Star Wars Blu-ray
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Movie Saga View previous topic :: View next topic  
Star Wars Blu-ray
 PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:18 pm Reply with quote  

The complete Star Wars saga comes out on Blu-ray September 16, and there has been a lot of talk about it. Recently a lot of people are coming forward with new "changes" and lots of discussion is being churned up. So, just to get us all in the right spot, I figured we should have a thread where we can talk about all the aspects of the upcoming release. Feel free to post here, whether it's about blinking Ewoks, Vader saying no, CGI Yoda, or whatever.

Some useful links. For pre-order and pricing info: TFN
An interesting look at the "changes" controversy and why it might be fake: BigShinyRobot

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:22 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Lucasfilm has confirmed the Vader "no" change.

NYT Article

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:34 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

What do I think of Vader saying no?....No! NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:37 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

That change isn't as bad as the whole Han Shot first thing but its darn close...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:40 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I can see why they added it to the scene but it doesn't make the emotion any better. I think the emotion is displayed well with Vader just looking back and forth says it all. I can even see the sadness in his 'eyes' seeing his only son being frazzled like a piece of bacon and then anger right when he goes to pick up Palps.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:04 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Caedus_16 wrote:
That change isn't as bad as the whole Han Shot first thing but its darn close...

10 times worse to me. Damages the greatest shot and arguably the most important moment in the Saga.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:42 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Agreed. I will be washing my hands of the Blu-Rays I was recently so excited to buy. And I mean that in all seriousness. No more money will be spent on any further releases of the flims. That is my final answer.

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:43 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I'm not going to judge it until I see the whole thing in context. To me it's like reading out of context spoilers before you read the entire book.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:49 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Cerrinea wrote:
I'm not going to judge it until I see the whole thing in context. To me it's like reading out of context spoilers before you read the entire book.

The audio clip that was released isn't mixed the way it is on the film and sounds much worse (that is, Vader's voice doesn't dominate the soundtrack in the rip like it does in the audio clip).

My opinion is "meh" both for the changes and the Internet outrage. I'm not as excited for the blu-ray as I was, but I haven't cancelled my preorder.

It's like Attack of the Clones. In my head, I can see a much better movie if it is cut differently. But I'm not going to hate or refuse to watch Attack of the Clones the way that it is cut. With the OT, we just happen to have seen these better cuts before Lucas made them worse. I'll still enjoy Return of the Jedi; the addition isn't so bad that it ruins the scene. It is just a weaker version in comparison to the way it originally was done.

Edit: http://chainsawsuit.com/2011/08/31/star-wars-is-for-toddlers-now/

Lucas' fundamental problem, and maybe it's because he thinks his audience is only younger children, is he's just adverse to having any sort of subtlety and has to hold the audience's hand and explain everything. It's the same problem I have with Attack of the Clones vis-a-vis the romance subplot.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:50 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

George Lucas Strikes Back

Now it all makes sense! Laughing

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:20 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

Old Master Ben wrote:
Lucasfilm has confirmed the Vader "no" change.

NYT Article

What....what is even happening here? That was just laughable. Confused

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:56 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I'd say the most annoying change to me is the introduction of continuity errors by changing certain shots but forgetting to change others. The rock covering Artoo disappears when he rolls out and the little cave is behind him.

Here's the changes I've seen so far:

Rocks around Artoo
Obi-Wan's krayt howl
Fixed wampa arm
Changed the door to Jabba's palace to make it larger or show more of it
Changed the animation when Han is thawed out of carbonite
Added a Dug to Jabba's palace
Blinking ewoks
When Artoo is shot by the stormtrooper, they've added steam shooting out of his head and more stuff coming out of him
Vader's "No... NOOO"

I guess it's plausible that backlash could change "No... NOOOO" from the 3D release, as originally in the 1997 special edition Luke screams after CHOOSING to leap to his ostensible death at Cloud City, and that was removed from the DVD release. That doesn't do much good for the blu-ray copy though.

I'm mostly annoyed by the fact that some of the errors introduced by the 2004 DVD release weren't corrected. It shows that they place higher priority on adding more unnecessary additions to the film over correcting errors. And that one of the additions introduced a new continuity error is ridiculous.

Someone made the analogy that George Lucas is with the Star Wars movies the way Michael Jackson was with plastic surgery. That seems true. Personally, I'd be more preoccupied with correcting mistakes than with introducing new ones.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:14 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Jedi Master Skid wrote:
What do I think of Vader saying no?....No! NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
I hate it actually. To me its like Revenge of the Sith's cheesy no all over again. I am still a bit excited about the Blu-rays. I'll enjoy going through all the movies and trying to spot the changes Smile

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:52 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Having Vader yell "Noooo!" reminds me of the radio drama.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wcmlWE4o90#t=4m6s

It would have been better to have Vader yell "MY SON!" I also like that, due to the medium, Vader tells Palpatine exactly how he's going to kill him before doing so.

I'm going to listen to these again now.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:38 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Crash: Is the new Han carbonite footage online anywhere? Where did you hear about that change?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Movie Saga

Page 1 of 9