Article on Ebook Prices

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Creative Works View previous topic :: View next topic  
Article on Ebook Prices
 PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 9:03 am Reply with quote  

Not sure if anyone is interested, but I wrote a detailed article that examines why eBook prices are so high. I thought it was a fairly interesting subject when I dug into it. I found out some neat things that I didn't know. It ties into Star Wars a little bit since Random House/Del Rey will be releasing a bunch of Star Wars eBooks at the end of June. This might help you form your expectations.

http://roqoodepot.com/2011/05/24/ebook-prices-propping-up-a-dying-system/

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:02 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Sorry, I haven't seen this until now -my computer was dead when you wrote it.

There is something I'd like to comment. I don't think there should be a big difference in price between books and ebooks. Around $1 or 2. That's really paper and ink's price. The job behind an ebook it's exactly the same behind any other book. I know it because I make my translations in ebooks, as similar to originals books in English as I can. Sometimes, it takes me days to do it, even with a profesional program as an Adobe ID.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:47 am Reply with quote  

Personally I think eBooks should be cheaper because there is no printing/shipping costs. Authors write the books in digital text files already, so transferring them over and adjusting the appearance isn't something that should affect the per unit price. Even with translations, I don't think that should affect the per unit price. It just doesn't seem justifiable to the consumer.

That said, I don't think eBooks should be priced at 99 cents. They're still stories and a good story should be able to warrant a acceptable price. I know a lot of authors doing self-publishing seem to agree that $5 (USD) is the magic mark for a full length novel.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:04 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Darth Skuldren wrote:
Personally I think eBooks should be cheaper because there is no printing/shipping costs. Authors write the books in digital text files already, so transferring them over and adjusting the appearance isn't something that should affect the per unit price. Even with translations, I don't think that should affect the per unit price. It just doesn't seem justifiable to the consumer.

There has to be someone who makes the adjustement -a salary to be paid- and someone in the other side of the screen -another salary. And it's better if we don't talk about translation. I'm not a professional and I do it for fun -well, you know what I mean-, but we are talking about a month of work. In the best cases, this is.

In fact, this is one of the reason we don't have series in my language anymore. You know, we had to wait around 7-8 years to read the end of NJO (some people haven't recieved some of their copies yet) and there isn't any plan about LotF or FotJ, but we already have Millennium Falcon.

So, yes, they should be cheaper, but not more than $1 or 2. In my case, no more than €1 or 2.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:22 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Darth Skuldren wrote:

That said, I don't think eBooks should be priced at 99 cents. They're still stories and a good story should be able to warrant a acceptable price. I know a lot of authors doing self-publishing seem to agree that $5 (USD) is the magic mark for a full length novel.

We actually disscussed this on the Star Wars Report, your article even Skuldren. I loved how you broke it down. Make me sick that the publishers seem to only care about Hardcover sales. I honestly think if they released the book in all formats for a year (that's a year of every book being released in all formats all at once) that we'd see that Hardcovers don't make up the majority of sales. I bet what you have is a lot of fans like myself who WILL NOT wait the year to get our paper back and thus buy it on kindle or Hardcover first.

If it's going to be a dead system kill it- don't band-aid it till we're getting milked of our money. (which is what it feels like the end goal will be)

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-To become a Jedi, it is not the Force one must learn to control but oneself.
-
-Podcasts: Star Wars Beyond the Films, The Star Wars Report, & EUCast

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:22 am Reply with quote  

Well Border's officially died yesterday. All of their stores will be closing up by September. Question now is how many more will follow, and what will the survivors due to stay alive?

And I agree, IR2. I'm one of those people who buy the hardcover because I don't have the patience to wait for the paperback. I still can't believe they think it's okay to make eBooks the same price as hardcovers until the paperback releases. Business strategies like that make me think a lot less of the publishing companies.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:41 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Darth Skuldren wrote:

And I agree, IR2. I'm one of those people who buy the hardcover because I don't have the patience to wait for the paperback. I still can't believe they think it's okay to make eBooks the same price as hardcovers until the paperback releases. Business strategies like that make me think a lot less of the publishing companies.

Yep. Time to reset some things. Value has no value with the levels of corporate greed out there Laughing

But no doubt in my mind that if left as it was that Hardcovers were the new minority, and to save their breadwinner they'll do what ever necessary all while making more money while doing it. Corporate America come soon to the U.K. through Star Wars, one book, comic, and tv episode at a time. hehehe

Next we'll get a shortage of books cause someone has to practice Lean Manufacturing and some "issue" will cause the supply to be reduced driving the demand, thus the price of the books.

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-To become a Jedi, it is not the Force one must learn to control but oneself.
-
-Podcasts: Star Wars Beyond the Films, The Star Wars Report, & EUCast

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:39 am Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Speaking of ebook sales and hardcovers, American Association of Publishers (AAP) released its monthly sales report:

Quote:
Category 2011 YTD 2010 YTD Percent Change
Adult Paperback $473.1 Million $576.4M -17.9%
E-Books $389.7M $149.8M +160.1%
Adult Hardcover $386.2M $504.1M -23.4%
Religious Books $252.5M $227.8M +10.8%
Children's/YA Hardcover $198.1M $211.4M -6.3%
Adult Mass Market $185.1M $264.8M -30.1%
Children's/YA Paperback $163.5M $192.5M -15.1%
Downloaded Audiobooks $36.5M $31.2M +17.0%

In short, ebooks/digital going up, print going down.

Scholastic--the childrens' book company--also released their 2011 fiscal year results and 2012 forecast:

Quote:
In addition to reporting 2011 results, the company also released its 2012 forecast. Scholastic CEO Richard Robinson said that initiatives like READ 180 and an expansion of the school customer base were expected to “drive strong growth in the higher margin education segment,” and that the company would also move forward with e-book and e-commerce strategies, including the “expanded roll-out” of a children’s e-reading app and e-bookstore.

With now Dark Horse going digital too, do you think print books are headed for extinction? How do you think we'll read in the future?

Communications Coordinator at EUCantina.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:05 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

My understanding of ebook readers is still tenuous at best, but isn't there still a slight problem with cross-format ebooks? As in, one ebook you buy at one digital store for one ebook reader may not be readable on another ebook reader. If that's still the case, then I think there'll still be a prevalence of physical books over ebooks. But when that problem is fixed I think the market would take off enough to threaten the production of physical books.

One thing that did interest me, though, was the increase in audio book sales.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it (or even read all of it). These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Creative Works

Page 1 of 1