Boys In Fancy Armor
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:54 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

With Halo 4 coming out, I am very seriously considering getting a 360. Hopefully I'll follow through with that. Wink

Yes! You are exactly right. You have hit the nail on the head on most points. I suppose I expected it to be like all the other books (very action oriented), but from the Forerunner perspective. Instead, I get this seemingly blase narrative of a bitter little Forerunner who doesn't know what he wants from the Universe.

Although, as you also said, I'm getting into it a good deal more! I've just hit page 100, and I'm finding that it's a lot more interesting already. Those first 80 pages or so...pretty difficult to get through. But it's definitely coming around. Smile

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:28 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I found Cryptum to be better than any of the other Halo novels because it had the sense of wonder and alienness to it that the first game captured so perfectly.

I would get a 360 to play Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary. Although Halo Reach is really good too. Maybe get one now, pick up Reach, which is a prequel to the first game, and then carry on with Halo: CEA.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:17 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

Sounds like a good idea, Dream! Though I should warn you, Bungie pretty much threw pre-established canon out the window when making Reach (or at least bent it a lot).

Kinect Support for Halo: CE Anniversary Edition

Mara, I've been there! Those first few pages were really quite difficult, but, trust me, it gets better!
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

Last edited by Life Is The Path on Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:10 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:21 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

And since you bring up Halo 4, I feel that's enough of an excuse to put up the trailer here for those who like Halo, but haven't seen it yet: Halo 4 E3 Trailer

Very Happy

PS. To those who haven't, be sure to turn your sound up!
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:42 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I'm not sure which part of Reach you're referring to?
Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)

Or the general state of things with Halsey speculating on the existence of the Sangheili in "Fall of Reach" despite them being fairly common? I think Halo Wars (and "The Cole Protocol"?) nullified that first.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:27 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Actually, no.

Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:19 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/06/30/halo-glasslands-novel-arrives-this-october/

Edit: Oh, didn't notice your reply. I read an explanation of the Pillar of Autumn that makes sense with Fall of Reach. It picked up Chief in orbit, he went into freeze, then it came back down to Reach to evacuate more people. And I guess the thing with Cortana was that she was split in two, so that Noble Six had part of her personality but the rest of her was with Chief, that way she got the information that Halsey found on Reach during the siege that she otherwise wouldn't have gotten because she was with Chief in orbit. But I'm going off memory so I could be wrong.

Didn't she split herself in two during First Strike as well?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:15 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Whoo! Love the name, love the cover. Can't wait! Very Happy

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:18 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Hmm. The press release says the human is a Spartan. I don't recognise the armour. My guess is it's rather a Helljumper.

And that's interesting, Crash. I'm all for a retcon, it's merely that Bungie has always been so good with keeping things in line.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:24 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

The helmet is the Recon helmet that was originally introduced in Halo 3 as a Bungie exclusive helmet, but I think they gave it to everyone who played on Bungie Day 7/7 a certain year (I missed out). It's in Halo Reach, I have it, but I forgot how I got it. I think it was a preorder bonus or it came with the Legendary edition?

http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/Recon

I'm all for some Thel 'Vadam action, or even Rtas 'Vadum. Thel's my homeboy, I enjoyed the Gilgamesh/Enkidu dynamic between him and Chief. I also liked seeing Thel and Rtas interact.

Edit: Durr, the link I put says you can get the helmet and armor via the vidmaster achievements. The FLAMING helmet is what Bungie gave out. I have that in Reach too. And it seems the first run of Halo Reach came with it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:40 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Ah, that's what I thought, but I dismissed it because of the visor. In the original picture, the faceplate is more fuller, is more open at the side, but the Recon one is just a slit at the side.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:51 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Greg Bear's second novel in the Forerunner trilogy, Primordium, will be available in book and audio editions on 3rd January 2012 .

Primordium? Really? They're just finding obscure words that sound cool in order to make more sales.

Well, it works. On me, at least.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:56 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/07/22/halo-anniversary-footage-shows-off-silent-cartographer/

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:56 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Oh, dear, sweet mango pips, I want this game. I want it now! I think I may have to perform a Fanboys-esque trek to get my hands on it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:17 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Not Spatans, but Karen Traviss authored.

Five more days.

For some reason, I always associated the menu theme to Gears of War with a musical cue from Aliens.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXPwEmwMWYE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PalzmOJ32wk

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina

Page 3 of 7