Book Collections
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Collecting View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:30 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Alan Skywalker, there is an omnibus, called Under Black Sun, but when I bought the others off eBay (at around $25-35 or so), it cost well over $60. So I tried to get the other three individually, and failed miserably.
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
-Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:18 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

Interesting list, Taral! Something did interest me, though. You've the TPB of Shadows of the Empire. I had doubts as to its existence when I went searching for such a thing, as I could only find details of the omnibus.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:32 am Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

The only soft cover Shadows of the Empire was the Making Of book.
Interesting read that one

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:46 am Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Life Is The Path wrote:
Interesting list, Taral! Something did interest me, though. You've the TPB of Shadows of the Empire. I had doubts as to its existence when I went searching for such a thing, as I could only find details of the omnibus.

http://www.darkhorse.com/Books/46-618/Star-Wars-Shadows-of-the-Empire-TPB

It's still in print and available too, according to the Dark Horse page (you can tell because it has the "Buy Now" tage.

Amazon UK doesn't have it listed as "in stock" anymore though.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Star-Wars-Shadows-Empire-Shadow/dp/1569711836/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1308933803&sr=8-7
No matter though; the story is identical to the one in the omnibus.
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:57 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Aha! Thanks, Taral. I had seen the SOTE TPB Wook page, but I couldn't find it on any of my internet haunts (where I get my comics). I think I'll order that now, then! I'm curious, though. How much more, in terms of the original story, is expanded upon in the omnibus? Or are they more a collection of stories that are only loosely connected to the original SOTE?
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:46 am Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

The Omnibus only contains the six issues of Shadows of the Empire, the six issues of Mara Jade: By the Emperor's Hand (plus the #0 bit), and the five issues of Shadows of the Empire: Evolution. It doesn't include the fair amount of SOTE tie-ins, like The Jabba Tape or the Kenner tie-in comics.

If you own SOTE: Evolution and Mara Jade, then just buy the SOTE TPB.

Admittedly, I own the Omnibus AND the three books therein, but that's because I've made a point to buy all omnibuses, regardless of what I have in my collection. My hope is that I can one day give the bulk of the redundant issues and TPBs to my eventual-kids or my actual-nephew or niece (they're only 2, and I don't see them nearly enough, but I'm trying my best to indoctrinate them into Star Wars, starting with the Star Wars Scanimation book and the learn-to-read biography of Darth Vader lol).

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:23 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Haha. I hope the indoctrination goes well, Taral! And thanks for the information. It's very informative ( Laughing ). Admittedly I have been thinking about getting the Mara Jade comics, so the omnibus appeals to me, but I haven't done enough research into that line of comics to feel secure enough about jumping in(though I have an inkling from your post that those issues are it) - typically, when I want to explore a certain series or event, I like to jump with both feet, and emerge myself fully in the story. I don't know if I'll get that with the omnibus, so I'll hold off for now.

But I have just ordered the TPB of SOTE. Thanks once again, Taral!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:11 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Taral, are you going to print off all of the short stories you saved?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:13 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I wish there were omnibuses for Jedi Apprentice and Jedi Quest. I have less than half of Apprentice, and I'm missing "Moment of Truth" from Quest.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:00 am Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Alan Skywalker V wrote:
Taral, are you going to print off all of the short stories you saved?

I printed the Lost Tribe of the Sith books, and have a pair of duotangs that contain them. As for the rest, most are sufficiently short that I have no problem reading them on the screen. Only the Lost Tribe ones are hard to read on the screen, since they're like 40 pages each.

I may print some of the other ones one day. Who knows. Probably not the short comics though (The Clone Wars tie-in comics, Republic 0, Crimson Empire III 0, etc.)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:00 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Alan Skywalker V wrote:
I wish there were omnibuses for Jedi Apprentice and Jedi Quest. I have less than half of Apprentice, and I'm missing "Moment of Truth" from Quest.

Yes! That is the most hard to find Star Wars book, ever. You can read my triumphant story about the eventual purchasing of the book (in the best way possible, considering how hard it is to find) in one of these threads around here. Let me go see which one...

...well I can't find it. But anyway, I finally found it at a thrift store for $1. And it was in perfect condition. It was the best way to end a years long search. Smile

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:37 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Gotta love thrift stores!

My wife is a manager at the local Value Village (also known as Savers). So I get spouse-of-an-employee discounts, which for books is like 50%. And the books are already only like $1.99!

It's been useful for filling the collection, especially when it comes to young reader books. If my wife sees Star Wars books on the shelf when she's shopping after work, she'll call me and say "Do you own this? this? What about this?" And I'm all "Own it. Own it. NEED IT!!!!"

Last time I was there the store conveniently had a section they called "Geek Sheek". We were irritating by the intentional misspelling of Chic, but they conveniently put all their Star Wars and other sci-fi books together. I found 5 Jedi Quest/Last of the Jedi books!

And remember: purchasing from any thrift store, VV/Savers included, directly benefits a charity. So spend!!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:54 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

The lowest seller price I've seen on Amazon for "Moment of Truth" is $25, but I'm not that desperate ... or crazy ... yet.

Most of the others can be bought for a little as a penny, but "Moment of Truth" ... stupid.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:09 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

For some unknown reason (I suppose I could research it), Moment of Truth was discontinued well before the others. Up until very recently you could still buy any of the series in Books-A-Million, save for Moment of Truth. I remember beginning my search several years ago, and it had already been discontinued at that point, despite the book stores carrying the other 9 for several more years. I have no idea the reason behind it, though now I am interested to go look.

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:28 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Huh. Weird that one would be discontinued before the others.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Collecting

Page 2 of 6