Mara Jade Skywalker
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Characters of the Expanded Universe View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:31 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

This whole argument is what created the Sith.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:15 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Isn't this thread suppose to be about Mara?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:19 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

grayJeedai08 wrote:
Isn't this thread suppose to be about Mara?

Well, it's been about why she didn't accelerate her pregnancy with Ben, and discussion about the ethics of that! I think the short answer is that the ability to accelerate or decelerate pregnancy hadn't been invented OOU yet.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:25 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I see. I dig the Bladerunner avatar.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:34 am Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

[quote="Reepicheep"]Mara would have been awesome in FotJ. Just imagine her in a room alone with Hamner and Daala. There would be blood.[/quote]

Mara (to Hamner): You helped us back when I was pregnant by giving Luke and I a head's-up to Fey'lya's plans, and now you're just giving in to Daala? When in the nine Corellian hells did you become such a push-over?

Hamner: Don't you see, Mara? I'm doing the Jedi a favor.

Mara (scoffs): Yeah? From where I'm standing, you're just being a sell out.

At least, that's how I see that scene going down.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:28 am Reply with quote  

Sort of off topic and random, but along the lines of a Mara/Hamner confrontation. The old Jedi Order was big on non-attachment. Along that line of thinking, would a Jedi even hesitate to strike down Hamner if he posed a threat to the Jedi Order? Wouldn't non-attachment mean you don't care if he lives or dies because you have no attachment to him. Your only goal is selflessness and the good of the whole. Of course that sounds a bit like Jacen and his "ends justify the means."

Where is the line between selfless non-attachment caring more about the greater good and ends justify the means outlooks? In LOTF, Jacen became a Sith because he believed the ends justified the means. Mara went after Jacen like an assassin because she thought the end justified the means. Back in KOTOR, the Jedi refused to enter the war with the Mandalorians because they felt their involvement would make things worse. Another case of the ends justifies the means. By ignoring those who needed help, they though the could avoid further turmoil and bloodshed in the end.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:03 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I get the sense that Jedi generally don't believe the ends justify the means. I'm not sure how that plays into the 'no attachment' rule. It's a good question.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:19 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

FatalFist wrote:
lol...well u end up wid Talon Karrde=p after the emperor dies=D
________
Ok now i really didnt read the entire 3 parts...but there was a book abt bounty hunters...a Troshodan....and Bobba Fett(The Guy Who Looked after HiM after the Salaac episode and a girl(i suspect was MJ)frm Jabbas palace(she apparently has forgotten evything...So cuz i really didnt read the entire series i dont know....I think If That Was Mara thats the closest we've read abt her relating to her past...

My apologies if this has been already clarified. Read a lot of the posts for this thread and thought Id put a few thoughts about Mara.

According to EU lore Mara was in Jabbas palace in Jedi disguised as a dancer named Arica, the stories go she is in the background and tried to get to luke but he and han and chewie get led away to the Sarlacc Pit and she never got the chance.

The books you refer to are the Bounty Hunter Wars Trilogy by K.W.Jeter. The girl in question is Neelah who is a a member of the Kuat ruling family not Mara. Dengar is the bounty hunter you mentioned.

I love the scenes in Vision Of The Future which never gets much mention of the conversations Luke and Mara have in the fortress and how they both realise how much they love each other. To me thats Zahns best book. Love also how Mara always called Luke a farmboy long after they were married.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:00 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

I REALLY hope they keep Mara in VII, if not, I will be one VERY unhappy SW fan. J.J. hopefully does the series justice, if he messes it up, he will forever be know as Jar Jar Abrams.

ALWAYS

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:00 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

jameron4eva wrote:
I REALLY hope they keep Mara in VII, if not, I will be one VERY unhappy SW fan. J.J. hopefully does the series justice, if he messes it up, he will forever be know as Jar Jar Abrams.

I agree.
I read many post Return of the Jedi books. If they discard every EU character, I would miss Mara the most from them.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Characters of the Expanded Universe

Page 19 of 19