Heir to the Empire Anniversary Reprint
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:01 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Adding to froffli-style haircuts, etheric rudders, and slicers: hot chocolate and the Manari mountains.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:49 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

I've seen people comment (not here necessarily, I think it was on twitter) that if you're not a fan of Zahn's recent Star Wars work (by which I assume means Outbound Flight and on) that you won't like Crisis of Faith. I've got to say, I disagree. This is the only work he's done in years that really centers around Thrawn and his story, which really brings back feelings of reading Thrawn in action in the first place.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:45 am Reply with quote  

I liked the new short story. The bug people were surprisingly interesting. They felt better than the Killiks. And the way it played out like complicated chess game was pretty cool. Though I have to wonder at the ending if there's still room for Nuso Esva.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:17 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

I'm still waiting for the library on this one, but at least I'm first in line! Smile

Communications Coordinator at EUCantina.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:17 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Darth Skuldren wrote:
The bug people were surprisingly interesting. They felt better than the Killiks.

Ya know, I thought the same thing while reading it. I instantly cringed upon reading tha they were bug-like, but they weren't creepy! Hooray!!!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:57 am Reply with quote  

Haha, same thing went through my mind. As soon as I realized the character that was speaking was surrounded by bugs I groaned and thought "oh no, not the Killiks again." One thing that helped was these bugs didn't have a blurry hive mind. Plus I liked the names Zahn was using for them. It added to their alienness.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:56 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

So I'm re-reading Heir to the Empire now and the tone is so different than Fate of the Jedi or Legacy of the Force, and I can't quite put my finger on why, but I suspect it's many different factors. One of which, I think, is that Zahn wrote Heir to the Empire knowing that his audience saw the Star Wars films, so he doesn't hold the audience's hand and explain everything. The current books explain everything. In Fate of the Jedi, I think at least two separate books explained who Darth Caedus was.

Heir to the Empire also feels like a Star Wars movie. I don't think the more recent books we've gotten feel like movies.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:15 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Crash Override wrote:
Heir to the Empire also feels like a Star Wars movie. I don't think the more recent books we've gotten feel like movies.

IMO that was one of the main points of why the Thrawn Trilogy was so successful, it felt like Episodes 7, 8, and 9 in book format. The story was just so good and it was pretty much the first of its kind of the Star Wars EU. Timothy Zahn is a fantastic writer, and for me anyone who says they're a Star Wars fan and haven't read the trilogy is cheating themselves out of some of the best books I've personally ever read.

As for the 20th Anniversary reprint, I'm glad the book itself is getting a reprint as it will open up the trilogy for new audiences, but I myself am mostly interested in the Thrawn short story as I have an autographed copy of the paperback myself. Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:52 pm Reply with quote  

Still no word on whether they are doing the rest of the series or not. Plus editor Betsy Mitchell is retiring in December. She wrote some of the annotations, as well as the afterword. Wonder if they do more if they'll still have her help contribute?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 3 of 3