What's your favorite horror movie?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
What's your favorite horror movie?
 PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:25 am Reply with quote  

It's Halloween time so a perfect reason to break out discussion about horror films. Whether you like them or not, feel free to discuss them here. What's your favorite? What's the scariest one you've seen? Which one made an impression on you as a child?

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:29 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Classic slashers usually do it for me, and on the Halloween weekend me and my friends usually see a scary movie in theatres. We saw 4 Saw films and are going through the Paranormal Activity franchise now.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:21 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Friday the 13th series. You just can't beat Jason.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:33 am Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Wait until Dark, The Haunting (the original), The Shining, Frequency, pretty much classic horror fare.

Communications Coordinator at EUCantina.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:47 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

Yeah, er, mine's The Human Centipede *snorts*
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:38 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Depends on what you call a horror movie. I quite like Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street and Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978) but I don't think either are technically horror movies.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:44 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Reepicheep wrote:
Depends on what you call a horror movie. I quite like Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street and Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978) but I don't think either are technically horror movies.

EH, sci-fi horror is its own genre now

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:12 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

The Shining (Jack Nicholson version) is probably my favorite. I don't as a rule like horror movies.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:00 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I'm having difficulty coming up with a favorite horror movie, and I'm really hard pressed to think of any that I'm overly fond of except perhaps Alien. John Carpenter's "Apocalypse trilogy" of The Thing, Prince of Darkness, and In the Mouth of Madness are all pretty good, actually.

I'm a fan of HP Lovecraft but no films have really done his writing credit, save perhaps In the Mouth of Madness. Also Hayden Christensen was in it when he was like 10.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:23 pm Reply with quote  

@Reep: both of those qualify as horror.

@Crash: I'm a pretty big fan of In The Mouth of Madness. I've always liked Sam Neil's acting and with a Lovecraft story on top of it, that was a neat movie. I'm surprised they don't do more Lovecraft movies. Hollywood wastes their time with all these remakes when Lovecraft has dozens of stories they could utilize.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:32 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

The original Halloween by John Carpenter, The Shining, and The Lost Boys a more 'fun' Horror movie.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:55 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Darth Skuldren wrote:
@Reep: both of those qualify as horror.

Awesome! Very Happy

Now I just have to think of which I like better...

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:19 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Speaking of zombies, I like Tom Savini's remake of Night of the Living Dead. The original is too old fashioned for me I guess, and the zombies ("ghouls") are too removed from what's become stereotypical from Romero's films. I also like the original and remake of Dawn of the Dead.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:03 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I think "Sweeney" is my favourite movie of the two but I think "Invasion" is my favourite horror movie. "Sweeney" could drop the blood and my opinion of it wouldn't change that much but "Invasion" wouldn't be the same without the horror elements.
Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:27 am Reply with quote  

I've never seen the whole movie Invasion of the Body Snatchers. I need to watch it sometime. I like Donald Sutherland.

And I happen to like the first Night of the Living Dead. It's a classic and I thought it worked pretty well for opening the door to zombie films.

The Shinning was definitely a creepy movie. The two little girls in the hallway always gives me the creeps and I had an event in real life that made that one of the scariest moments in my life.

That said, The Exorcist is the scariest movie I've ever seen. I cannot watch the film without having nightmares.

Halloween is one of the best slasher films I think. It has the classic slasher element of a masked bad guy stabbing and killing teens, but it also has a story and some character development to it. Very well done film.

I haven't seen The Lost Boys since I was a kid. I do have it on dvd though. Just haven't watched it. Might have to do that this weekend.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina

Page 1 of 2