Abeloth
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Characters of the Expanded Universe View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 11:29 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I like the slavery subplot. I think it's high time the whole issue of slavery in the galaxy was address. I just don't think they needed to get all one-dimensional about Abeloth because they threw in the slavery subplot.

This is a lot of what has irritated me about Del Rey's management since NJO: the sloppy plotting/writing. They gave us a great standard to go by with NJO and have not lived up to that since.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 10:46 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Wasn't the slavery plot point first introduced in earlier books, just not focused on? They still mentioned Freedom Flight when Abeloth was the big threat for Luke. While I've already stated I'm not a fan of Abeloth, I don't think one has anything to do with the other nor do I think it's an example of bad plotting. They just have several plot points moving at once. Just because one had more focus in one book then the others doesn't mean it's replacing the other. If anything the subplot about the trial got the least movement in the last book.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 11:54 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Werehunter wrote:
Wasn't the slavery plot point first introduced in earlier books, just not focused on? They still mentioned Freedom Flight when Abeloth was the big threat for Luke. While I've already stated I'm not a fan of Abeloth, I don't think one has anything to do with the other nor do I think it's an example of bad plotting. They just have several plot points moving at once. Just because one had more focus in one book then the others doesn't mean it's replacing the other. If anything the subplot about the trial got the least movement in the last book.

This is true.

-YOU REBEL SCUM!
-Through victory my chains are broken.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:25 am Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

From whar I read about the font of power and such, perhaps abeloth is a dark side nexus that as acquired sentience or that infused with simething else.
An interesting but totally wild and proabably wrong theory is that since the celestial people disappeared it could have been that abeloth unleaded a type of thought bomb that affected the celestials and she absorbed them like that. Her abilities seem very much like what a thought bomb can do. Or it is simply evil incarnate. The original dark side. Papatine must have known about it too which explains the maw station. Or abeloth could have been a "living" planet like zonama sekot. Which cexplain the ability to project her visage anywhere. Another radical idea comes from the clone wars episode with the 3 force users the father daughter and son. Each representing each part of the force. She could belong to that group. The mother of he two children? Not likely but that world was like abeloth planet. Feel free to add to this or counter argue .

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:00 am Reply with quote  

They're all actually pretty good ideas. I have no clue what Denning is going to do with her. Personally I prefer the Zonama Sekot idea. Either that, or she's an insane Celestial.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:45 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Another idea that I came across is that she could be an actual thought bomb that became infused with darkside energy. If she has more bodies than Luke can kill, and the fact it hurts her so badly when one is ripped from her could prove it. But since ship doesn't like to answer to her wouldn't that prove she isn't sith, but created by a darkside energy or such?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:09 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I'd say she's definitely not Sith; she has no respect for them. You're right that Ship doesn't like answering to her, but he can't resist because she's too strong.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:26 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I have just read Ascension and it was my favourite book of the series.

For me there are too many plots going at once. Can get a bit confusing at times.

Abeloth could be a darkside creation. Love how she was in disguise for most of the book but I guessed long before the reveal.

Whats her true form though? She reminds me a bit of the creature in Stephen Kings It who could become different forms but her true form was a giant spider. Or thats how It was killed. Pennywise the clown was just a manifestation of It.

I hope Abeloth becomes a Sith Lady and fights Luke.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:49 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Unlikely.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:51 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

grayJeedai08 wrote:
Unlikely.

Yes you are right but I hope it does happen. I can dream Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:34 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

i think Abeloth is a Celestial gone DS. It's going to really tuff to get rid of her. Luke will probably need help from the LS Celestials to take her out.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:01 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

I think my jaw would drop if we see Abeloth in Dawn of the Jedi.

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-To become a Jedi, it is not the Force one must learn to control but oneself.
-
-Podcasts: Star Wars Beyond the Films, The Star Wars Report, & EUCast

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:05 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Cerrinea wrote:
I like the slavery subplot. I think it's high time the whole issue of slavery in the galaxy was address. I just don't think they needed to get all one-dimensional about Abeloth because they threw in the slavery subplot.

This is a lot of what has irritated me about Del Rey's management since NJO: the sloppy plotting/writing. They gave us a great standard to go by with NJO and have not lived up to that since.

OH SOOOO Agreed! With the NJO people carry on about how long it was but it was nothing more then a WELL THOUGHT AND PLOTTED OUT series of stand alone, doulogies and trilogies, it proved that fans clamor for a story that flows.

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-To become a Jedi, it is not the Force one must learn to control but oneself.
-
-Podcasts: Star Wars Beyond the Films, The Star Wars Report, & EUCast

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:07 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Hey IR2! Long time no speak. Dawn of the Jedi?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:05 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Dawn of the Jedi: new Dark Horse comic series coming out next year. February, I think.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Characters of the Expanded Universe

Page 5 of 8