The Force Unleashed II *SPOILERS*
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Gaming View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:21 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I think the most fun you can have in these types of games -- at least that I've had with Ninja Gaiden and Devil May Cry -- is when you fight enemies that are pretty similar to you, i.e. sword on sword. It's satisfying when you perfectly time a parry to deflect an attack.

The enemies in TFU are not a threat to Starkiller on their own. I think that's part of the issue. He's beaten when he's overwhelmed. And the enemies that are threats aren't fun, like the wardroids, because then they're not your equal, they're above you in the sense that you can't parry their attacks or make them recoil when you hit them.

I had thought TFU2 might go in this direction with the clone angle, allowing for more enemies using lightsabers than in TFU1, but other than a few guys on the Salvation and the aberrant clones at the end (plus Vader) you didn't get that. Although they did add a parry ability for those types of enemies.

They need to inject more elements from the Jedi Knight games into TFU3, at the very least.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 9:02 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

So I've been thinking back about this game somewhat nostalgically, which made me realize that the game itself isn't so bad.

It's short in comparison to its predecessor, which I think is the biggest negative that the game has. The problem is that when you couple that with some design decisions that were made and some story decisions that were made, it exacerbated the problem.

The lack of diversity in the level designs really hurt the game and made it seem even shorter than it was. Nonetheless, from a world building perspective, the level design for Kamino and Cato Neimodia were fantastic, and IMO equal or better to than anything in the first game. The Salvation is the exception... the TIE Fighter Factory level to TFU1 is a lot better.

That the game ended on a cliffhanger ending was probably meant to parallel The Empire Strikes Back, but it gave the story the feeling that it was half finished by making it seem like half of a story. If the game wasn't as short as it was, this wouldn't have been a problem at all.

Finally, while I really like the ambiguity in whether or not Starkiller was a clone, which I am thinking is a lot like whether or not Deckard is a replicant, leaving it open-ended also had the same effect as the cliffhanger ending. I kind of hope they don't answer it at this point.

Otherwise, the actual gameplay is improved over the first game, and the new Force power (mind trick) is a lot better than the one that was replaced (lightning shield). The enemies were pretty interesting overall and had pretty decent design. I think if the game was given another level or two, even abbreviated ones, maybe set before and after Dagobah, it would alleviate a lot of the other perceived issues with the game.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 9:07 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

LivingJediDream wrote:
Finally, while I really like the ambiguity in whether or not Starkiller was a clone, which I am thinking is a lot like whether or not Deckard is a replicant, leaving it open-ended also had the same effect as the cliffhanger ending. I kind of hope they don't answer it at this point.

This is exactly what it's like. Depending on the version of the movie you watch, and the various opinions one may have, Deckard ends up being all kinds of things! But one thing he is not...an answer to the question. And it seems the same is with Starkiller. However, I do feel like it was more of a sloppy situation where TFU II is concerned than Blade Runner. Unfortunately.

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 9:12 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

In an interview I had heard with Sean Williams, he made it sound as though there was a definitive answer to that, as well as the situation with Juno at the end, but he intentionally didn't answer.

I think the different variants of the stories simply provided varying amounts of evidence for each perspective, leaving someone that believes there has to be a definitive answer within the content to believe it to be one way or another.

On Blade Runner, I don't think it was intended to be ambiguous. Harrison says he and Ridley agreed that he wasn't a replicant during filming, but Ridley went in and did the unicorn scene in post-production. The studio took it out. Plus Ridley says he's a replicant, while others like Harrison Ford say he isn't. Sean Williams wasn't forthcoming with an answer.

I think that these sorts of things, like whether Anakin was conceived by the Force or created by Plagueis, are the sorts of things that a simply more interesting as questions than as answers.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:40 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Just got TFUII for my PS3. Great game so far! The story is kinda stupid compared to the masterpiece (IMO) that was the first one, though...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:20 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

You need to read the book before you play the game IMO. That's what I did and it definitely improved my experience of the game. It's a good game of the book, but if you haven't read the book, then it would seem quite random jumping around all these planets with no real explanation as to why.
F*** these chains
No damn slave
I will be different!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:28 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Agreed. The book enhances the story to the game quite a bit and provides context.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:29 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I just got the game today and.....
Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:02 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Finished! lol about an hour ago Smile

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:11 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

@Sanith: Which system do you have it for?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:26 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

i have it for the Wii

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:19 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I rented this game a few months ago and found it mostly disappointing. Not only is it far too short in my mind, the story did little for me. I see some posts saying that you should read the book to really get the game, and in my mind that's proof of a badly made game. You shouldn't need a novel to understand why a game goes from one location to another.

I really think their mistake, storywise, was to continue with Starkiller. I felt his story ended nicely in the first game. This just downplays what happens at the end of the first game. If I was part of the team that created this game, I would have suggest moving onto a whole new character, maybe several years into the future. Have it set in the New Jedi Order time frame.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:18 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

The thought at the time was that a sequel would deal with Maris Brood. I think the inter-trilogy time period was the best way to go given the freedom afforded, and I think that it has more mass appeal to SW videogame players than the NJO period. A lot of people that play SW games are fans of the films and not the literature or comics; I think that's why we haven't seen any game that has diverged from the films beyond involving the Imperial Remnant after Return of the Jedi.

Personally, while I like Starkiller's story in the first game and it nicely ties up his absence in future stories, I think bringing him back is only a mistake if he's killed off at the end of a hypothetical third game, but he does needs a satisfying resolution to his story again. I think the brevity of the story to TFU2 is the biggest issue, because I think the premise itself could support a strong story, that is, Starkiller evading Vader and his bounty hunters and just trying to live.

I am curious to see where they take the character now, especially with the idea that he's not a Jedi and not a Sith. The end of the first game suggested he'd taken up his heritage as a Jedi, but the sequel has left that somewhat open. His sole desire is somewhat at odds with the idea of him being a Jedi in the sense of the Old Republic type.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:23 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Oh I know the idea of a NJO period game is far risker then one that takes place between the two trilogies and really don't expect to see any, however I would still love it and think they should do it. One of the great things, business wise, about Star Wars is how many mediums they have products in and the abilities to cross market. Since the Force Unleash was a popular game and the way it seemed to wrap up Starkiller's story regardless of which option you decided on at the end, it was a good opening for Lucasarts to cross market another period by shifting the game's focus but keeping the popular mechanics. Until the ads started, I can't think of one person who actually thought Starkiller would be the main character in the sequel, I don't think many people would be overly pissed about the shift unless they removed the mechanics that people enjoyed in the first.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:19 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I've been feeling nostalgic for this lately. I need closure to the story, darn it! I was really hoping that TFU3 was going to be announced at E3. I wonder if they're waiting for Star Wars Kinect's release to avoid confusion, or if the game was legitimately cancelled. Last I heard it wasn't, as reports before its release that it was were erroneous, and after the bad reviews it was said that they were trying to figure out the best way to approach the third game's story -- presumably due to the absence of story from the second game and Blackman's departure from LucasArts. Plus they need to figure out a way to remove Kota and Starkiller from the equation before Episode IV.

Page 7 of 8