The Debate Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Aush's EU Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:58 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

In rereading Njoe after LOTF, I found that Jacen's fall was foreshadowed (whether unintentionally or not), which made it plausible. I just think his fall was very badly done. But that's pretty much my entire opinion of LOTF -- badly done.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:28 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Cerrinea wrote:
In rereading Njoe after LOTF, I found that Jacen's fall was foreshadowed (whether unintentionally or not), which made it plausible. I just think his fall was very badly done. But that's pretty much my entire opinion of LOTF -- badly done.

I agree about that. It was foreshadowed in Dark Nest, but Dark Nest was a total non sequitur from NJO. I am given the impression that Troy Denning didn't bother reading The Unifying Force at all, or honestly any of the books set after Star by Star.

In which way did you think that it was foreshadowed in the NJO?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:37 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

Hey, guys! I've an idle wonder that I wanted to get your opinions on.

I'm currently reading Shatterpoint, and one thing I noticed is that Stover is really pushing the '1000 year old Republic' - though he doesn't go out and state that there wasn't a republic before that - he stays to the closely to the canon. But reading that phrase over and over again got me wondering.

I'd always assumed that the 'republic stood for a thousand years' comment in TPM was the accident; that George had really meant 'thousand generations', but I suddenly had the thought that, maybe, it was the other way round. Maybe he had meant to say 'thousand years' in the first instance. What do you reckon? Could it be plausible? Are there external sources and quotes to support it one way or another?
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:35 am Reply with quote  

Well the EU has the Galactic Republic set at around 25,000 years old, hence the 1000 generations line. But after the 1000 year line, they used the Ruusan Reformation to justify it so both could be true. But I'm not sure why they did both other than it simply being a mistake or George changing his mind again.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:47 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Darth Skuldren wrote:
...or George changing his mind again.

*snickers*

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:00 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I think they have it set up now that the Republic that stood before the Ruusan Reformations was legitimately different. Remember that, during the Dark Ages (2,000-1,000 BBY) the Republic more or less fell, except in the Core. The Republic that rose from the ashes after that conflict was entirely different from the one that preceded it. That lends credence to further mentions by Pre Viszla (in The Mandalore Plot) and Saesee Tiin (in Citadel Rescue).
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
-Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:46 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

It's also in the last Bane book. The idea of the Ruusan Reformations is introduced there at the end. Since there were sweeping reformations in the Republic system and the Jedi it makes sense to delineate the two "different" republics as pre and post reformation.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:10 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Thanks for your replies; however, I would like to point out that you've misunderstood my question Razz . I know the in universe canon; that's not what I was questioning.

I was questioning whether or not Lucas had meant for the Old Republic to always be a thousand years old, and that the 'thousand generations' line was the actual slip up. Or, as Skuls said, it was merely a case of Lucas changing his mind.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:29 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

But Life, you're forgetting one aspect: Lucas always had overall creative control over the EU. There are plot lines that could have existed, which Lucas has vetoed, ever since the beginning (note that Zahn wanted the Noghri to be called the Sith, explaining why Vader is the "Dark Lord of the Sith".)

If he meant for the Republic to only be 1,000 years old, he would have vetoed the Tales of the Jedi stories, which took place in 5,000 BBY and 4,000-3980s, yet still featured Jedi and a Republic. He would've probably made them call the Republic something else (Alliance, Confederation, any positive government term would do), establishing that it was roughly 1,000 years before the prequels that a Republic formed.

So yes, the fact that EU material in the ancient era exists at all lends credence to the idea that he originally meant 1,000 generations.
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
-Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:01 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I don't think it really matters actually. Whether it was a slip or intentional, it's been explained.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:42 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Taral-DLOS wrote:
But Life, you're forgetting one aspect: Lucas always had overall creative control over the EU. There are plot lines that could have existed, which Lucas has vetoed, ever since the beginning (note that Zahn wanted the Noghri to be called the Sith, explaining why Vader is the "Dark Lord of the Sith".)

If he meant for the Republic to only be 1,000 years old, he would have vetoed the Tales of the Jedi stories, which took place in 5,000 BBY and 4,000-3980s, yet still featured Jedi and a Republic. He would've probably made them call the Republic something else (Alliance, Confederation, any positive government term would do), establishing that it was roughly 1,000 years before the prequels that a Republic formed.

So yes, the fact that EU material in the ancient era exists at all lends credence to the idea that he originally meant 1,000 generations.

Actually, while I have always known he's taken some interest in the EU, I don't know how much of an interest he's taken - both in the past and now. I'm not overly interested in the behind the scenes stuff. Now that's been said, this is good to know, so: thanks! Smile

And, Cerrinea:
Quote:
Hey, guys! I've an idle wonder that I wanted to get your opinions on.
Wink

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:58 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Taral-DLOS wrote:

And yet he let DelRey make Clone Wars stories KNOWING he was going to go back and finish telling tales. See this is my issue with Lucas' involvement- we don't know when he decided to pay attention nor do we know when he decided to care about parts of it either. So anytime he gets going nothing is sacred, not even his own stuff.

He's a fickle God or sorts Wink Heck I could see him just spouting off with a number to only later really give it some thought and change his mind.

I've even seen speculation as to if it was 1,000 years- or 1,000 family Generations.

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-To become a Jedi, it is not the Force one must learn to control but oneself.
-
-Podcasts: Star Wars Beyond the Films, The Star Wars Report, & EUCast

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:55 am Reply with quote  

Well that was because Obi-Wan said something about a 1000 generations.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Aush's EU Cantina

Page 7 of 7