Fantasy Flight Games acquires RPG, TCG, CMG license

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Collecting View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fantasy Flight Games acquires RPG, TCG, CMG license
 PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:26 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

As read on TheForce.Net:

Quote:
Early last year, it was announced that Wizards of the Coast had decided not to renew their Star Wars license, thus putting the future of Star Wars card games, role playing games, and miniature games in limbo. Today, Fantasy Flight Games has announced a new partnership with LFL to bring you the next generation of games.

http://www.theforce.net/latestnews/story/Fantasy_Flight_Games_Joins_Forces_With_LFL_139880.asp

Anyone else read this? My curiosity is peaked. For a while there I was afraid there would be no company taking over the production of these games.
Their first two games will be a Miniature Game called X-Wing and a new Card Game.
As a fan of the SW miniatures and always being interested in RPG Source book material I'm keeping my eyes out for upcoming news from these guys.
Of course I'm hoping for a new character based CMG and hoping for some kind of compatibility with the old one from WOTC.

"You're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."

http://www.reedius.deviantart.com/

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:30 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

PS. I do hope I posted this in the right topic. If not feel free to move it to the appropriate one.

"You're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:28 pm Reply with quote  

I saw this news, but for me, it really wasn't that big of a deal. I've never played any of the card games or miniatures stuff. They do come up with some nice artwork sometimes, but that's the most I've ever gotten out of it.

Unless they start pumping out RPG sourcebooks. Now those I find useful.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:35 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

Too, I don't play the games, but I found it very interesting. I remember talking briefly with Crash a while back about these games, and the discussion revolved around whether or not the license would ever be picked up. Glad to see it finally was!
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:53 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

WOTC primarily held the license so that other companies couldn't get it, and half-heartedly put out product. I don't think this company has deep pockets like WOTC does, so presumably we'll be seeing a lot more SW product of this type than we did for the past ten years, along the lines of West End Games releases.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:38 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Crash Override wrote:
WOTC primarily held the license so that other companies couldn't get it, and half-heartedly put out product. I don't think this company has deep pockets like WOTC does, so presumably we'll be seeing a lot more SW product of this type than we did for the past ten years, along the lines of West End Games releases.

Even though this is true, the stuff WOTC did put out was very good IMO.
I am/was crazy about the miniatures both as a game and as collectibles and found Wizards' RPG sourcebooks to be a excellent read although I'm not a real RPG player.
I'm hoping to see lots of these goodies from Fantasy Flight and am curious as to if and how the RPG and Miniatures will take shape with this company.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:58 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I'm not trashing what WOTC actually published, but the volume of what they published wasn't close to what West End Games put out when it held the license. The WOTC card game seemed pretty bad though compared to the Decipher card game.

And the stuff published just before WOTC dropped the license was poorly written and edited. The Jedi Academy Training Manual... ugh.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:58 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Crash Override wrote:
I'm not trashing what WOTC actually published, but the volume of what they published wasn't close to what West End Games put out when it held the license. The WOTC card game seemed pretty bad though compared to the Decipher card game.

And the stuff published just before WOTC dropped the license was poorly written and edited. The Jedi Academy Training Manual... ugh.

I honestly don't know about any of the card games. I was never in to those so I really can't say anything about them.
As for the volumes of published material I think that's also in part due to their being less RPG players (or interest in new material) and to the fact that the SW Universe has been almost completely completely explored in the various sourcebooks and the likes. If not by WotC than by WEG. There just came a time where WotC had just about covered the entire SW universe and I'm glad they didn't milk it dry by keeping tons of uninspired or badly written stuff coming.
And there was a lot more stuff in the in most WEG material that made me raise my eyebrows than there was in the any of the WotC books. The Jedi Academy Training Manual wasn't WotC's best, but it wasn't terrible. Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Collecting

Page 1 of 1