The Politics Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 38, 39, 40  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Meditation Grove View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:37 pm Reply with quote  

Well they key is that you should vote. When you think about it a lot of the world's worst dictators would have been stopped (or at least stopped sooner) if people had taken a stand at the polls or failing that made a stand somewhere.

At least if you ask me people hating politicians is fine but if you don't vote to try to do something about it you don't really have a right to then complain.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:43 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Taral-DLOS wrote:
Life Is The Path wrote:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/10/11/domestic-violence-law-topeka-kansas_n_1006203.html Shocked

That's offensive. My God, what is the world coming to? Legalizing spousal rape in Afghanistan, and decriminalizing spousal abuse in Kansas?

What is the world coming to?

After receiving a lot of national press, Topeka is trying to remedy the situation:

http://www.kansascity.com/2011/10/13/3205186/officials-talk-workload-in-domestic.html#storylink=misearch

Communications Coordinator at EUCantina.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:58 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

That's a relief - not people losing their jobs but, well, you know what I mean. Thanks for this, DLE!
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

Life is like the Force - Luke Skywalker, Crucible. Damn straight I am.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:21 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Salaris Vorn wrote:
Well they key is that you should vote. When you think about it a lot of the world's worst dictators would have been stopped (or at least stopped sooner) if people had taken a stand at the polls or failing that made a stand somewhere.

Exactly. If an Adolf Hitler-type runs for Prime Minister, I'll vote for the specific reason to keep him out.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:02 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Life Is The Path wrote:
That's a relief - not people losing their jobs but, well, you know what I mean. Thanks for this, DLE!

No problem. My state always gets into the national headlines for Westboro Baptist Church, BTK, George Tiller's murder and stuff like this instead of all the good things that happen around here. If only freakin' awesome BBQ was newsworthy....

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:51 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Darth Skuldren wrote:
So, whether you're Republican or not, anyone got anything to say about the candidates? Personally I'm favoring Herman Cain. I like what he says, his answers in the debates and interviews, and the fact that he's not a career politician.

I like Herman Cain, but him supporting TARP and the Federal Reserve has really made me uncomfortable. I'm supporting Ron Paul as of right now. Very solid libertarian candidate.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:41 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Dancelittleewok wrote:
Life Is The Path wrote:

No problem. My state always gets into the national headlines for Westboro Baptist Church, BTK, George Tiller's murder and stuff like this instead of all the good things that happen around here. If only freakin' awesome BBQ was newsworthy....

I can understand that. News reporters run with the theory (which I feel they're not much wrong about) that people prefer reading about things going wrong, more than things going right. The more alarmist, sensationalist the story, the more people will buy the paper.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:50 am Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Jedi Joe wrote:
Darth Skuldren wrote:
So, whether you're Republican or not, anyone got anything to say about the candidates? Personally I'm favoring Herman Cain. I like what he says, his answers in the debates and interviews, and the fact that he's not a career politician.

I like Herman Cain, but him supporting TARP and the Federal Reserve has really made me uncomfortable. I'm supporting Ron Paul as of right now. Very solid libertarian candidate.

I'm convinced Herman Cain is fluent in the German language. Nien. Nien. Nien. Razz On a serious note, what do you like best about Ron Paul?

Life is the Path wrote:
I can understand that. News reporters run with the theory (which I feel they're not much wrong about) that people prefer reading about things going wrong, more than things going right. The more alarmist, sensationalist the story, the more people will buy the paper.

What stories do you think should be reported more in the UK? I don't know much about international news, but I'm interested to hear it. Smile

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:33 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

As with everywhere, I'm sure, celebrity news seems to take precedent over governmental news. I'd like to see more follow-up stories on how things progress around the world, like the eathquakes in NZ, the tsunamis in the Far East (most recently Thailand). On a level more closer to home, I'd like to see more detail on statistics for various laws. For instance, I've been following a debate (not in the UK) on legalising prostitution. I'd been wondering about our laws on that, but couldn't find them. I wouldn't mind a debate-of-the-week (or month) thing, which focuses on reports on what's happening around the country, as well as the laws in other countries. But I think you mean what positive stories I want to see more of in journalism?

The answer comes readily: the building up - or rebuilding - of the economy, and what strides we're taking in that direction, rather than focussing on the negative - of the possibility of a double dip. Focussing on attempts for starting up businesses rather than those closing down. Strides in medical research. That sort of thing.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:30 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Dancelittleewok wrote:
Jedi Joe wrote:

I'm convinced Herman Cain is fluent in the German language. Nien. Nien. Nien. Razz On a serious note, what do you like best about Ron Paul?

It's hard to really put a finger on what I like best about Paul, but I think it's his view on the federal government. The government really shouldn't be bailing out companies, granting marriages, providing healthcare, starting wars, etc. I also like how he wants to end the federal reserve and actually do something about our debt. I pretty much agree with him on almost everything except for his views on global warming.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:30 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Recently I've been hearing talk about increasing pay for firemen. So they took a pole, and then firemen started falling through a big hole in the floor.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:12 am Reply with quote  

Was there money at the bottom of the hole?

Sort of political. I was talking with one of my aunts whose a teacher in the north east. She says that everyone in their district right now is swamped and over capacity due to the No Child Left Behind Act. None of the teachers have the time for the extra mediation with students, and it's affecting all of them. The act itself isn't such a bad idea because it does work, but there's no money behind it to make it feasible. Seems like an issue that needs to be addressed.

Are there any candidates talking about the issue? I haven't heard anything lately.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:50 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

What exactly is the No Child Left Behind Act?

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:32 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

I don't know about you, but I'm lovin' the bromance between MSNBC pundit Lawrence O'Donnell and Former Republican Governor Tim Pawlenty.

Last edited by Dancelittleewok on Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:05 pm Reply with quote  

@Reep: The No Child Left Behind Act is a policy where schools are not allowed to flunk kids and make them repeat a school year, thus falling behind their peers. Instead, all teachers are required to spend extra time in mediation to help the kids that fall behind in order to improve their grades and help them pass their tests.

Spending the extra time with the kids works, but teachers already have a terrible burden, and no extra teachers are hired to help out with the mediation. Nor are the teacher paid any extra money for the extra time. Instead they are forced to work longer hours and they are not allowed to contact the parents to tell them that they need to spend extra time with their kids to help them pass. All of the burden falls on the teachers.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Meditation Grove

Page 4 of 40