Savage Oppress
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Characters of the Expanded Universe View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:02 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

Reepicheep wrote:
Darth Maul coming back is really cheesey. Rolling Eyes

Agreed, though I think it's a possibility so we should probably start preparing for the worst now, so it's not too much of a shock if, or when, it does roll around.

God, this could easily be the stupidest G-level canon plot ever

There may be one or two other TCW episodes that are strong contenders for that honour. But I can't really name any, on account of repressing the memories.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it (or even read all of it). These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:19 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Location: A floating diamond which no-one really seems to acknowledge

I just want to see Maul kicking and flipping kung-fu style, swinging his double-bladed lightsaber again. If that doesn't happen, I won't be too happy.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:23 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Life Is The Path wrote:
Reepicheep wrote:
Darth Maul coming back is really cheesey. Rolling Eyes

Agreed, though I think it's a possibility so we should probably start preparing for the worst now, so it's not too much of a shock if, or when, it does roll around.

God, this could easily be the stupidest G-level canon plot ever

There may be one or two other TCW episodes that are strong contenders for that honour. But I can't really name any, on account of repressing the memories.

Downfall of a Droid and Ghosts of Mortis!

It seems weird that they're bringing Maul back. I mean it's pretty obvious the whole point of Savage Oppress is to have a Maul 2.0, but if they were just going to bring Maul back why make Oppress? Confused

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:42 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I thought the Mortis trilogy was solid, the worst were this past season's Mando episodes. I liked last season's Mando trilogy, but these episodes were terrible.

I think that there will be more to the Maul story than meets the eye.

"WHERE'S THE FIRE?! I've always loved that expression, which is curious since my lab assistant was killed in a fire."
- Walter Bishop

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:18 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Location: A floating diamond which no-one really seems to acknowledge

Agreed.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:54 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I doubt they would make a whole new Maul book at this time just to retcon his altered backstory. But working in his resurrection, that would warrant a new book.

Here's hoping for a clone, possibly a clone that survives long enough to be killed by Vader. Old Ani and Maul fighting, heh.

Though, admittedly, as the Lucas-basher I am, I can't really remain optimistic that GL would go that route, rather than doing it in some contrived magical way that completely undermines Ani's search for the Stop Dying spell.

But if he does, I imagine Palp having Dooku include a little Maul in the clone order Sifo took to the Kaminoans.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:01 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

DarthMRN wrote:
But if he does, I imagine Palp having Dooku include a little Maul in the clone order Sifo took to the Kaminoans.

And nonbody would wonder what a Zabrak was doing between all the other clones?
No, I think it'll be the undermining of Anakins' search.

"You're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."

http://www.reedius.deviantart.com/

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:01 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I don't think there's all that much to change. I'm reading Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter now and all it's said on him being from Iridonia is that he knew it as a fact, much like 'knowing that the atoms composing his body had originally been born in the primordial galactic furnaces that had forged the stars.' Earlier in the paragraph he states 'it was impossible to conceive of a time when he had not been in thrall to Darth Sidious', so I can easily imagine it was Sidious who had told him about him being from Iridonia, and not Dathomir.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it (or even read all of it). These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:20 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Lord Ree'dius wrote:
And nonbody would wonder what a Zabrak was doing between all the other clones?
That is only a problem if you follow the GL trend of minimizing the scope of the GFFA. A whole planet, whose species are known for cloning, and they can't arrange for one clone in its own facility, or even just a separate wing, attended solely by droids if need be?

Heck, even mixing a Zabrak in with the Jangos shouldn't be a problem if these people regularly clone beings anyway. I see nothing in the way of working on more than one order in the same facility.

Now, if there was a whole host of them ala Starkiller, then having them on a Republic world vital to the war effort and under the kind of scrutiny we must expect from military facility number one in the galaxy, would be a bit harder to swallow. But a single clone secreted away isn't a problem.

Just one clone of course leading to its own problems...

Life is the Path wrote:

I don't think there's all that much to change. I'm reading Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter now and all it's said on him being from Iridonia is that he knew it as a fact, much like 'knowing that the atoms composing his body had originally been born in the primordial galactic furnaces that had forged the stars.' Earlier in the paragraph he states 'it was impossible to conceive of a time when he had not been in thrall to Darth Sidious', so I can easily imagine it was Sidious who had told him about him being from Iridonia, and not Dathomir.

...and then Sids fed his own Holocron avatar false info about it.

Not to mention the age stuff. Maul was supposed to have been taken when he was very young, so young that any relation to Dathomir would be trivial, which apparently it no longer isn't, since the episodes imply Savage is a cut from the same cloth. The absolutely necessary discrepancies are rather small, but if the GL vision that was implied in the show is to be upheld, that could well rip Maul's early life as we knew it from the EU to shreds.

But anyway, yeah, that there were few problems was kinda my point. For then they wouldn't warrant their own book, suggesting the resurrection is genuine. Which worries me a bit, actually: For if the book is to be a biography, it would be strange to record the lives of two separate individuals as one, just because they were clones. Suggesting the resurrected Maul is actually the original. And that can't end well.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:48 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I don't see how the idea of Darth Maul being taken as a child is incompatible with the TV show considering Savage Opress didn't even know he existed. Ray Park was in his early twenties when The Phantom Menace was filmed, so if Maul is the same age as his actor, then he would be about thirty-three at the time of the Clone Wars. How old is Savage Opress? And we might find out how Maul survived in September.

Darth Maul's backstory isn't particularly important to me anyhow.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:57 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

The problem is one of a warrior enclave of tattooed Zabraks, who can offer Dooku a viable replacement for Maul. If Maul was taken as an infant and turned into what he was by grueling Sith training, the only thing that enclave could possibly supply is similar genetic material coupled with some basic warrior training. And very late in life at that.

That can be interpreted away in a multitude of ways, but it seems to me the GL implication is one where Maul was born, raised, trained and tattooed on Dathomir before at some point being sent to Sids as part of some evil student exchange program between Talzin and the Sith Lords.

And if that is indeed the "vision" of GL for Maul, it is reasonable to fear the EU will follow suit, and the minimal disrepancies will become far greater.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:06 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

If that were the case, Savage Opress should know Maul, not to mention that Maul would have had minimal Sith training like Opress did. In which case Qui-Gon should have smoked him. So I agree it's dumb if true, but it remains to be seen. And I have no doubt we'll rant about it again if it turns true.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:34 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I can see why they added Mr. Opress. The Republic has many heros while the Seps have Dooku, Ventress, Grievious and Cad Bane. However I would like to have seen Durge instead of Opress in the clone wars.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:50 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Jedi Master Skid wrote:
I can see why they added Mr. Opress. The Republic has many heros while the Seps have Dooku, Ventress, Grievious and Cad Bane. However I would like to have seen Durge instead of Opress in the clone wars.

Do the Separatists really have Cad Bane, though? I've always thought of him as a gun for hire. True, the Separatists hire him a lot more, but that doesn't rule out the possibility of the Republic renting him.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:56 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Life Is The Path wrote:
Jedi Master Skid wrote:

Do the Separatists really have Cad Bane, though? I've always thought of him as a gun for hire. True, the Separatists hire him a lot more, but that doesn't rule out the possibility of the Republic renting him.

While that did come to my mind bounty hunters aren't technically good or bad but he has been portrayed through out the series as a bad guy. Look at Boba Fett in ESB and ROTJ and maybe slightly in AOTC he is portrayed as a bad guy. Even in battlefront 2 heroes vs villains he ain't on the heroes side. its just the way he has been portrayed.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Characters of the Expanded Universe

Page 3 of 4