Book Stores
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:20 am Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

So it does seem that book stores are a dying breed for good sci-fi.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:29 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Book stores are pretty much a dying breed period. Amazon is the new model. You can get both hard copies (cheaper than a bookstore) and ebooks.

Barnes and Nobles: their ebooks out sold their hard copies 3 to 1, and they still posted a loss. It costs to maintain and run those brick and mortar stores. All Amazon needs is a warehouse for hard copies.

Borders: it's a mess. Their ereader hasn't caught on, and they've closed a lot of stores. I just got an email ad today: you can get Choices of One for 41% off if you pre-order. And Amazon is still selling Choices at a cheaper discount at 43%. Borders is selling A Dance with a Dragon at 46% discount with pre-order. Borders is scrambling to stay alive and I don't think they're going to make it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:04 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

If we lose Books A Million and Barnes and Nobles, I may considering relocating to another planet. Wink

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:07 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Padme, you have to get an ereader. Cheaper, easier and quicker to acquire the book, and you save gas too.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:03 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

The only issue with buying from Amazon is what happens in case of a postal strike.

Canada is knee-deep in a postal strike now. When it started, to keep the system working, the postal people only protested in one major Canadian city per day. But now there's a total lockout; no mail is getting delivered at all in the whole country, with the exception of things like pension cheques. Thankfully, the last thing I bought from Amazon arrived before the lockout.

So if I want books now, I have to go to the bookstore. Not a bad thing, but I recently made the switch to Amazon, so it's irritating to have to go back. Thankfully, I suspect that the mail strike will be resolved by the time Choices of One comes out. Back-to-work legislation is going through the House of Commons, and mail should resume next week.

So a question to the other Canucks on the boards: anyone affected by this strike (in terms of Star Wars purchases)?
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
-Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:06 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Taral, get an ereader. They're not affected by postal strikes. And I can't remember the last time we had a postal strike in this country. Actually, I can't remember if we've ever had one. Government workers can't strike.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:02 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

Cerrinea wrote:
Padme, you have to get an ereader. Cheaper, easier and quicker to acquire the book, and you save gas too.

I'm always going to prefer having an actual hard copy of a book in my hands. Smile

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:24 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

Yeah, same here. While it seems there's a prevalence of ebooks over hard copies - and indeed there's been a closure of 1/3 of Waterstones shop over here - I don't think t'll affect my area just yet. We've only one proper book shop in the area - Waterstones - and a second hand book shop. Which I'm not really allowed to go into...
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:07 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Cerrinea wrote:
Taral, get an ereader. They're not affected by postal strikes. And I can't remember the last time we had a postal strike in this country. Actually, I can't remember if we've ever had one. Government workers can't strike.

Canada Post is technically a Crown Corporation, halfway between a government agency and a corporate entity. Gives them more leeway.

As for an ereader, they're not for me. I love owning books, in paper (ideally in hardcover). I love holding them in my hand, turning the page. Then putting it on the shelf with all the rest, looking so complete.

I see the appeal of portable ereaders (last time I went on a business trip, I brought 7 books, and was so sick I just wanted to sleep on all my downtime; meant I read maybe 100 pages of one of them). I bought my mother a Kobo (Canada's Nook) and she loves it, especially when at the cottage or otherwise traveling. But it's not for me.
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
-Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:56 am Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Sorry I prefer the feel of a real book. eBooks have a real off color screen.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina

Page 2 of 2