Video Games Of The Future: What are YOUR video game ideas?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Gaming View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:43 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Hey!...nice...I never thought of Corran Horn, and hes a decent character to play=D
A game around him would be fun....

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:12 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I think a bounty hunter game would be sweet.

I know there was that one jango fett game, but I am talking about a game where you could customize your character completely, and its a free roaming game, etc.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:38 am Reply with quote  

I'm with you there. A massive free roaming bounty hunter game would be sweet. Preferably I'd want something that wasn't a massively multiplayer online game, but rather a one or two player game with the bonus option of link or online team games. Fully customizable bounty hunters with free range agendas would be cool. To just be able to roam around the planets of the Star Wars galaxy and interact with its inhabitants is one of the fun factors KOTOR had going for it.

Personally I'd have it were you started out differently depending on the difficulty setting. Easy would set you off as an already established bounty hunter with a ship, credits, and a reputation. Whereas the hard setting would make you start from scratch with no ship, no credits, and no rep. It would be up to you to earn the money you need to buy a ship, and eventually a better one, and slowly build up your reputation so you could get offered better jobs. There would be all sorts of equipment and you could also opt to work alone or with a team of people you could recruit.

Some of the big bounties could sprawl into intricate multi-stage, expansive story missions which would form the heart of the game.

Though I'm not sure what the ultimate goal would be. I guess to be named the best bounty hunter in the galaxy or something. It's always kind of nice to have a story, but with this kind of game it isn't as important. The real fun comes in exploration and side missions/games.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:04 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Mainly a bounty hunter game would be better then TOR because the combat would be more thought out and better. Since TOR is an MMO the combat always has to be toned down somewhat for balance and everything, but in a single player game this doesnt have to be the case.

Also, like you said DS, exploring and planet hopping would be a major part. In fact, that is one of the things that draws me to Star Wars, all the planets and different civilizations and stuff. This game would definetly need that RPG exploring element to it. If it was just action, it would be more like The Force Unleashed, and I really didnt like how linear that game was.

Quote:
Some of the big bounties could sprawl into intricate multi-stage, expansive story missions which would form the heart of the game.

And you could maybe even form up small parties online and tackle certain missions together..... I should stop, we both know this game is never going to happen, lol

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:44 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

An entirely EU BattleFront. Oh my gosh, I would just die of excitment.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:08 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I love everyones ideas about a bounty hunter game - I would really like to see ship purchase/customization section of the game. I would love to be able to make my own YT-1300, custom paint center cockpit etc.

Another idea would be as a royal guard - like Kir Kanos.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:15 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Yeah I'd like something that is a good combo- get some Kotor style fight play- Bounty Hunter style bounties. Tie-Xwing style Vong starfighter fights. With BF2 co op.

But yes! Customizable SHIPS!!!!!!!!! That's by far the coolest Idea since a vong Rogue Squadron game.

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-To become a Jedi, it is not the Force one must learn to control but oneself.
-
-Podcasts: Star Wars Beyond the Films, The Star Wars Report, & EUCast

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 9:02 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Something like Battlefront 1 and 2 but with some KOTOR elements.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 9:42 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I'd like a Darth Bane game.

"WHERE'S THE FIRE?! I've always loved that expression, which is curious since my lab assistant was killed in a fire."
- Walter Bishop

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 2:44 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

You know, I'd quite like that - although I'd be quite sad at the lack of lightsabre duels past a certain point. And it was written well, like a game. As if it was written by a game developer...
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 6:31 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Life Is The Path wrote:
As if it was written by a game developer...

Laughing

"You're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."

http://www.reedius.deviantart.com/

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 8:18 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

My favourite Star Wars game of all time was Star Wars: TIE Fighter, and I would love to see something new like that.

But since TIE Fighter came out, the EU has expanded thousands of years.

The game would need to cover as many eras and organizations as possible, but still be broad enough in each era (my one problem with the first Battlefront was how while you did get to play as all organizations, you only got 3-4 missions for each.)

My first thought would be that the game might work like Starcraft II, where you buy the game's initial campaign, and then tell additional stories through expansion packs (which may be almost as expensive as the initial game). Alternatively, you could add campaign packs one at a time via DLC, but they'd be a tad smaller.

The first campaign would be at the very dawn of the New Republic Era. Fighting for the NR, you would participate in a variety of campaigns across the years, perhaps sometimes participating in some of the great EU battles (ideally some we've never seen truly developed, like the Clone Emperor's attack on Coruscant between The Last Command and Dark Empire #1, or some of the campaigns against the Yevetha).

The next campaign would be for the Empire, probably in the post-ROTS timeline. You would participate in missions to protect Imperial worlds, expand Imperial interests, fight pirates and old remnants of the CIS (I imagine that even all the Separatist leaders were killed on Mustafar, there may well be a bunch of Captains or Generals or Admirals that fancy themselves Warlords). You could start with late-Clone Wars fighters, like the ARC-170, V-Wing and Eta-2, but then slowly transition to TIE Fighter-style ships.

You might also have campaigns set in the Clone Wars (Republic and CIS), New Jedi Order Era (fighting for the Jedi against the Yuuzhan Vong, perhaps even flying Coralskippers against the NR), maybe even some set in the Old Republic era (tied into KOTOR or TOR; like a campaign where you fight for Revan, first as the Republic against the Mandos, flying Aureks and Chelas, then as the Sith Empire, flying Sith Interceptors).
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
-Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:07 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Content-wise, I've long dreamed of a Great Sith War game, where you get to play as Ulic and Exar, seeing as the comics clearly skipped a whole lot of the goings-on of that conflict. Something that wasn't necessarily graphically heavy, but maintained the TotJ look and was really large and free-form, where you basically control Ulic or Exar at the head of Massassi and Mando armies fighting Republic armies. These characters are good enough to face down entire squads on their own, so a large-scale battle game would be swell.

Still, my biggest dream as far as SW games go, is to at long last be rid of that god-awful HP style gameplay. I know, HP is the industry standard for survivability measurement, with supposedly human characters absorbing everything from swords to shotgun blasts over and over no worse for wear. But SW really illustrates the stupidity of that better than most, when you get to see lightsabers penetrate your avatar and enemies over and over before death occurs. In stead, I would love to see a Force Point/Luck/Destiny measure, where the avatar successfully dodges, blocks or is simply missed by incoming attacks, whether ranged or melee, until the pool runs out, upon which they are hit normally and die. Y'know, like in books and movies. The principle is the same as with HP, only it would look like authentic SW.

Indeed, my biggest gripe about TOR by far, is how the combat animations are more out of sync than even the KotOR games, and reduced to the loathsome "I bisect you with my lightsaber twenty times before you die"-kriff in practice. Just as I feared it would, and which makes that game unworthy of its predecessors IMO.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:14 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

That's so very weird. I was having this conversation just the other day, with a programmer friend of mine. We were talking about Tor and, while I disagree with your idea that the fighting style is unworthy of its predecessors, I do think the style hasn't changed much, hasn't moved into the modern age of gaming. And my friend was lamenting this very fact, saying how much they could do to make it so incredible. To be honest, he was saying a lot of computer programmer stuff that I didn't really understand - I'm not all that interested in computers - but the gist was that you can have a more intuitive control over the actions of your character - through the use of hot keys, button smashing and thumbstick control, as is seen in games like Batman: Arkham Asylum, Assassin's Creed and...well, Star Wars: Obi Wan. And with a touch of aesthetic design - making the combos look free flow and have a lot of twirling about - it would look very Star Wars-y.

This sort of style, he admitted, would be difficult to perfect, and take a while, but it is very doable. Our talk was getting the Star Wars geek in me so very excited - especially when he noted two things: The first was that it could be done on (current) console grade engines and also, he felt, adaptable to be used with Kinect. Which annoyed me to no end, because from what I've heard of Star Wars Kinect is that it uses a very basic set of attacks - left, right, up, down and I think diagonal - which isn't even as good as two Wii games: Wii Sports Resort and Red Faction 2.

As to the HP system, he was a lot less enthusiastic. There's been a lot of work in games already about trying to overcome that, but from what I gathered it's still needed for the computer, to calculate what would kill the enemy (or the player). It's also necessary because some people in the games industry feel, perhaps correctly, that that system helps players determine what action is needed, whereas possible changes along what we, and you, were discussing, may blind the player too much. Which is not good business sense, yo.

Instead, what he proposed - based on what's already been done in games - is have a system of hot spots around the body - as was seen in the playstation game Delta Force - where a shot, or strike from a melee weapon, would seriously wound and/or kill immediately. We already have this in the form of headshots, but he was talking about expanding that to include body parts where a wound would hinder performance. Like getting a slash on your arm (only a flesh wound, not having the arm severed, as that, too, would be unrealistic) would slow down attacks and make them less effective. It would also mean you'd be able to end a lightsabre duel in a second, just by taking them by surprise and chopping their head off, as seen in Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy.

One other thing he was becoming quite enthused about is a movement system. That's not something you brought up, MRN, but it was quite note-worthy, so I thought I'd mention it. Using a system of hot spots - or areas of activity - in the environment would mean that players could walk or run or climb more realistically, even going so far as to have the player-character stumble slightly on some debris. If I remember correctly, he noted Ubisoft and their Assassin's Creed series as an example of this, and having it as a base point of how it could be improved upon.

The one thing that struck me as surprising - amid short but intense periods of geeking out - was that a lot of what he was talking about had already been done in games. It just needs one company - preferably LucasArts - to take all these ideas and put them together in one game.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:52 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location wounding affecting gameplay has been in games for quite a while, I think either Soldier of Fortune (2000) and Rainbow Six: Rogue Spear (1999) were some of the earliest games with that. Oh, and my favorite game, Deus Ex (2000). Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy, if dismemberment is turned on, can have you sever specific body parts, albeit maiming an enemy kills him or her.

As for HP systems, a lot of games don't have numeric hit points listed in the user interface any longer. I'm not sure what's the desired solution in lieu of a game using that is, even if it's invisible to the player, as there needs to be some way of monitoring health, but there are games that don't use it at all and deaths are entirely context based or there aren't deaths in certain games at all.

For the most part more recent games eschew realistic health systems in lieu of balanced health systems, exchanging realism in favor of playability and accessibility. The standard "health kit" restoring health has also been phased out almost completely from games in favor of a regenerating health model in which a player not taking damage for a set amount of time is healed of damage.

The combat in SWTOR is what is to expected from a MMORPG. I don't think there are any MMORPGs that use twitch combat. Planetside does but its whole purpose is to be a MMOFPS so it was designed from the ground up to be based upon twitch combat rather than the more immersive and social aspects of the MMOG. You can criticize it for being uninvolving, but you won't find a MMORPG with combat similar to singleplayer games.

Page 2 of 3