A Movie Scavenger Hunt - Are You In?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:43 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I'm in!

“No. I am Ganner. This threshold is mine. I claim it for my own. Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don’t give a damn. None shall pass.”

“Eventually, we all betray something, Tahiri. It’s what you stay true to that counts.”

"Shaken, not stirred, will get you cold water with a dash of gin and dry vermouth. The reason you stir it with a special spoon is so not to chip the ice. James is ordering a weak martini and being snooty about it."

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:26 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Life Is The Path wrote:
I remember it. I'm still in - though I'm a little hazy on the rules. How do you determine how you put it in a slot? Do you give it a rating?

You just watch the movie! Like the example shows, there will be predetermined "themes" (500 of them, to be precise). Things like, "Zombies" or "Oscar Winner: Best Picture." If you watch a film that qualifies, you get to decide which theme to place it in. No ratings or dates are required (though I imagine I'll date my list), but you're really free to add your own personal touch to the list.

Quote:
Are we given topics which we have to find? Like we'd be told "watch a movie directed by Tim Burton" or "watch a movie with Daniel Craig as supporting actor"? Then fill it in when we watch one that fits the criteria?

The actual list of themes will be posted next month, so you'll have some time before the scavenger hunt actually starts. You get all 500 themes at once, so when you watch something that fits in (i.e. "World War II" or "Ninjas"), just place the movie in your list as the example shows.

Quote:
I am down as well. But ya a little hazy on the rules - does where you place a movie on your list matter? is there a max #??

Where you place a movie does NOT matter. There's a total of 500 themes, though, and it's pretty unlikely that anyone will actually complete the list. It's just for fun. Let's say you watch Saving Private Ryan, and decide to list the movie in the "World War II" category. A few months down the line, you watch another WWII movie and can't think of a better category to place it in then "World War II," but that's already taken. You can always edit your post and move Saving Private Ryan to a different category that is open, like "Death by: Gun."

Quote:
I think it should be like Where's Wally or one of those kiddie puzzle books. Zero gives us a bunch of movie criterias we have to find (horror, sci-fi, romcom etc.), or we have to find things in movies ("famous actor cameos" etc), then tick them of with the name of the movie in our list/table/whatever. Whoever finishes their list first wins.

This literally sounds EXACTLY like what I'm proposing. So yes, you're on the right track! The only thing is that all these different categories will be posted at once. And to be honest, the first (and maybe ALL) of the movies you watch will easily be able to fit into multiple categories. You can only place a movie in one category, but like I said, you can always swap if need be.

Any other questions, or did that clear it up?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:49 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Ydp, crystal clear! I'm in!

You shall learn that history is an intricate weaving of many events. No one thing can be understood without the proper context.

The best techniques are passed on by the survivors.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:57 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

i too am crystal clear im also in.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:04 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I'd like to play too.

Quick question: are we keeping track of the films on our own computers, or on the forum?
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
-Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:45 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Taral-DLOS wrote:
I'd like to play too.

Quick question: are we keeping track of the films on our own computers, or on the forum?

What I figured is, when the time is appropriate, I'll create a new thread. Everyone playing gets one post, and just edits that post throughout the year (since EUCantina is cool and never lets the time to edit posts expire). Of course, if you'd rather keep track through a Google Spreadsheet or something, you're more than welcome to. Just makes it easier to keep track of if we're all posting in the forums.

Then we'll still have this thread, which can be for actual discussion of the game so that the thread with our movie count doesn't get clogged and hard for me to go through.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:29 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

Vile, I am, at last, understanding of what you propose (though it's a safe bet that I'll forget sometime soon Wink). Looking forward to it!
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:09 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

This makes perfect sense now. I am in. (And I may be able to round up an actual prize should anyone really win this.)

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:50 am Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

May I suggest reducing the amount of films we have to watch from 500 to something like 150, to make completing the hunt more feasable? Assuming we can only put a film in one slot...

You shall learn that history is an intricate weaving of many events. No one thing can be understood without the proper context.

The best techniques are passed on by the survivors.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:47 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

VileZero wrote:
Taral-DLOS wrote:
I'd like to play too.

What I figured is, when the time is appropriate, I'll create a new thread. Everyone playing gets one post, and just edits that post throughout the year (since EUCantina is cool and never lets the time to edit posts expire). Of course, if you'd rather keep track through a Google Spreadsheet or something, you're more than welcome to. Just makes it easier to keep track of if we're all posting in the forums.

Then we'll still have this thread, which can be for actual discussion of the game so that the thread with our movie count doesn't get clogged and hard for me to go through.

That's what I originally thought too. Just figured I'd ask.

DannikJerriko wrote:
May I suggest reducing the amount of films we have to watch from 500 to something like 150, to make completing the hunt more feasable? Assuming we can only put a film in one slot...

I don't think anyone's going to actually finish this scavenger hunt (after all, that's over 1 movie a day). By keeping it at 500, there will be a lot of fun variation. A lot of things to look for, and a lot of options to fill them. But no one will watch 500 movies in the year.

Another benefit is that the game will literally go from January 1, 2012 to December 31, 2012. Since no one will watch 500 films (while 150 is a theoretical possibility), the game won't end mid-way through the year cause someone "won".

I have two more quick questions:

1- Can we challenge other people? Like "Die Hard didn't have Zombies!"

2- Is there a rule for what constitutes a "film"? Example: Batman: Year One is only about an hour-long; Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog is 45 minutes. I would call both of these "films". Is the only real definition that it "isn't a TV show"?

How would made-for-TV-movies or miniseries-that-are-like-a-long-movie (the "Dune" with William Hurt, the "Pride and Prejudice" with Colin Firth)?

Thanks!
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
-Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:14 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Taral, it says in the rules that it's a runtime of about 50 minutes. Personally, I would have gone for one that's over an hour to an hour and thirty minutes long, but that's just me.

VileZero wrote:

THE RULES

2. This is for feature lenth films, no shorts, although documentaries count. A good rule of thumb for runtime is 50 minutes.

I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:46 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I get it. Sounds like fun. Smile

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:21 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Yeah, the reason I kept it at 500 is to really stretch the game out. Just like Taral suggested, with the problems that come with winning halfway through the year. Also, having 500 films allows for a MUCH wider selection of films. Narrowing it down to 150 would be too easy, trust me.

Quote:
1- Can we challenge other people? Like "Die Hard didn't have Zombies!"

Absolutely! Not that I'd assume anyone would cheat, given that this is all on the honor code anyway for what you actually watched, but yes - challenging a misplaced movie is definitely allowed.

Quote:
2- Is there a rule for what constitutes a "film"? Example: Batman: Year One is only about an hour-long; Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog is 45 minutes. I would call both of these "films". Is the only real definition that it "isn't a TV show"?

I kept the runtime at about 50 minutes because a lot of older, silent films are only about an hour long. I'd consider both of your suggestions to be perfectly acceptable, and even stuff like the Family Guy Star Wars specials would count, in my opinion. If you're debating whether or not a movie would count, I'd say err on the side of counting it. Or you could always post here and post the question to your fellow players to get their perspective!

Quote:
How would made-for-TV-movies or miniseries-that-are-like-a-long-movie (the "Dune" with William Hurt, the "Pride and Prejudice" with Colin Firth)?

They can both be used. A miniseries can be used too, but just keep in mind that you can only place it in one spot. You can't break it up, despite what the overall runtime might be - something to consider if you're really trying to win.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:09 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I've gone ahead and posted the "2012 Ultimate Movie Scavenger Hunt" thread, which will be stickied to the top of this forum for easy access.

The first post is the rules, along with the list of 500 categories. The second post is the leaderboard, which will be updated once the game actually starts on January 1, 2012.

If you plan on playing, just take a page from my book and make ONE post that just says "Reserved." Once the game starts, you can go back to your reserved post and edit it with your actual list. Keep all the discussion here in this thread, so the other thread stays clutter-free.

So yeah, now's a good time to check out the list! Make sure there aren't any double categories, or just ooh and ahh over how awesome that list I compiled is. Up to you! Wink

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:47 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I'm liking the list! Already, I can think of a lot of movies to fill those categories. I'm hoping I can squeeze in two movies a day (though that'd be only if I'm really lucky), but will settle for one a day. Should be easy enough for me. The only time I'd ever stopped and thought 'I've seen that category before' was with Holocaust (480ish), but that may have been an optical illusion.

It may be a good idea to include links to the imdb top 100 (I think the bottom 100 is also listed) as well as the AFI top 100 in the list post, so people who can't find it can access it.

Otherwise, loved it and looking forward to it!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina

Page 2 of 10