The Politics Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 38, 39, 40  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Meditation Grove View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:12 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Queen Padmè Skywalker wrote:
Teck wrote:
I won't be 18 until 3 months after the 2012 elections and I am ticked I won't have a chance to help boot Obama out of office.

I voted in the last Presidential election and let me tell you, it wasn't very satisfying when I didn't like any of the candidates. I'm hoping someone worthwhile will run this time so I won't be voting just to get Obama out. Confused

Has anyone considered voting for the candidate who will be easiest to mock? Voting not to improve the status quo (because the status is NOT quo), but instead to maximize the quality of humor pundits (Daily Show, Colbert Report, Rick Mercer Report for Canada, etc.)?

-Sparks Nevada, Marshal on Mars

"Who cares what evil lurks in the hearts of men!"
"Unless evil's carrying the Martini tray, darling."
-Frank and Sadie Doyle

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:52 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Taral-DLOS wrote:
Teck wrote:
I won't be 18 until 3 months after the 2012 elections and I am ticked I won't have a chance to help boot Obama out of office.

I voted in the last Presidential election and let me tell you, it wasn't very satisfying when I didn't like any of the candidates. I'm hoping someone worthwhile will run this time so I won't be voting just to get Obama out. Confused

Has anyone considered voting for the candidate who will be easiest to mock? Voting not to improve the status quo (because the status is NOT quo), but instead to maximize the quality of humor pundits (Daily Show, Colbert Report, Rick Mercer Report for Canada, etc.)?

Saterday Night Live!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:17 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

Sarah Palin recently announced that she won't be running for President this time round. I wondered if any of you would have voted for her, had she decided to run?

My answer is obvious, but if I were in the US, I'd not vote for her. I've been researching her recently, and I have to say I wasn't impressed with her. To quote one member from another site:
Quote:
She's uninformed on issues she should know more about, and yet, speaks as though she knows what she's talking about. And I don't mean in a "I disagree with her views on ___" sense, I mean in a factual "this is what's going on" sense. It's a dangerous combination.

Too, I'm simply not impressed by her hissy fits whenever someone disagrees or contradicts her, as seen on her twitter page.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it (or even read all of it). These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:10 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Sarah Palin was a publicity stunt in my mind. I would never have voted for her, unless we were going with Taral's idea of electing the easiest person to mock.

At this point though, I'm not sold on anyone.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:42 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Well I ended up voting last night (I voted for Horwell) basically because I wanted to vote against McQuinty and his reign of educational terror. Looks like it didn't work anyway.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:42 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

Taral-DLOS wrote:
(because the status is NOT quo),

Not gonna lie, I totally read that in Dr. Horrible's voice. Wink

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:57 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Taral-DLOS wrote:

Excellent! That's what I was hoping for!

The world's a mess and...I just...have to rule it.

-Frank and Sadie Doyle

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:25 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

Taral-DLOS wrote:
Taral-DLOS wrote:

Excellent! That's what I was hoping for!

The world's a mess and...I just...have to rule it.

That last quote was part of my sig for the longest time.

Look at my wrist, I gotta go!

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:35 am Reply with quote  

So, whether you're Republican or not, anyone got anything to say about the candidates? Personally I'm favoring Herman Cain. I like what he says, his answers in the debates and interviews, and the fact that he's not a career politician.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:59 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

While a flat tax might seem fair, I would imagine that if Cain's 9% flat income tax were implemented, a person that makes $20,000 a year would miss the $1,800 that is taxed much more than someone making $2,000,000 a year would miss the $180,000.

When you couple that with a 9% federal sales tax, I imagine that it would hit the lower class pretty hard.

I suppose it all comes down to ideology, but in the past few years I've thought that if as a simple matter of reality, "the top 10% [possess] 80% of all financial assets [and] the bottom 90% [hold] only 20% of all financial wealth" in the United States, then if the federal tax system treats everyone equally, then as a matter of reality it's actually benefiting the top 10% that possess 80% of the wealth in the country. Thus, I don't really find it to be "unfair" to increase their tax burden. Even under a flat income tax, they're already taxed more than those less wealthy, is it truly less fair to tax them proportionally more of their income because their income is exponentially more than the lower classes? They're still obscenely rich.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:55 pm Reply with quote  

Currently I'm not impressed with either the Republicans or Democrats as a party (never mind individual candidates). Personally I'm not inclined to believe either party is capable of running the country as the Republicans seem to stonewall everything the Democrats propose and the Democrats seem unwilling to stand up for anything.

So right now I'll probably be voting for a 3rd party candidate. My feeling right now is that at best the Republican/Democrat nominees will have a case of "lesser of two evils" (namely "will screw up badly enough, particularly economically, to send us back to the middle ages but not so bad we're sent back to the stone age"). So yeah as you might guess I'm pretty disgusted with both parties right now.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:02 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/10/11/domestic-violence-law-topeka-kansas_n_1006203.html Shocked
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it (or even read all of it). These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:53 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I hate politicians.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:26 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Life Is The Path wrote:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/10/11/domestic-violence-law-topeka-kansas_n_1006203.html Shocked

That's offensive. My God, what is the world coming to? Legalizing spousal rape in Afghanistan, and decriminalizing spousal abuse in Kansas?

What is the world coming to?

-Frank and Sadie Doyle

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:20 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

The world's been like this for a looong time unfortunately. I've read enough old books to know that. Sad

I'll say it again: I hate politicians. I voted this time for the novelty of turning 18. Never again. Okay, possibly again but I certainly won't be voting for the sake of voting. If I do vote it will probably be to get/keep someone out of office.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Meditation Grove

Page 3 of 40