I think I figured out something about Darth Maul...
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Aush's EU Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
I think I figured out something about Darth Maul...
 PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:10 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

For the blu-ray releases, it looks like so far that The Phantom Menace is the only movie that's definitely been remastered, and it's speculated that this is to implement the digital Yoda to replace the puppet. When I saw the midnight showing for The Phantom Menace back in 1999, I swore Darth Maul didn't get cut in half, because it totally surprised me the next time I saw it and he fell apart into two pieces. I always thought it was because I was tired and not paying attention the first time so I didn't notice it.

Well, it appears that some 35mm prints with that death were originally sent out to theaters and that it was made in order to remain PG if it received a PG-13 rating for that scene, but it wasn't necessary.

So I'm wondering if Lucas is going to do a "Greedo shoots first" edit on The Phantom Menace on blu-ray and 3D and restore that death for Maul instead of the bisection death, which would go toward explaining his survival.

I wasn't sure if this was the right forum, since it wasn't exclusively about TCW or Episode I.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:19 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Well, not being cut in half would certainly explain how Maul could have survived.

"You're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."

http://www.reedius.deviantart.com/

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:45 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

The Blu Ray release will NOT have digital Yoda in it. It's a straight up port of the DVDs, pink lightsabers and all.

If you want the newest editions, you'll have to wait until the films hit theaters with the 3D updates, which will have these changes.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:47 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

VileZero wrote:
The Blu Ray release will NOT have digital Yoda in it. It's a straight up port of the DVDs, pink lightsabers and all.

If you want the newest editions, you'll have to wait until the films hit theaters with the 3D updates, which will have these changes.

It's already been demonstrated that The Phantom Menace blu-ray is a new transfer. It's not a port. Maybe Return of the Jedi and the rest of the OT are ports, but The Phantom Menace isn't. I don't recall there being an issue with pink lightsabers outside of the DVD editions of the original trilogy anyway.

Crash Override wrote:
DVD:

Blu-ray Trailer:

The color timing is entirely different and the red tint is gone. Since The Phantom Menace is apparently the only film with a new transfer, it seems likely that it's due to the introduction of the digital Yoda, which would require a new transfer to insert. I've not seen anything one way or another confirming or denying the digital Yoda's inclusion, but I'd say the new transfer is definitely indicative of it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:17 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

I will be annoyed if they change Maul's demise to try to explain his reappearance.

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:04 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Oh please no... Confused

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:09 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Crash Override wrote:
VileZero wrote:

It's already been demonstrated that The Phantom Menace blu-ray is a new transfer. It's not a port. Maybe Return of the Jedi and the rest of the OT are ports, but The Phantom Menace isn't. I don't recall there being an issue with pink lightsabers outside of the DVD editions of the original trilogy anyway.

Crash Override wrote:
DVD:

Blu-ray Trailer:

The color timing is entirely different and the red tint is gone. Since The Phantom Menace is apparently the only film with a new transfer, it seems likely that it's due to the introduction of the digital Yoda, which would require a new transfer to insert. I've not seen anything one way or another confirming or denying the digital Yoda's inclusion, but I'd say the new transfer is definitely indicative of it.

That could easily be cleaning up the transfer. I've read nothing that has said that TPM will have a new transfer for Blu Ray, and the specs don't mention it either...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:21 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Altering the color timing requires a new transfer. There's also black crush in the DVD that's not present in the blu-ray that would also require a new transfer. This is noticeable in the posted picture in the top left of the image.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:09 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

This IS interesting news. I never thought they'd have done that. But sure 'nough.

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-To become a Jedi, it is not the Force one must learn to control but oneself.
-
-Podcasts: Star Wars Beyond the Films, The Star Wars Report, & EUCast

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:48 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Greedo shot first!

And I'll be surprised, VERY surprised, if Maul continues to be cut in half on the Blu Ray or at least the 3-D release. I'm certain ILM will change the scene so he falls in one piece because I get the feeling that George always wish he'd left Maul's death more open-ended, less final. That's probably why Oppress and no-longer-dead Maul were dreamed up for Clone Wars because Mr. Lucas wanted to give Palpatine's first apprentice more time to shine the way he did throughout the duels in TPM.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:21 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

wookie_inked wrote:
Greedo shot first!

And I'll be surprised, VERY surprised, if Maul continues to be cut in half on the Blu Ray or at least the 3-D release. I'm certain ILM will change the scene so he falls in one piece because I get the feeling that George always wish he'd left Maul's death more open-ended, less final. That's probably why Oppress and no-longer-dead Maul were dreamed up for Clone Wars because Mr. Lucas wanted to give Palpatine's first apprentice more time to shine the way he did throughout the duels in TPM.

I would like to see it explained differently and not have them change the ending of TPM. But I guess we'll see it when the time has come....

"You're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."

http://www.reedius.deviantart.com/

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:06 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Location: Greeley, Colorado, America, Earth, Sol System, Sector 13-A, Outer Rim, Milky Way Galaxy

I really enjoy TCW. I dealt with the Mando stuff, the Even Piell thing, but this.... I still hold the idea that it's either

A. Maul's ghost
B. Maul's Holocron
C. A Clone of Maul
or D. Darth Maul as he was in the Old Wounds comic. With the prosthetic legs.

But, I think that it is a bit ironic that George "killed off" Maul, and his daughter bough him back to life.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:11 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I had heard that Lucas purposely had Maul cut in two because he didn't want him to be another Boba Fett. Thus, the idea of changing his death to allow his survival makes sense to me, because he essentially put a placeholder death into the film to prevent the EU from doing anything with Maul, and now that he's revisiting it he'll make it a "survivable death," so to speak, so that he can use the character himself.

I don't think Lucas intended to use Maul again after killing him off because I don't think he had any idea he was going to get into Star Wars on TV when he wrote and directed TPM, but it seems to have worked out well for him now if that's what he's going to do.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:45 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

If so, I will be a bit disgusted.

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:14 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Queen Padmè Skywalker wrote:
If so, I will be a bit disgusted.

Hypothetically speaking, would you be disgusted if he added Boba Fett escaping the Pit of Carkoon?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Aush's EU Cantina

Page 1 of 4