Reboots
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Aush's EU Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:23 am Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Cerrinea wrote:
What I'd like to see is DNT and LOTF turned into Infinity stories and a start over from the end of NJO. And this time they could get it right. Like not have Jacen turn into the lamest Sith lord ever. Very Happy

Even if a reboot happens, fans are still going to remember Jacen Solo as Darth Cadeus. While some of his actions might have been lame but not all were (here's looking at you, Kashyyk), he will still remain the most controversial Sith due to the divisiveness.

I personally don't favor a reboot, but if it happens, it happens.

Communications Coordinator at EUCantina.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:30 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Taral-DLOS wrote:
lol could you imagine several separate series?

Amazing Star Wars
Spectacular Star Wars
Ultimate Star Wars
Uncanny Star Wars
Astonishing Star Wars
Incredible Star Wars

Star Wars: Noir
Star Wars: 2099
Star Wars: 1602

I could go on.

Oh Taral- you're probably the one fan who could find an answer to this!!!

Could you make a list of all the various comics that don't line up anymore? From Marvel to Dark Horse even if it's one element that no longer works- if a part of the story was shifted from G and C canon.

Cause each one is in a sense an alt universe anyway. Like the Marvel ones with Fett and Leia- that has to be re-imagined as a Clone and Padme to work now, or it's an alt universe.

We act like each canon doesn't act like a alt universe but in essence that's what we have. I bet if we lined up each comic that "doesn't fit" we'd have a lot more then the Marvel list you're putting up there. Granted I'd not want a bunch of alt universes if they did a Reboot- only the old EU and the new GL Signature series. Any more would just need to be infinities IMO.

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-To become a Jedi, it is not the Force one must learn to control but oneself.
-
-Podcasts: Star Wars Beyond the Films, The Star Wars Report, & EUCast

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:31 am Reply with quote  

Well if everyone is throwing out ideas for a drastic change that could help serve as a good reboot point, how about the Ewoks eat Han and Luke, Leia becomes Jedi Queen of the Ewoks...

Bad idea? Laughing

If for some reason they do a reboot, still all wild conjecture, then I do think Taral has a point with something needs to server as a focal point for the change. I'm pretty sure Lucas would not reboot anything before ROTJ. The simple reason is that he's been playing in the prequel era so it already has his stamp. But ROTJ is a place he hasn't played around. If he was going to do a reboot, I'd see him doing something post-ROTJ.

The would leave him with Luke having to rebuild the Jedi Order, Han and Leia's relationship, Palpatine clones, Thrawn, and whether Fett is going to stay dead in the Sarlacc. Would he retell a story or make his own? Who knows.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:40 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

illogicalRogue2 wrote:
Taral-DLOS wrote:
lol could you imagine several separate series?

Amazing Star Wars
Spectacular Star Wars
Ultimate Star Wars
Uncanny Star Wars
Astonishing Star Wars
Incredible Star Wars

Star Wars: Noir
Star Wars: 2099
Star Wars: 1602

I could go on.

Oh Taral- you're probably the one fan who could find an answer to this!!!

Could you make a list of all the various comics that don't line up anymore? From Marvel to Dark Horse even if it's one element that no longer works- if a part of the story was shifted from G and C canon.

Cause each one is in a sense an alt universe anyway. Like the Marvel ones with Fett and Leia- that has to be re-imagined as a Clone and Padme to work now, or it's an alt universe.

We act like each canon doesn't act like a alt universe but in essence that's what we have. I bet if we lined up each comic that "doesn't fit" we'd have a lot more then the Marvel list you're putting up there. Granted I'd not want a bunch of alt universes if they did a Reboot- only the old EU and the new GL Signature series. Any more would just need to be infinities IMO.

That's a good question!

I smell a column post coming!! Which is good, cause I've been really behind on those.

There's a bunch of post-ROTJ stuff that doesn't quite work anymore too, like the dates of the Clone Wars, the combatants of the Clone Wars, Jedi traditions (being able to marry and have kids, for example), etc.

-Sparks Nevada, Marshal on Mars

"Who cares what evil lurks in the hearts of men!"
"Unless evil's carrying the Martini tray, darling."
-Frank and Sadie Doyle

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:28 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Taral-DLOS wrote:

That's a good question!

I smell a column post coming!! Which is good, cause I've been really behind on those.

There's a bunch of post-ROTJ stuff that doesn't quite work anymore too, like the dates of the Clone Wars, the combatants of the Clone Wars, Jedi traditions (being able to marry and have kids, for example), etc.

Precisely! And as George works in the GFFA things may get bumped again- each bump causes events to slide from the official timeline and into a alternate Universe. The events still happened, they just didn't happen in George's signature series universe.

I'm betting if looked at in this way we'd learn that George's work has moved SW+SWEU into a place where alternate Universes were the only solution, and we've just been treating them as "Canon Levels" to cope with it. Laughing

T'would be a great article Wink

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:38 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Quote:
Quote:

That's a good question!

I'd like to see this too. I hope to start getting the comics soon, and if there's some that don't exactly fit in, I may just skip them if I can. The Clone Wars references in the post ROTJ stuff wouldn't be too bad if TPTB and the authors could change them in the books themselves. I mean, the authors shouldn't have to rewrite the entire book. For example, the "years of the Emperor, forty-four" reference in Dark Force Rising. All that has to be done there is replace "forty-four" with "twenty-nine" since the Honoghr disaster has now been confirmed to take place in 20 BBY.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:47 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Alan Skywalker V wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

That's a good question!

I'd like to see this too. I hope to start getting the comics soon, and if there's some that don't exactly fit in, I may just skip them if I can. The Clone Wars references in the post ROTJ stuff wouldn't be too bad if TPTB and the authors could change them in the books themselves. I mean, the authors shouldn't have to rewrite the entire book. For example, the "years of the Emperor, forty-four" reference in Dark Force Rising. All that has to be done there is replace "forty-four" with "twenty-nine" since the Honoghr disaster has now been confirmed to take place in 20 BBY.

That suggestion there is precisely why I want to see an Essential Guide to Understanding Chronology or as I like to call it The Essential Guide to Understanding the Chronology of George's ever changing Vision. Laughing

But seriously- an Online Essential Guide- one that can be changed as the man changes his vision as he goes- so as to never be out of date. You'd open the chapter on Heir to the Empire and it'd have all the parts of the story that don't work- as well as the retcon that made it work again.

-
-

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:49 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

It would be great but unfortunately it wouldn't work with everything because some things haven't been set in stone.

The Hal Horn issue, for one. Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:57 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Alan Skywalker V wrote:
It would be great but unfortunately it wouldn't work with everything because some things haven't been set in stone.

The Hal Horn issue, for one. Very Happy

Exactly why it'd NEED to be an online edition- there will always been things in the EU that haven't been gotten to yet, but as they are addressed they could be added to the Guide.

Cause all plot holes and loose ends get dealt with- some just take a lot longer then others.

-
-

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:45 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Quote:
The Essential Guide to Understanding the Chronology of George's ever changing Vision.

LOL. I think some fan should actually do that. I should get Skuldren onto that. He loves doing spread sheets and things of that nature. Very Happy

And that title is perfect.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:48 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

The Secret History of Star Wars goes into detail how the narrative evolved from the mid-70s until 2005. There were substantial changes in the story even from Star Wars to The Empire Strikes Back, which are somewhat evident upon reading Alan Dean Foster's novelization of the former.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:54 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

From the Suvudu Interview with LucasBooks' Senior Editor Jennifer Heddle:

Quote:
7 What are your thoughts on a partial or full “reboot” of the EU?

Personally? I think that if DC and Marvel can do it, then so can we. And I like alternate history stories. But that’s something that ultimately is not my decision.

Jennifer later tweeted:

Quote:
Should probably underscore opinions in my Suvudu interview are purely my own & should not be taken as indicators of anything, anywhere. Wink

And:

Quote:
Also probably relevant that I gave the interview BEFORE the Random House & Dark Horse meetings. So really, don't read into anything.

What are your thoughts?

Communications Coordinator at EUCantina.

Last edited by Dancelittleewok on Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:46 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

If it's not her decision, then to whom does it fall?

Anyhoo, I've said this many a time, I'm not in favour of a reboot. I love this timeline too much, and I feel things will just get too messy, if we had 'alternate histories'. It's already confusing enough with the earlier comics. (I even had my Diver's Suit analogy quoted back to me the other day. The guy couldn't believe I was the one that came up with it! Laughing )
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it (or even read all of it). These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:09 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I'm totally against a reboot and, by the looks of it, I don't think we'll get it.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:53 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Life Is The Path wrote:
If it's not her decision, then to whom does it fall?

Ultimately, George Lucas. This is one decision that would definitely have to go to the top.

I find it very interesting that the new Lucas Books editor made that comment. I also find it interesting that Apocalypse was pushed back from this winter to next spring and that Denning has just sent in his fourth draft.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Aush's EU Cantina

Page 5 of 6