Education
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Meditation Grove View previous topic :: View next topic  
Education
 PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:50 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

The education system is one weird thing.

A school in my city has banned hugging between students. This is a school that goes from Kindergarten to Grade 8 and the principal said there was no sexual concerns for the decision. Rather he said that school is a 'workplace setting' and hugging is inappropriate in said setting. I can't help but laugh whenever I mention this to someone. It's like something from a cartoon. "Sorry children, no hugging allowed". Twisted Evil

Honestly, what are they trying to do to these poor kids? *headdesk*

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:14 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Haha crazy - my son is 2 and his daycare works on hugging and being nice to one another.

Re: Education
 PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:26 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Reepicheep wrote:
Rather he said that school is a 'workplace setting' and hugging is inappropriate in said setting.

Forgive me for being stupid, but uh...since when? They're kids! School is not a workplace setting. That is the craziest thing I've ever heard. Neutral

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:29 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

My girlfriend works at a school in California that is supposed to be more 'modern'. She's ready to go postal service on the place. The vice principal was wandering around telling teachers that they weren't there to teach the students responsibility, just to teach subjects. They won't allow her to stick to a due date and she has to accept work whenever its turned in, and the students gossip with the teachers and the teachers gossip and start rumors as well...with STUDENTS. Its so horrible, I just can't stand it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:39 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Is this a public or private school?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:54 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Private sadly

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:02 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Caedus_16 wrote:
My girlfriend works at a school in California that is supposed to be more 'modern'. She's ready to go postal service on the place. The vice principal was wandering around telling teachers that they weren't there to teach the students responsibility, just to teach subjects. They won't allow her to stick to a due date and she has to accept work whenever its turned in, and the students gossip with the teachers and the teachers gossip and start rumors as well...with STUDENTS. Its so horrible, I just can't stand it.

That's too bad. Learning how to act and interact with people is pretty critical to navigating the real world.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:57 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Caedus_16 wrote:
Private sadly

I kind of figured it would be. So another flaky California experiment.

I can call them flaky because I used to live in California. Wildly oversimplified, general statement, but great people; serious lack of common sense. I really kind of miss it cause it made me feel so normal. Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:11 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Cerrinea wrote:
Caedus_16 wrote:
Private sadly

I kind of figured it would be. So another flaky California experiment.

I can call them flaky because I used to live in California. Wildly oversimplified, general statement, but great people; serious lack of common sense. I really kind of miss it cause it made me feel so normal. Very Happy

Haha its one of a set but its the only one run that way. It really makes her mad and she absolutely hates it. She's leaving next year.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:21 pm Reply with quote  

As stupid as that is I think I've got one that tops that:

In my home town it is a tradition at Halloween for the elementary school kids to wear their costumes to school and at the end of the day there is a big parade around the block/neighborhood where they get to show off their costumes.

Except this year apparently Halloween is offensive to some people for cultural/religious reasons and since we don't want to make these kids feel oppressed or left out (or whatever the heck they would feel) some of my home town's elementary schools have banned the Halloween parade and naturally the kids can't bring their costumes to school either.

This being a public school too. The paper didn't specify the group that was offended, just that they were. At any rate it puzzles the heck out of me how Halloween is offensive in a cultural or religious sense. Its not like skinning live kittens is part of the parade and I'm pretty sure dressing up as a Stormtrooper doesn't count as devil worship.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:34 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Salaris Vorn wrote:

In my home town it is a tradition at Halloween for the elementary school kids to wear their costumes to school and at the end of the day there is a big parade around the block/neighborhood where they get to show off their costumes.

Except this year apparently Halloween is offensive to some people for cultural/religious reasons and since we don't want to make these kids feel oppressed or left out (or whatever the heck they would feel) some of my home town's elementary schools have banned the Halloween parade and naturally the kids can't bring their costumes to school either.

This being a public school too. The paper didn't specify the group that was offended, just that they were. At any rate it puzzles the heck out of me how Halloween is offensive in a cultural or religious sense. Its not like skinning live kittens is part of the parade and I'm pretty sure dressing up as a Stormtrooper doesn't count as devil worship.

I knew a religious couple who were offended by it but they didn't whine or protest, just didn't participate. Most things are ruined because people don't take things with a grain of salt or like functioning adults would. Its kind of sad.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:42 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Halloween was originally a pagan holiday which is why the early christian church made Nov. 1 All Saints Day. But to be offended by something that is so far back in history is imo ridiculous.

However, I know a lot of public schools in several states who've given up letting the kids wear costumes to school on Halloween. I think some of this is due to idiot parents letting their kids wear inappropriate costumes. The schools just don't want the hassle. It's easier to just ban than try to address what is and isn't inappropriate. Somebody will always complain so I can't say I blame the schools.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:19 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I'm an English-Canadian, and my religious background is Anglican. I went to French Catholic school. A quick thing about French Canada: the culture was attacked so many times historically (there were laws in Ontario banning teaching French about a century ago), so the school was so obsessively proud of its heritage to the point of being really irritating. Especially if you're from the culture that was oppressing them.

Another quick point is that I'm fairly left-leaning, and religious schools are not very good for that. Before learning about evolution, my teacher told the class that we didn't need to believe what we learned, but the curriculum was forcing her to teach it. When doing sex ed, we were told that condoms were a sin. Thankfully, Grade 11 Religion class was taught by the most open-minded teacher on staff (she arranged tours of a Hindu Temple, a Buddhist Temple, a Sikh Temple, and a Mosque, it was really cool.)

And one day, in Grade 12, there was a pep rally in the Gym to honour the Senior Boys Volley-Ball team (treated like gods despite the whole no-false-idols thing). As a bit of a protest, on my way out of the gym, I childishly yelled "Volley-ball sucks!" A few days go by, and the coach says to me "Did you yell 'Volley-Ball sucks' at my team?" And I was all "...maybe." Her reply was, and I kid you not, "How would you feel if they said 'Trekkies are gay?' " I said "They DO say that." THEN she was all concerned "WHO? WHO SAYS THAT?!" She seriously felt bad about the prospect of a student being called gay, especially from the team she coaches. I just told her "Don't worry about it, they're just kidding. They're not being malicious, and neither was I." But I found it amusing that the teacher thought that the worst insult someone could be called is "gay".

-Sparks Nevada, Marshal on Mars

"Who cares what evil lurks in the hearts of men!"
"Unless evil's carrying the Martini tray, darling."
-Frank and Sadie Doyle

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:56 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

Salaris Vorn wrote:

Doesn't surprise me at all, considering many schools have banned Christmas pageants and such, as well.

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:40 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Caedus_16 wrote:

That's terrible. Sad

My school isn't like that, thank God, but I remember in my Grade 11 Biology class and we were learning about reproduction (always a joy). When students started making dumb jokes about my teacher not only didn't tell them to grow up, she joined in!

I'm glad I didn't grow up in this madhouse. I seriously think I'd be messed up if I had.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Meditation Grove

Page 1 of 4