Dark Times comic series
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dark Times comic series
 PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:47 am Reply with quote  

I've read some of the Dark Times comics and I thought they were pretty good. The artwork inside was top notch and the stories and characters were done well, even though it was a drama heavy series. The cover art for the new arc, however, is a very drastic change. They are done by Pablo Correa. Check them out...

I'm wondering if they plan on adding backgrounds or if they'll leave them white. To be honest, the white background would really make them stand out on display shelves.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

Last edited by Darth Skuldren on Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:48 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Drastic change indeed. I hope the actual art inside is still as great as ever.
That being said I can't wait for Dass Jennir and the Uhumele's crews' stories to continue. Smile

"You're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."

http://www.reedius.deviantart.com/

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:46 pm Reply with quote  

Inside art should stay the same, it's still Doug Wheatley. Cover artist was the only thing that changed. The third cover is the only one I don't like. The other ones are kind of neat.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

Issue 1
 PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:13 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Just finished issue one. The one thing I've liked about this series is how ruthless Vader is and makes me forget some of the poorer stories (such as Lost Command). Anyway, I'll be looking forward to issue two, and more Vader, even though the series isn't focused on him.

"Then you saved my life. How disgusting. How unfortunate."
"No, don't gush on so. It was nothing, really."

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

Republic #101
 PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:36 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

I was just looking through the credits of Dark Times: Out of the Wilderness #1 and noticed that it's also considered the 101st issue of Star Wars Republic. Now I've got to look back at other past issues and see if they say the same thing.

"Then you saved my life. How disgusting. How unfortunate."
"No, don't gush on so. It was nothing, really."

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:16 am Reply with quote  

That's interesting. I guess Dark Times did evolve from that series.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:05 am Reply with quote  

Final cover and synopsis has been revealed:
Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:28 pm Reply with quote  

Dark Times: Fire Carrier #1 is out today.

This issue has a new art team (artist and colorist). The art is...okay. It's nowhere near as good as the artwork in the first volume of the series, but it's not bad. The story is also a little...well, not a whole lot happens. Kind of a slow start. Still, there is one surprise appearance.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:08 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Issue #2 also a little bit slow. I'm not sure if the Vader training an assasin..... Who looks like a weak/whimpy dude... Is working very well on me. As a "this is what Vader is busy with" story it kind of leaves me wanting more. Pretty dark ending, I kind of figured that was the result of what leaving for the "grasslands" was. I like the order 66 ambush quick conversation they had, keeps the betrayal of it all fresh in the air, a key tone to the Dark Times story line.

"Sure I can't move a rock with my mind, but, boy can I make that rock think its been moved."

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:31 am Reply with quote  

Randy Stradley mentioned in the April episode of Jedi Journals that Doug Wheatley is currently almost done with issue #2 of the next arc, A Spark Remains. Randy said Doug is on schedule to get one issue done each month.

Update: Newsarama has a great first look at the next arc including an interview with Randy Stradley and artwork by Doug Wheatley.

Link: http://bit.ly/14JBIy6

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 11:40 am Reply with quote  

Info recap...

A Spark Remains #1

Dark Times: A Spark Remains #1 (of 5)

Release Date: July 17
Details: FC, 32 pages, $3.50, miniseries

Writer: Randy Stradley
Artist: Douglas Wheatley
Colorist: Dan Jackson
Cover Artist: Benjamin Carré

Reunited with the ragtag crew of the Uhumele, Jedi Dass Jennir is surprised to find them plotting with another Jedi to take down the iron fist of the new Galactic Empire—Darth Vader himself! Having only just found love and a reason to live, Jennir is reluctant to join—but their plan may be too good to pass up . . .

• Artist Doug Wheatley returns!

A Spark Remains #2

Dark Times: A Spark Remains #2 (of 5)

Publication Date: August 21, 2013
Format: FC, 32 pages; Miniseries
Price: $3.50

The crew of the Uhumele have a plan to strike at the heart of the newly formed Galactic Empire—Darth Vader himself! While they seek a certain Jedi to join their cause, secrets among the crew begin to form cracks in their alliance. Could their plan be over before it’s begun? Elsewhere, Vader trains an assassin for Jedi hunting!

Last edited by Darth Skuldren on Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 9:44 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Color me intrigued...
www.FanboysTalking.com

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:52 pm Reply with quote  

Info on the TPB release for A Spark Remains.

Dark Times: A Spark Remains TPB

Release Date: April 23, 2014
Details: FC, 120 pages, $19.99, TP, 7″ x 10″
Together with their old friend Dass Jennir and a new Jedi acquaintance, the crew of the Uhumele is plotting to take down the Galactic Emperor’s second in command, Darth Vader! For this foolproof plan, they’ll be offering something the Dark Lord won’t be able to resist: Jedi. Collects Star Wars: Dark Times—A Spark Remains #1–#5.
• Artist Doug Wheatley returns to Star Wars: Dark Times!
• A trap is set for Darth Vader!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:45 am Reply with quote  

A Spark Remains #5 is out today, thus wrapping up the series. Here are my spoiler thoughts...

Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:47 am Reply with quote  

Oh, and here's the new solicitation info on the next Dark Times Omnibus.

Star Wars Omnibus: Dark Times Volume 2 TPB

Release Date: May 7, 2014
Details: FC, 456 pages, $24.99, TPB, 6” x 9”

Pencillers: Douglas Wheatley and Gabriel Guzman
Inker: Gabriel Guzman
Colorists: Chris Chuckry, Garry Henderson, Dan Jackson and Dave McCaig
Cover Artist: Douglas Wheatley

Jedi Dass Jennir takes a job that attracts the attention of Lord Vader himself! Meanwhile, Jedi Master K’Kruhk tries to shield a group of Padawans from the Empire’s hunt for Jedi. Culminating in a confrontation between the Jedi and Darth Vader, the galaxy’s dark times continue . . . Collects Dark Times Volume 4—Blue Harvest, Dark Times Volume 5—Out of the Wilderness, Dark Times Volume 6—Fire Carrier, and Dark Times Volume 7—A Spark Remains.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 1 of 2