Emperor Palpatine aka Darth Sidious
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Characters of the Expanded Universe View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:54 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Don't ask me which book it's in, but it's stated somewhere that human population is the dominant one in the galaxy.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:53 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Crash Override wrote:
I think he just hates everyone. He's like the drill instructor in Full Metal Jacket. He doesn't discriminate because he hates everyone equally.

I don't think Palpatine hates. He's too cold for that. He wants power above all else. In my opinion, he views everyone as expedient including the Sith. People are objects, pieces on a chess board.

Crash Override wrote:
I thought an earlier book or story established that Palpatine wasn't speciesist at all, but the galactic core mentality that were the most ardent supporters of an Empire were, so he just went with it to cater toward them.

Even if Palpatine is pro-alien, he doesn't seem to mind catering to anti-alien supporters or enslaving aliens. If he's truly believes aliens are equal to humans, then why is he actively supporting people that want aliens to suffer?

That said, I don't think Palpatine truly cared what species Thrawn was. He could be a humanoid, a Wookiee, a Muun, a Squib, etc. What he wanted was that tactical genius in his arsenal to make sure that no one could conquer his military, making sure Palpatine remained Emperor of the galaxy forever.

Regarding Alderaan, it's another strategic move. Princess Leia is a leader the Rebellion from the planet Alderaan. By blowing up her planet, the Rebellion loses Alderaan's resources (people, miltary, supplies, information, etc.) and the Rebel leader might lose herself in her grief and make the wrong tactical decisions. Not to mention, the whole galaxy can see what happens to Rebels...

Back to the speciesism, this is the closest I could find at Wookieepedia.

When I open Darth Plageuis (who really sounds like the GFFA's He Who Must Not be Named by the way), I want to know what made Palpatine so cold. Was Palpatine corrupted in the same way he corrupted Mara Jade and Anakin Skywalker in later years? Did witnessing his Master's manipulation of life and quest for immorality warp him somehow?

Communications Coordinator at EUCantina.

Last edited by Dancelittleewok on Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:36 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Cerrinea wrote:
And I'm not sure I could take an entire book told from Palps's POV. Maybe something where his POV is juxtaposed against an opposite POV.

True, but I'd still like to see some of his inner thoughts to the destruction of the Death Star or even the destruction of Alderaan. Did he know about it ahead of time or did Tarkin's actions catch him off guard? How was he handling the Rebel's victories and what actions did he personally order in response?

In most things I've read during that era, he's always been well scenery rather then a main part of the story. I think they could get some good stories with him dealing with political intrigue in the Empire and the like.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:38 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Dancelittleewok wrote:
Crash Override wrote:
I think he just hates everyone. He's like the drill instructor in Full Metal Jacket. He doesn't discriminate because he hates everyone equally.

I don't think Palpatine hates. He's too cold for that. He wants power above all else. In my opinion, he views everyone as expedient including the Sith. People are objects, pieces on a chess board.

Palpatine had to hate in order to be a Sith. If anyone is 'cold' it's the Jedi.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:12 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Reep, there's all kinds of examples of "cold" hatred. It's far worse than say killing someone in the heat of passion. Even the law recognizes that.

Btw, you ever read Dante's Inferno?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:23 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I wouldn't say Palpatine has hate, he just views everone as a tool to be used. Including the Force.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Characters of the Expanded Universe

Page 2 of 2