Jedi vs Sith: Who Wins?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Aush's EU Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jedi vs Sith: Who Wins?
 PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:21 pm Reply with quote  

Jedi and Sith fight each other all the time. So how do the odds really work out? What's the score between the two sides, and whose rally winning?

First I must admit, I was really bored and inspired by DeathStarPR's article which mention ridiculous odds of a Sith surviving a fight with a Jedi.

So, Jedi vs Sith: Round 1 - Movie Edition

To tally the score I looked at personal combat and victories rather than deaths. ANH, Vader kills Obi-Wan, so Sith get 1 point. ESB, Vader and Luke fight but it's inconclusive, no points. ROTJ Vader kills Palpatine, and is said to have been redeemed which can be assumed to mean he's a Jedi again, so 1 point Jedi. I'm really tempted to give Palpatine a point for kicking Luke's butt but Vader did step in to stop the fight, so I think that one can be deemed inconclusive.

PM scores 1 point for the Sith when Maul kills Qui-Gon, but Obi-Wan scores a point for the Jedi when he kills Maul. AOTC scores two points for the Sith cause Dooku beat Anakin and Obi-Wan, only to have Yoda take him out and whoop him off the planet, thus scoring a point for the Jedi. Unlike Luke vs Palpatine, Yoda did not cut the fight off, rather he stepped in after both Jedi were thoroughly whooped. ROTS finishes things off with Dooku beating Obi-Wan, Anakin beating Dooku, Sidious beating 4 Jedi and Yoda, and then Obi-Wan beating Vader. That's 6 Sith, 2 Jedi.

Total Score: Sith 10, Jedi 5

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:31 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Wow. I never thought about it that way. Confused

Maybe the Dark Side is stronger...

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:32 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Until you get to Luke who pwns everyone. Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:38 am Reply with quote  

As powerful as Luke is, he did get thoroughly beat up by the Emperor. Had to have his daddy save him Laughing

Luke: "Dad! Help me! Grandpa is beating me up!"
Vader: "Grandpa?"
Luke: "You didn't know? The Emperor...he's YOUR FATHER."
Vader: "NO. That can't be true!"
Palpatine: "Search your feelings, you KNOW it be true."

--Star Wars Return of the Jedi, the Definitive Collection Cool

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:07 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

On Wookieepedia there's a list of lightsaber duels in the movies and the EU, stating who won each one. It would be major spoilers for me, but anyone who has either read/watched/played them all or doesn't mind being spoiled should add them up. Cool

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:51 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

I'm just remembering the Robot Chicken Star Wars III, where Palpatine is shocking Luke, and everyone has a little voiceover.

Luke: Man! This really hurts! Maybe if I play dead he'll stop shocking me. Nope, I literally cannot stop screaming.

Vader: How come no one says "Wizard" anymore?

And when Palpatine is finally thrown down the shaft?

Vader: That was pretty Wizard, wasn't it, son?
Luke: Huh?
Vader: I'm bringing it back!
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
-Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:55 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

Laughing

The Dark Side will always lose in the end, no matter the actual lightsaber battle tally. Wink

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:34 pm Reply with quote  

Yeah, but who cares about the end. Think of what you have to go through to get to the end. For those who live under the reign of the Empire, I'm sure a lot of them thought that "this is the end, and evil has triumphed." And if you die while evil is winning, well there goes the end.

Actually, there really isn't an end. Empire rises up, persecutes people, gets taken down by Luke. Vong show up. persecute galaxy, gets taken down by Jedi. Sith show up again, persecute galaxy, etc, repeat. Star Wars history would show that good and evil are cyclical in nature, thus there is no end. The Foce seeks balance and thus everything continues.

Edit: I just found what you were talking about Reep. That's a long list Shocked
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Lightsaber_duel

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:52 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Darth Skuldren wrote:
Yeah, but who cares about the end. Think of what you have to go through to get to the end. For those who live under the reign of the Empire, I'm sure a lot of them thought that "this is the end, and evil has triumphed." And if you die while evil is winning, well there goes the end.

That was so profound I am now hopelessly depressed. Sad

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:57 am Reply with quote  

Fear not! There is always an end when you watch a movie Very Happy

Unless you watch it again. Resist the urge. Enjoy the credits.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:23 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

Darth Skuldren wrote:

Actually, there really isn't an end. Empire rises up, persecutes people, gets taken down by Luke. Vong show up. persecute galaxy, gets taken down by Jedi. Sith show up again, persecute galaxy, etc, repeat. Star Wars history would show that good and evil are cyclical in nature, thus there is no end. The Foce seeks balance and thus everything continues.

Edit: I just found what you were talking about Reep. That's a long list Shocked
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Lightsaber_duel

This post reminded me of two things: One, a quote from a book: 'Oh, Death was never enemy of ours! We laughed, knowing that better men would come, and greater wars: when each proud fighter brags he wars on Death, for lives, not men, for flags.'

And second, which is probably more pertinent, I was reminded of the War of Independence. The fledgling US lost many, many battles, during the war, yet they won the most crucial, which ended it. So it goes to show, it's not how many you win, or lose, but which ones you win, and lose.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

Life is like the Force - Luke Skywalker, Crucible. Damn straight I am.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Aush's EU Cantina

Page 1 of 1