25 cents to a dollar.

There was this other book store I'd go to that had alot of star wars books but that place went backrupted like 7 years ago. And the internet caffee on the mountain had some novels but they closed after only being up for like 6 months.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina

Page 1 of 2