Star Wars: The Old Republic MMO Discussion
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 37, 38, 39  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Gaming View previous topic :: View next topic  
Star Wars: The Old Republic MMO Discussion
 PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:08 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Well, it's been confirmed and now we have three tidbits to go with it:

Lucasarts is hiring MMO testers, Lucasfilm registered "The Old Republic," and Bioware bought "SWTOR.com."

Your thoughts?Expectations? Hopes? Anything for this MMO

New to the forums? Introduce yourself in the Spaceport!

Need help? Please feel free to post in Feedback & Suggestions

Last edited by MasterAndrew15 on Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:07 am Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

I'm still wating to see a bit more about the era. If it's to replace KotOR 3 (on RPG) I won't be as happy but I'll reserve judgment. :D

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:29 am Reply with quote  

It probably won't matter much to me because I don't play MMO's. Though if this game becomes anything special, I might have to venture into the genre.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:28 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

I don't play MMOs, though I would like to. So I'm not sure what I think about it. Though if it replaces what could have been KOTOR 3, that could be sad. *shrugs* Will have to wait and see.

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:00 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Iron Fist wrote:
I'm still wating to see a bit more about the era. If it's to replace KotOR 3 (on RPG) I won't be as happy but I'll reserve judgment. :D

Well, to help both IF and Mara Jade, it's not going to replace Kotor 3; Lucasfilm took at a new name for it which means it's not part of the already known game series. It can be in the Kotor era, it can be in Bane's era because they took the name "The Old Republic." I have a felling it's Revan's era, not Bane's, but at this point, who knows.

Quote:
It probably won't matter much to me because I don't play MMO's. Though if this game becomes anything special, I might have to venture into the genre.

Many people don't because they feel it will take up too much time; don't let it. Yes, it's that simple. I play SWG but limit myself to an hour or two when I do play.

Because I have played MMOs before I'm excited for this, and I'm thinking that it may come to the PC and Xbox 360. DS , IF, and Mara have good attitudes though; don't judge the game before you know anything about it. Sure, I want a Kotor 3, but this in no way means it can't happen.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:36 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

For some reason, I was thinking it was called KotOR (not SWTOR) so this definitely changes things.

I desparately hope it comes to consoles as I don't have a PC that could run a decent or modern MMO. Of course, if it's PC only I may have to go find one.

Anway, I can't wait for an official annoucnemnt from Bioware or LucasArts. :D

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:44 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

As a PC owner I'm on the other hand personally afraid that it will be another Xbox-friendly MMO, which would mean that there wouldn't be a truly open and unified world on a server....Wink

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:57 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Rouge77 wrote:
As a PC owner I'm on the other hand personally afraid that it will be another Xbox-friendly MMO, which would mean that there wouldn't be a truly open and unified world on a server....Wink

That's not true necessarily. Bioware never does this the normal way, and I doubt this will be different.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:25 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Bioware has done it with normal RPGs in the past. In KOTOR's PC version there was lots of loading and the game areas were rather smaller than normal in PC RPGs of the time as the game was originally done for Xbox. Considering how lately PC has been pretty much left in the role of a step-child as new SW games has been mostly done for just consoles, I personally do expect that there will be a console version of the KOTOR MMO too and that will set rather strong limits for the PC version.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:38 am Reply with quote  

My main thing against MMO's is having to pay a monthly fee to play.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:31 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

There are lots of "free" MMOs, but most of them that I have tried are awful. Then there is Guild Wars, where the game itself and additions have to be bought, but there are no monthly fees. But, I expect KOTOR MMO to have a monthly fee, as it's what all truly big MMOs - except Guild Wards - have.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:07 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Although it most likely will have a monthly fee, it may be dropped on the Xbox 360 version, provided there is one. You may just have to pay for the game and LIVE, which allows you to play all other online games. If that's the case, I might do it. Plus, all MMOs have free trials and I doubt this will be different.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:39 pm Reply with quote  

Well I'm going to guess it replaces Galaxies, which may or may not be a good thing (it might certainly lead to a dramatic drop in support for the older game at any rate). I don't play those sorts of games anyway so its of little concern to me one way or the other. It would be terrible if it replaces a KOTOR 3 though. I think I too will wait and reserve judgment once the project is further underway.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:15 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Quote:
Well I'm going to guess it replaces Galaxies, which may or may not be a good thing (it might certainly lead to a dramatic drop in support for the older game at any rate

It probably will replace Galaxies or they will work together somehow.

Quote:
It would be terrible if it replaces a KOTOR 3 though.

It won't; Lucasarts is giving us a primer, I feel, and Kotor III will be made. They just want to test next-gen consoles and such.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:44 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Galaxies has been in a what seems like a terminal decline since the disliked chances few years ago. It has at the most 50 000 subscribers of the 250 000 it once had. It might die a "natural" death before KOTOR MMO is even launched sometime 2010-2011.

Page 1 of 39