A Petition to bring back Michael A. Stackpole
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  
A Petition to bring back Michael A. Stackpole
 PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:56 pm Reply with quote  

So I was on Twitter today and conversation turned toward Michael A. Stackpole and Star Wars. For fun I tweeted at DelReySpectra to bring back Stackpole. In response, they said "What? I couldn't hear you..."

So I threw down my gauntlet and accepted the challenge...by creating a petition. As always I did my homework and selected a reputable online petition site. And unlike recent Star Wars petitions, this one is completely positive.

Feel free to sign it if you'd like to see Michael A. Stackpole brought back to the Star Wars EU. Who knows, maybe we'll actually see that X-Wing novel to go along with Allston's Wraith book.

Petition to Bring Back Michael A. Stackpole

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:03 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Cool, it would be nice to see him write something again.

Last edited by Teck on Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:33 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:12 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Heck, I haven't even read his books, but I'll sign.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

Re: A Petition to bring back Michael A. Stackpole
 PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:37 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Darth Skuldren wrote:
So I was on Twitter today and conversation turned toward Michael A. Stackpole and Star Wars. For fun I tweeted at DelReySpectra to bring back Stackpole. In response, they said "What? I couldn't hear you..."

So I threw down my gauntlet and accepted the challenge...by creating a petition. As always I did my homework and selected a reputable online petition site. And unlike recent Star Wars petitions, this one is completely positive.

Feel free to sign it if you'd like to see Michael A. Stackpole brought back to the Star Wars EU. Who knows, maybe we'll actually see that X-Wing novel to go along with Allston's Wraith book.

Petition to Bring Back Michael A. Stackpole

I'll sign it! And for the record- the other one wasn't quite negative so much as it was received negatively by groups of Fandom.

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-To become a Jedi, it is not the Force one must learn to control but oneself.
-
-Podcasts: Star Wars Beyond the Films, The Star Wars Report, & EUCast

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:03 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I don't get it. If this petition goes to the license holders rather than the author, that must mean they were responsible for him leaving in the first place (which I was not aware of). And if so, they presumaby had good reason for doing so.

And if so, why would they respond to a petition? Would take some petition to unfire someone who was fired, methinks. Are you certain you interpreted the response correctly?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:07 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

He wasn't "fired," he just hasn't been contracted another book since 2000. Which is really lame. I'm not sure if there were underlying issues preventing Stackpole from writing another novel - he's stated numerous times that he was against killing Anakin in the NJO, but other authors (Zahn) have also made negative statements about similar actions. Considering how highly praised the Rogue books and comics are, I don't see why they wouldn't have Stackpole return, and lately Stackpole has said that he would be more than willing to write another Star Wars book. I would LOVE to see him flesh out the backstory of the Fel family, or write about the Horn children.

It seems that the ball is in Del Rey's court, so to speak.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:45 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

DarthMRN wrote:
I don't get it. If this petition goes to the license holders rather than the author, that must mean they were responsible for him leaving in the first place (which I was not aware of). And if so, they presumaby had good reason for doing so.

And if so, why would they respond to a petition? Would take some petition to unfire someone who was fired, methinks. Are you certain you interpreted the response correctly?

How hard is it to interpret, "What? I couldn't hear you..."

The tweets went just exactly as Skuldren described. I saw them

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:24 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

I loved his books as much as anyone, so I've signed! Smile

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:20 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

As far as I'm aware, things ended amicably between the two parties, so there should be no animosity to stop such a thing. Signed!
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it (or even read all of it). These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:08 pm Reply with quote  

Just finished my reread of Rogue Squadron. Really reminded me of why I liked Stackpole even way back then. I'd forgot all about how fun it was to see Corax and Mirax toying with each other, to be flying through combat in vicious dogfights, and to enjoy a nice long break from the Big 3. I think I might have to reread the whole series now.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:46 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

I got the sense that there were some editorial issues. Dark Tide was supposed to be a trilogy...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:57 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

darthgratian wrote:
I got the sense that there were some editorial issues. Dark Tide was supposed to be a trilogy...

I thought the same thing, that there was a falling out of some sort due to the trilogy being clipped to a duology.

Allegedly the stuff he would have covered was put into Luceno's duology, but I imagine we lost a lot of Corran stuff as a result.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:39 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

This author has my utmost respect. He did all he could not to get Anakin Solo killed off by making his character so strong in Onslaught and Ruin. I wouldn't mind reading something by Stackpole again

"Then you saved my life. How disgusting. How unfortunate."
"No, don't gush on so. It was nothing, really."

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:51 am Reply with quote  

I really like the non-Star Wars books he's been writing lately. At The Queen's Command is better than anything Stover has written, IMHO. I'm thinking about going on a buying frenzy and reading some more.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:25 am Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

I've done my little one-man lobby to get Stackpole back for ages. At Dragon*Con over the weekend, it was clear he was still as popular with fans as ever. He along with Aaron Allston and Tim Zahn drew the biggest crowds at EU panels.

So, yes. Signed.

"You know, on some worlds, it's a felony to wear an ewok as a swimsuit."

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 1 of 3