Heir to the Empire Anniversary Reprint
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:19 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Me!

It's really awesome! It's great to revisit the story again, and the annotations are great. I haven't read the short story yet, but I'll probably get to that this weekend.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:35 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

If this came out back in June I would have bought it, but since then my interest in Star Wars has waned and I can't justify spending $30 on a book I already have with annotations and a short story or novella.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:23 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Master Optician wrote:
Coincidentally, I just purchased this trilogy about a month ago and started reading it for the first time. I am just starting on the third, so HttE is still very much fresh on my mind. I did catch something that was rather interesting, which may be well known, I don't know. But a part of the book that was overwritten by the PT, it seems.

Funny, though, because I can't remember what page it's on. Anyway, what was said was that as punishment for the destruction of the Death Star, Palpatine cut one of Vader's hands off. I think Mara told Luke that, which in turn caused him to be reflective about his own hand. To me, the book implies that Vader would have still had a flesh hand, because what impact would cutting off a mechanical hand truly have made?

Just something that seems to have been overlooked, because we now know that Anakin had both arms cut off before the suit. Unless there's a retcon out there. Or we're to assume that Zahn was intending for Vader's removed hand to be mechanical. Doesn't make much sense to me if that's the case.

Maybe he cut it off higher. He had lost his arms around the elbow, so maybe ol'Palps cut one of at the shoulder.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:38 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

The simplest retcon, IMO, is that Mara Jade is full of it; or rather, that she didn't know as much as she thought she did. She has an adversarial relationship with Vader in Allegiance and Choices of One, so perhaps Palpatine fed her that line as positive reinforcement.

Corporal punishment doesn't seem like something Palpatine really would do with Vader; I would think that the whole Vader-Xixor rivalry subplot in Shadows of the Empire is the type of head games that Palpatine would play with Vader (Allegiance actually lampshades this when Mara encounters Vader). Or sending him to deal with slavery, but rather than liberate slaves, aid Imperial slavers.

I don't really view it as such a problem since it's hearsay, so it's not like hearsay hasn't been untrue in the past.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:08 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

The simple answer is this: the book was written before the prequels.

A more convoluted answer would be that Mara was given false information by the Emperor, or that she was referring to an artificial hand.

An important reminder that one needs to consider publication date when reading the EU.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:50 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

If my library gets it, I'll definitley check it out for the annotations.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:28 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

I finally got my copy in the mail yesterday. Love the new cover, and the old cover printed underneath is really beautiful. The annotations have been really neat so far (I'm still in the first chapter), and the special forward and introduction are very interesting.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:29 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I think the annotations are basically Zahn putting on a clinic on how to write an authentic Star Wars book without just reusing all the planets and unique stuff from the films, but instead creating new stuff.

Let's have a moment of silence for froffli-style haircuts, etheric rudders, and slicers (pretty much).

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:03 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Crash Override wrote:
...... I can't justify spending $30 on a book I already have with annotations and a short story or novella.

I just have to agree with the qouted part of Crash'statement.
I would basically be spending 30 bucks for a short story, because I don't care much for the annotations anyway. That's just to much right now even though I would love to read a new Thrawn story.

"You're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."

http://www.reedius.deviantart.com/

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:06 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

I get your point, but there's no need to spend $30. Barnes and Noble is selling it online for $16, and many other places are selling it for similar prices. Really, I don't think anyone could afford to buy many Star Wars books lately if they just grabbed them for the cover price off a store shelf. Online is the way to go.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:09 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I was given it as a gift yesterday.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:16 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

True, but if I'll buy it it'll be later on, when the book will be cheaper still.

"You're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."

http://www.reedius.deviantart.com/

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:08 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

To me, this is my way of showing Del Rey what sorts of EU novels I want. Yes, I already have an autographed hardcover of the entire Thrawn trilogy, but I still bought HttE. Why? Because it's awesome, I want Zahn to write more EU books, and I want the other novels in the trilogy reissued.

It's the same reason I splurge on tons of Her Universe merchandise, when I can only wear Star Wars shirts two days out of the week.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:37 pm Reply with quote  

I'm with JediMara77 on this one. I felt by buying this one, it showed my support for more novels. Plus for me there's a huge personal factor in that I started the whole SWEU off with Dark Force Rising, so I'd love to get that one in hardcover with the annotations... Very Happy

@Reep: Awesome! You read my article Cool I really wish I could find out who some of the artists were on the foreign covers. There seems to be absolutely zero info on some of them. And the Hungarian ones are surprisingly good.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:57 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

@Skuldren: I didn't even notice that you wrote it, I just found the link on Twitter. Awesome! I'll be looking for the next ones. Cool

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 2 of 3