Star Wars Blu-ray
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Movie Saga View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:01 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Crash Override wrote:
He says the same thing I said. Their priorities are stupid. They should fix the lightsabers completely before changing the door to Jabba's palace or adding a Dug, Or they add sparks to the junk scene in Empire without fixing the lightsabers at all.

I really can't understand Lucas' obsession with altering the films if he doesn't care if the visual effects are inconsistent or wrong. Unless the lightsabers are supposed to look completely different from film to film. And the fixes they do are inconsistent, like the blue escape pod lid is fixed in one scene but not another, or the lightsabers being fixed in one scene but not another (or at all in Empire). It just indicates that Lucas isn't driven by perfectionism at all when he alters his films. Maybe he's just trolling the fans.

The fixes are particularly annoying with the green lightsaber on the Millennium Falcon, where they fixed it for a few frames and showed this off to the press as having fixed it. But then it's green again for the stuff they didn't show to the press.

Yeah one does have to wonder what is motivating these so called "improvements" when sometimes they aren't "improving" some things but are more like Masking. I would think the errors would have been the #1 priority.

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-To become a Jedi, it is not the Force one must learn to control but oneself.
-
-Podcasts: Star Wars Beyond the Films, The Star Wars Report, & EUCast

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:47 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

just got the set today and is loving it so far Smile

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:51 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Teck wrote:
You watched TPM? No,no,no you always watch Star Wars in the order 4,5,6,1,2,3. You don't watvh TPM first. Wink

The Force is strong with that one Wink lol

That's how I'll be watching it, too, and I assume after watching 1, 2, and 3, I'll continue on Laughing

"Then you saved my life. How disgusting. How unfortunate."
"No, don't gush on so. It was nothing, really."

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:23 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Watching Empire Strikes Back now after watching A New Hope earlier this morning.

Usually, movies on Blu-ray look sharper to me than their DVD counterparts but I'm not seeing much difference with these. I suspect Episode II & III will look different since they were filmed digitally. This really reinforces my belief that buying old movies on blu-ray isn't worth it if you at least have them on DVD. Newer movies, however, is worth it.

Now some scenes do look sharper while others don't. I guess it varies.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:24 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Aush wrote:
Watching Empire Strikes Back now after watching A New Hope earlier this morning.

Usually, movies on Blu-ray look sharper to me than their DVD counterparts but I'm not seeing much difference with these. I suspect Episode II & III will look different since they were filmed digitally. This really reinforces my belief that buying old movies on blu-ray isn't worth it if you at least have them on DVD. Newer movies, however, is worth it.

Now some scenes do look sharper while others don't. I guess it varies.

It depends on the film. The reason why Star Wars doesn't look that different is probably because the same master used for the DVD is at use. If an old film is remastered now and digitally scanned at 4k or 8k pixels it will look great on blu-ray. Blade Runner was done in 2007 at 4k pixels and looks a lot better on blu-ray than DVD, and it was filmed in 1981.

It also depends upon the quality of the film being scanned. I've heard Casablanca and The Maltese Falcon, two films from the early 1940s, look great on blu-ray. From what I understand, a lot of films from the late 70s and 80s used a certain film stock that was really prone to degradation, which is why SW was in a bad state when they did the Special Editions.

So it really depends upon whether the film's original negative has degraded, and whether the studio bothered to digitally scan it recently or if it's using an older master from the early 2000s that was created for the DVD release of the film.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:50 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Aush wrote:
Teck wrote:
You watched TPM? No,no,no you always watch Star Wars in the order 4,5,6,1,2,3. You don't watvh TPM first. Wink

The Force is strong with that one Wink lol

That's how I'll be watching it, too, and I assume after watching 1, 2, and 3, I'll continue on Laughing

If it's your first time watching the films, yes. But now I usually watch them 1-6, especially if I'm doing a marathon.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:23 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

so far I've watched them in this order: ROTJ, TPM, ESB, AOTC, ANH. Haven't gotten around to ROTS yet, and I'm in no hurry to do so.

the slowwwww load time on these discs really drives me crazy.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:27 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

wookie_inked wrote:
so far I've watched them in this order: ROTJ, TPM, ESB, AOTC, ANH. Haven't gotten around to ROTS yet, and I'm in no hurry to do so.

the slowwwww load time on these discs really drives me crazy.

The slow load time is indicative of your Blu Ray player, not the disks themselves. Mine load very fast.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:45 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

The thing I hate about my blu-ray player is that it comes up in a quite big box saying 'reading' when I select different options on the bonus disc.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:17 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Has anyone had trouble with disc scratching?

I just got mine, and haven't had a problem. But the box reminds me of the box set for ALIAS: The Complete Series, which had notorious problems with scratching discs as you pulled them from booklets (invariably dragging the surface against cardboard).

-Sparks Nevada, Marshal on Mars

"Who cares what evil lurks in the hearts of men!"
"Unless evil's carrying the Martini tray, darling."
-Frank and Sadie Doyle

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:41 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Blu-ray is said to be scratch resistant. I'm tempted to get other cases but probably won't be getting this edition out too much to watch.

And I understand the problems old films have with degradation. Many early films have been lost for all time because of this and why some organizations are out to raise money to preserve these films.

My blu-ray player takes several moments to load initially but not once it gets going. I have observed the different speeds on friends players and PS3. When I get another blu-ray player, I'll be more aware of researching load times from Consumer Reports or equivalents.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:01 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Taral-DLOS wrote:
Has anyone had trouble with disc scratching?

I just got mine, and haven't had a problem. But the box reminds me of the box set for ALIAS: The Complete Series, which had notorious problems with scratching discs as you pulled them from booklets (invariably dragging the surface against cardboard).

The book packaging seems like a real scratch magnet, but apparently that's not the case. They are pretty darn secure in there.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:20 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Okay that's good.

The material under the discs seems scratch-resistant (the ALIAS booklets have been just solid cardboard, and were notorious scratchy; when I bought the series from eBay, the seller had apparently collected the best-conditioned discs from three sets).

I just wanted to know if anyone's had any trouble with it.

-Sparks Nevada, Marshal on Mars

"Who cares what evil lurks in the hearts of men!"
"Unless evil's carrying the Martini tray, darling."
-Frank and Sadie Doyle

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:27 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I have only seen one blue-ray movie, Fantastaic Four 2. It took a long time to load, and then at the very end, just when he's going to attack the giant alien, it stopped working.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:36 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

The most worrying part of that post was that they made a Fantastic Four 2. No wonder the quality of the disc was bad...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Movie Saga

Page 8 of 9