Dawn of the Jedi
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dawn of the Jedi
 PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:21 am Reply with quote  

Dawn of the Jedi is a new upcoming Star Wars comic series that will be written by John Ostrander.

Quote:
"a new Star Wars ongoing series, Dawn Of The Jedi, with issues 0 and 1 launching in February 2012, described as their coolest Star Wars comic ever. Written by John Ostrander, it will start at the beginning of the Star Wars timeline with the very beginning of the Jedi Knights, in a time before light sabres when they only fought with swords."

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/10/13/dark-horse-to-tell-the-origin-of-the-jedi-in-new-ongoing-series-and-the-death-of-boba-fett/

I hope this digs into the whole Ashla and Boga thing. Will be neat to see Force users using magical katanas and hopefully dealing with early philosophies on the Force.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:02 am Reply with quote  

Comic Book Resources has an exclusive interview with John Ostrander and Jan Duursema covering the new series.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=34902

Plus pics!

And Dark Horse has more info...

Quote:
This is the Star Wars era of legend! Launching with a #0 issue, which will serve as the official guide for readers - Star Wars: Dawn of the Jedi is the perfect jumping on point for any fan of Star Wars!

Here’s your first look at the Star Wars of 25,000 years ago—before there were lightsabers, when the ties to the Force were new, and before the Jedi spread out into the galaxy. It began with the mysterious pyramid ships—the Tho Yor—scattered to the eight corners of the galaxy, and ended with the establishment of an Order that would change the universe forever.

On the planet Tython, in the center of the galaxy, an order of warrior monks strives to maintain peace and to balance the mysterious power known as the Force. But a stranger is coming—one who will destroy both peace and balance, and open the galaxy to exploration and conquest. This is where it all begins!

Star Wars: Dawn of the Jedi #0 is on sale 1 February 2012

Star Wars: Dawn of the Jedi—Force Storm #1 is on sale 15 February 2012

http://www.darkhorse.com/Blog/677/dark-horse-announces-star-wars-dawn-jedi

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:00 am Reply with quote  

Seriously, you have to read the CBR interview Ostrander did. He mentions a Sith (species) being a Je'daii, Rakatan villains, and floating stone pyramid ships! This sounds awesome. Could totally blow every other series out of the water. I love how he mentioned any Force user who is too far in the light or dark gets exiled to one of two moons. The Force Hound thing sounds odd, though. What's a Force Hound?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:02 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

Something isn't adding up:

Quote:
before their were lightsabers

*Frowns*

Anyhoo, this is something I've been interested in seeing for, well, ever since I've gotten into the Star Wars EU. My wallet isn't going to like me with all these comics coming out, but I don't think I can resist.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:41 am Reply with quote  

I was wondering that too. But guess what, John says it isn't a lightsaber...

http://boards.darkhorse.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=19061&start=15#p257146

Another observation, I'm going to guess that those things in the air are the floating pyramids. They've got the classic Imperial symbol on them. Since the ships were designed by an unknown alien race, I'm wondering then whose symbol it is? Might it be Celestial? Or is it someone else, an enemy of the Rakatans?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:17 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Floating stone pyramid ships? I didn't know this was Stargate. Wink

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:15 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I like the sound of it. It is very vauge about the origins of the Jedi and Sith.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:39 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

The spoke symbol is that of the Bendu monks.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Bendu

I'm not sure what to think about this series. I have very mixed thoughts about it.

The picture with the not-a-lightsaber kind of reminded me of this:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:04 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

This is a series I could get into. Cool

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:36 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

This has demonstrated one of my (probably irrational) pet peeves about SW or continuity. While other people are bothered by a character dying twice, this is what bothers me:

"Shae Koda is a Dathomiri female; both of her parents were killed before our story opens in an event called The Despot War."

Dathomir was in the ancient SW past populated by the Kwa until it was conquered by the Rakata. Humans didn't colonize it until it became a prison colony for the Paecean Empire c. 3.000 BBY. "Later Dathomiri tradition would remember the initial Human population as the exiled creators of illegal battle droid armies, but it is not clear whether the settlers arrived in a single event, or whether the planet was in more continuous use as a penal colony over a period of centuries or millennia."

The planet wasn't notable for Force sensitives until c. 600 BBY when the Jedi Allya was exiled there. (though it did have a Sith academy prior to this -- similar complaint from me)

Now I'm sure there's a perfectly reasonable explanation, which my guess would be that under the auspices of the Infinite Empire, human slaves were transported to Dathomir. But I'm overly anal about these minor retcons. It's like when some past event is given a few sentences of description for flavor text, and then later the actual event is depicted in a way which completely subverts the original meaning -- often times while not making it *wrong* but changing the meaning of the original description -- it annoys me.

As for my actual mixed thoughts:

I find the premise itself very intriguing and interesting. My initial concern is that I find the exploration of this era somewhat more interesting the way that it has been handled previously via KOTOR and the first three novels of FOTJ. The pre-Republic era is more interesting to me when it's shrouded in mystery and the characters are trying to piece together what happened. When the story is set in that era, this mystery is eliminated.

It appears that they're trying to compensate for this by having these mysterious Tho Yor pyramid ships of unknown origin transport Force sensitives to Tython, so there's mystery there. And I imagine that the pre-pre-Republic era will still serve as a source of mystery. So I certainly have faith that Ostrander can pull it off.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:19 am Reply with quote  

Here's the alternate cover for DOTJ #1

Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)

Blurb: On the planet Tython, in the center of the galaxy, an order of warrior monks strives to maintain peace and to balance the mysterious power known as the Force. But a stranger is coming—one who will destroy both peace and balance, and open the galaxy to exploration and conquest. This is where it all begins!

DOTJ #1 will be out on February 15, 2012. DOTJ #0 will be out on February 1, 2012.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:33 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Darth Skuldren wrote:

I was wondering that too. But guess what, John says it isn't a lightsaber...

If that isn't a lightsaber...Confused

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:52 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I'm so buying this issue to issue

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:08 am Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

It annoys me when every single SW comic claims it's
Quote:
the perfect jumping on point for any fan of Star Wars!

Regardless of whether it requires detailed knowledge of past events in-universe to understand.

You shall learn that history is an intricate weaving of many events. No one thing can be understood without the proper context.

The best techniques are passed on by the survivors.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:32 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Well, since this goes back to the very beginning of the Jedi I'd say it is a good jumping off point.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 1 of 9