Like Father, Like Son
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Aush's EU Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
Like Father, Like Son
 PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:43 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

So, I've just had an epiphany! The Skywalker line is cursed to whine! Which rhymes nicely, I might add. Anyway...! Anakin whines, Luke whines, Ben whines, and Cade whines! One must assume that everyone inbetween the last two also did their share of whining. So this begs the question...!

Is the Force whiny? Since we're going to assume Anakin was conceived by midichlorians (and not created by Plagueis, a plotline I very much dislike), one must assume Anakin's "Father", the Force, is as whiny as it's son, grandson, great-grandson, etc. And this leads to a profound thought:

No wonder the galaxy is always in turmoil! Just imagine: "Waaahhh! I'm out of balance!" *cue a war or two* "Waaahhh, I'm in balance! This is so boring!" *introduce more Sith to the galaxy* "..." *repeat*

So...thoughts? Very Happy

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

Re: Like Father, Like Son
 PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:33 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Mara Jade Skywalker wrote:
So, I've just had an epiphany! The Skywalker line is cursed to whine! Which rhymes nicely, I might add. Anyway...! Anakin whines, Luke whines, Ben whines, and Cade whines! One must assume that everyone inbetween the last two also did their share of whining. So this begs the question...!

Is the Force whiny? Since we're going to assume Anakin was conceived by midichlorians (and not created by Plagueis, a plotline I very much dislike), one must assume Anakin's "Father", the Force, is as whiny as it's son, grandson, great-grandson, etc. And this leads to a profound thought:

No wonder the galaxy is always in turmoil! Just imagine: "Waaahhh! I'm out of balance!" *cue a war or two* "Waaahhh, I'm in balance! This is so boring!" *introduce more Sith to the galaxy* "..." *repeat*

So...thoughts? Very Happy

LOL I'm going with Anakin was made by Sith manipulating MCs- thus he was both lol

But for me I see it as the fate of the Chosen One Bloodline. They will all be whinny for it's up to them and their descendents to right the Force.

But what level of "whinny" are we looking at? I mean Anakin and Luke moped a bit, but they could have been a LOT worse IMO.

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-To become a Jedi, it is not the Force one must learn to control but oneself.
-
-Podcasts: Star Wars Beyond the Films, The Star Wars Report, & EUCast

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:48 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

When people first complained about Anakin whining, my thought was "Have they HEARD his son?" Wink

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:02 am Reply with quote  

I like this theory. I shall add to it. In the beginning, there was the Force. But it was whiny. So powerful was the Force that it was able to split into two, the Ashla and the Bogan, light and dark, thus the dark side was able to separate itself from its whiny brother. Since then the two have been at war because, although now separate from its kin, the dark side can still hear the light side whining on and on. The balance in the Force is simply the dark side trying to shut the light side up. Laughing

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:06 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Laughing

It's funny how character whininess bothers me at different levels. Luke and Ben don't bother me at all. Anakin can sometimes make me roll my eyes. Cade makes me want to strangle him.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:54 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Skuldren, that's brilliant! Laughing

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:05 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Reepicheep wrote:
Laughing

It's funny how character whininess bothers me at different levels. Luke and Ben don't bother me at all. Anakin can sometimes make me roll my eyes. Cade makes me want to strangle him.

Cade's spot on if one has dealt with addictions. One of the main reasons I like his character- he's more real them most. He's flawed.

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-To become a Jedi, it is not the Force one must learn to control but oneself.
-
-Podcasts: Star Wars Beyond the Films, The Star Wars Report, & EUCast

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:12 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

Darth Skuldren wrote:
I like this theory. I shall add to it. In the beginning, there was the Force. But it was whiny. So powerful was the Force that it was able to split into two, the Ashla and the Bogan, light and dark, thus the dark side was able to separate itself from its whiny brother. Since then the two have been at war because, although now separate from its kin, the dark side can still hear the light side whining on and on. The balance in the Force is simply the dark side trying to shut the light side up. Laughing

.....I love these forums.

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:55 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

illogicalRogue2 wrote:
Reepicheep wrote:
Laughing

Cade's spot on if one has dealt with addictions. One of the main reasons I like his character- he's more real them most. He's flawed.

I really liked him to. He reminded me of people I know who dealt with things like that. As to the rest of the Skywalkers I only can't stand Anakin's whining. Luke's is at an acceptable level for his life and Ben's is actually kinda charming.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:03 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I liked Cade at the beginning, but after a while he just gets annoying. I think it's his apathy that does it for me. Characters like Anakin Skywalker, Prince Zuko or Sweeney Todd are compelling because they seriously want to do the right thing but become misguided. With Cade it seems like he doesn't really care. I've only read the first three paperbacks (Broken, Shards and Claws of the Dragon) and I haven't read them in a while but this is what my memory is telling me.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

Re: Like Father, Like Son
 PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:57 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

illogicalRogue2 wrote:

LOL I'm going with Anakin was made by Sith manipulating MCs- thus he was both lol

But for me I see it as the fate of the Chosen One Bloodline. They will all be whinny for it's up to them and their descendents to right the Force.

But what level of "whinny" are we looking at? I mean Anakin and Luke moped a bit, but they could have been a LOT worse IMO.

What's worse than whining about the Toche station, as if it's the most brilliant thing in the universe?!

Reeps, in a way, Cade didn't care - but I also got the impression that he didn't want to care. The Skywalkers, as he put it, had been screwed over by the galaxy time and again (maybe the galaxy got annoyed of their whininess, too), and so he separated himself from the galaxy. Telling himself that he didn't care. And, in essence, he stays as thus, until it becomes too hard for him not to.

But, still, even for me, his whining was a lot to take.

Nice thread, Mara! Laughing
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

Life is like the Force - Luke Skywalker, Crucible. Damn straight I am.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:12 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I'm not sure how a character not wanting to care is better then a character who simply doesn't care...

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:38 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

I don't know if it would be better - or not - it's merely how I perceived him. Though, if I thought about it, I guess I could say that a man who starts out good and, after upheaval, turns away from it all and tells himself that he doesn't care (and after a while making himself believe it), rather than having the character not care altogether would probably make more sense. Stay in character, and rationalise later acts.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

Life is like the Force - Luke Skywalker, Crucible. Damn straight I am.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:35 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

"Sorry about my last message. Dad assures me that whining is a family trait and that I should be over it by the time I'm thirty, but that's not much comfort, because if you're any example, it just turns into complaining."
-Ben Skywalker, in a message to Jaina Solo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:35 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Well there you have it! Razz

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Aush's EU Cantina

Page 1 of 2