Random Questions about the Saga!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Movie Saga View previous topic :: View next topic  
Random Questions about the Saga!
 PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:15 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

**Mod Edit- changed title to fit the discussion**

Morning all!

To coincide with the release of Blu Ray versions of the Saga, I've been watching the films for the first time in approximately four years. I can't believe I've not managed to stay away for so long! But, alas, there's been little time.

Now, a few questions have popped up in my mind, as I've watched them - and I've managed to answer most of them myself, through my knowledge of the EU. However, my sister asked me a question earlier, as I watched ANH, one which I had no answer to. I'm sure there is an answer, I just haven't read the novelizations to know it, and wouldn't really know what to look for.

My sister was confused, during the Ben's Hut scene, when Ben says 'he [uncle Owen] didn't hold with your father's ideals, thought he should've stayed here and not gotten involved'. I didn't know how to answer her. What exactly did he mean? What do you all think?

If you've got your own random question, then feel free to post it here!
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it (or even read all of it). These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:33 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Presumably when it was written Obi-Wan and Anakin were both from Tatooine and went to fight in the Clone Wars, whereas Owen thought they should have stayed on Tatooine and not gotten involved in the Clone Wars.

Now, Obi-Wan is lying.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:40 pm Reply with quote  

Or it means when Vader came back to save his mom, Owen thought he should have stayed and not gone back out with the Jedi. From Owen's point of view, it would have been the death of him. Course this is retconning.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:49 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Laughing I remember saying 'Obi Wan is lying' all the way through that part to pre-empt any questions from my sister. I just wasn't sure, since the Clone Wars hadn't started at that point, and - at least this is the impression I got - Anakin went straight from hearing the message from Obi Wan and the council, to flying there, without talking to Owen. Now, Skuls, is that the official retcon?

Anyway, thanks, guys!
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it (or even read all of it). These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:38 pm Reply with quote  

So, has anyone else seen this Adywan Star Wars Revisited fan edit film? This guy has redone A New Hope and is working ESB now. I've checked out a few clips on youtube and they look surprisingly good. I mean really good...like rivaling Lucas good. I've never heard of this until recently.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:37 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Darth Skuldren wrote:
So, has anyone else seen this Adywan Star Wars Revisited fan edit film? This guy has redone A New Hope and is working ESB now. I've checked out a few clips on youtube and they look surprisingly good. I mean really good...like rivaling Lucas good. I've never heard of this until recently.

I've seen the Revisited cut. It's kind of paradoxical; he makes alterations like putting the Death Star over Despayre early on and people like it, but it's pretty much the same thing that Lucas is criticized for.

The effects are pretty good. The only two that come to mind as annoying are that he adds a bunch of TIE fighters to the Battle of Yavin and adds the Imperial March, and the Death Star explosion is changed so that it's in the process of firing when it explodes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gt4R733Y6Nk

I like the way he changed the Emperor scene in Empire though:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0q0CF5Y1cI&feature=related

I found the discontinuity in Palpatine's appearance between Revenge, Empire, and Jedi to be irritating. He's a lot thicker in the neck in Revenge, which is fine, but he has that appearance in Empire now too, and it doesn't make sense with how he looks in Jedi.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:53 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Darth Skuldren wrote:

I've seen it in its entirety, yes. Generally I quite liked it, though some of the changes didn't sit well with me for a few reasons, one of which being what Crash has said. The main one that I didn't like was the changing of the Ben-Vader duel. It's not that it didn't need some sort of change, but I just feel it wasn't well done.

The only two that come to mind as annoying are that he adds a bunch of TIE fighters to the Battle of Yavin

I quite liked that one. In the real one, at first only six TIEs are shown to come out to face a force of 30 fighters (I don't know if that includes the Y-Wings or not) with Vader popping up later with two more TIEs. I get the the Empire was supposed to be arrogant and think that the Rebels would never win, but you still have to send out a decent size force to effectively sweep them away. Like swatting away a fly: you know it can't harm you, but you still employ a fly swatter larger than the actual fly.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:00 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

It's not the change itself that I disliked, but the Imperial March doesn't fit the Battle of Yavin score so it stands out, and the effect itself doesn't look that good because the TIE fighters look like mirror images of each other.

And yeah, I forgot Battle of the Heroes plays during the duel. That's kind of awful. He shouldn't have touched the soundtrack. Even Lucas hasn't done that. That's really no different than Vader shouting "NOOO" as he picks up Palpatine. It's a callback for the sake of being a callback that doesn't fit the scene.

The changes I liked were mostly fixes or otherwise minor improvements, rather than judgment calls (but that could be my judgment call lol), like when Vader tells Tarkin they just made the jump to hyperspace, when it shows Han and Leia's subsequent conversation they're actually in hyperspace.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:30 pm Reply with quote  

Well in the guy's defense, he did make a purest version with no changes, only corrections. Then there's the one were he changed some scenes. I actually like the way he changed the battle of Yavin.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:56 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Darth Skuldren wrote:
Well in the guy's defense, he did make a purest version with no changes, only corrections. Then there's the one were he changed some scenes. I actually like the way he changed the battle of Yavin.

I have his pure versions I think. Somewhere..

I'm not trashing it, but I look at that originaltrilogy forum occasionally and they trash on Lucas but this guy did blinking Greedo before Lucas did blinking Ewoks so I'm really not sure why they hate Lucas. They are doing the same thing, he just doesn't like Lucas' changes.

I guess the only legit complaint in my mind is that Lucas' new cuts have replaced the original cuts. But knowing that Lucas re-used the same masters on blu-ray as the DVD, and that he used the laserdisc master for the original cuts on DVD, it's not a surprise he hasn't released the original cuts on blu-ray or remastered them. It's taking a path of least resistance more than anything, I think.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:42 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Here's a random question:

My avatar raised the question of why Luke is wearing his "Dagobah training outfit" when he fights Vader instead of his X-Wing flight suit. He wears the X-Wing flight suit en route to Bespin. Does he change is clothes in his X-Wing after he lands?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:37 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Well, you know what a flight suit smells like after a long trip through hyperspace. Luke probably wanted to be all spiffy for Vader.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:36 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Maybe he wore his flight suit over his regular clothes.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:40 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Not strictly OT related, but this also brings to my mind a possible influence on the negative reception that the prequels have received. The OT is lauded as one of the first "used future" films in which everything isn't pristine and the characters don't wear shiny silver spacesuits. I find myself wondering if the Jedi robes and elaborate costumes worn by Amidala work against the prequels in the same way that the more mundane clothing of the OT worked for it? I think it definitely inhibits the relatability of the characters. The OT is about Rebels fighting in the dirt, so to speak, whereas the protagonists of the prequel trilogy are a lot more "high society."

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:24 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

That's definitely a contributing factor; but I also think that, out of the prequels, TPM is also the most used-looking of the three. Certainly, when you look at the Junk shop, you'd be hard pressed to say that wasn't lived in. My guess is that since that movie relied less on CGI, which only has as much detail as the artists can think of, it had a better lived-in feeling.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Movie Saga

Page 1 of 2