Log in to check your private messages
Reboots
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Aush's EU Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:29 pm Reply with quote  
Message
  illogicalRogue2
Administrator
Administrator

Joined: 01 Sep 2009
Posts: 2854
Location: ....last know presence was near the Tingel Arm..

Dancelittleewok wrote:
From the Suvudu Interview with LucasBooks' Senior Editor Jennifer Heddle:

Quote:
7 What are your thoughts on a partial or full “reboot” of the EU?

Personally? I think that if DC and Marvel can do it, then so can we. And I like alternate history stories. But that’s something that ultimately is not my decision.



Her thoughts mirror my own. I love Marvel's regular line ups, and there are some great stories in the Ultimate Universe that could never have happened had it not been for the alternate universe. In that sense it's not quite a reboot. But I'd be all for a GL Signature series of books to go along with my SWEU characters I already enjoy.
_________________

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-To become a Jedi, it is not the Force one must learn to control but oneself.
-
-Podcasts: Star Wars Beyond the Films, The Star Wars Report, & EUCast


View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

 PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:50 am Reply with quote  
Message
  Crash Override
Master
Master

Joined: 22 Dec 2010
Posts: 1962

illogicalRogue2 wrote:
Her thoughts mirror my own. I love Marvel's regular line ups, and there are some great stories in the Ultimate Universe that could never have happened had it not been for the alternate universe. In that sense it's not quite a reboot. But I'd be all for a GL Signature series of books to go along with my SWEU characters I already enjoy.


I have a fairly long-winded question for people that have this mindset:

Let's say hypothetically they do this GL Signature series, as IR2 calls it, but keep publishing what is currently in print in addition to this new continuity. But when Apocalypse is published, they come out and say:

"Apocalypse is going to be the last 'Big 3' story written in the Expanded Universe and all future stories about the 'Big 3' are going to be set in the 'GL Signature' series. Additionally, there won't be any new ongoing comic series or novel stories set in the Expanded Universe, i.e. novels like SWTOR tie-ins, the sequel to Riptide, and the currently ongoing comics such as Knight Errant will continue to be published to conclusion, but no new series are going to be created within the old continuity."

Would this bother you? Why?

My way of looking at it is, first, the Big 3 aspect of it is a good thing because as it stands, I don't see there being a whole lot of Big 3 stories in the future, so this guarantees more stories about Han, Luke, and Leia than I would get if the current course continues. And from a personal standpoint the Big 3 is my primary draw and I am not a fan of the direction that their stories have gone as of late and welcome a reset on them.

As for new stories not involving the Big 3 also being put in the new continuity, I don't see the distinction. Let's say hypothetically that Stover is commissioned to write a Dark Times novel. It doesn't make any difference to me which continuity it is in, because the era itself is largely neutral to the continuity due to being in-between film trilogies.

It's true that a story like the Hutt novel, which precedes the NJO era, would be affected because the New Republic, New Jedi Order, and Legacy eras don't exist in the new continuity. But for existing storylines, like Kemp's Jaden Korr novels, they would continue to be published in the old continuity. So it's only limiting new stories that we have no attachment to already, so it's not like "Damn, that Wraith Squadron novel is being set in the new continuity!"

I know that certain people aren't fond of the idea that in a new continuity a character like Thrawn might not exist, but realistically speaking the character of Thrawn is a complete non-factor in any future (post-FOTJ) Big 3 novels published in the current continuity. And if Zahn wants to write a sequel to Choices of One that would be in the old continuity. Really, it provides an avenue for Thrawn to be brought back by Zahn and used differently, perhaps not dying.

An example would be The Walking Dead TV adaptation of the comic. A certain major character from the comic died relatively early on in it, but on the TV series this character has not died and is having new story arcs written about him. I think this is a good idea because I thought the character was killed way too soon in the comic and the result was that a whole plotline involving that character floundered completely until it was completely written out through another character death, resulting in the plotline just being a complete waste of time that went nowhere and had absolutely no effect on the other characters' development because they remained completely ignorant of it.

The TV show seems to be taking that same plotline, but it didn't kill off the character, so it will actually go somewhere hopefully.


View user's profile Send private message

 PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:47 am Reply with quote  
Message
  Cerrinea
Master
Master

Joined: 09 Jun 2009
Posts: 1491

Here's the problem with not using the Big Three in the current EU; Del Rey has to use them -- or at least use Luke. Del Rey has created a vacuum when it comes to leadership, and up and coming young Jedi knights. Two things Del Rey has made as apparent as possible without flashing a neon sign in our faces: the Council is mostly pretty ineffectual without Luke to lead them, and Ben is the Heir Apparent. Problem is, Ben is way too young and will be for some time to lead the Jedi Order. As I see it, Del Rey has written themselves into a corner.

A Signature Series might just highlight even more how much Del Rey has screwed things up.

Personally I think they should reboot at least back to the end of NJO, but maybe make NJO an AU series as well. While there are a lot of fans who like NJO, there are as many who don't and who stopped reading that part of the EU with Vector Prime.

If they do a drastic reboot back to the end of ROTJ, I could probably live with that as well. I'd hate to lose Zahn's contributions as well as Stackpole and Allston (Bantam), but I wouldn't cry any tears over most of the rest of the Bantam stuff.
_________________
Roqoo Depot co-founder.


View user's profile Send private message

 PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:13 pm Reply with quote  
Message
  Lord Ree'dius
Master
Master

Joined: 11 Apr 2011
Posts: 700
Location: The Unknown Regions

I would miss the EU we have here. I still love it and still think this universe has places to go. For me, I hope it will stick around for a while to come.
_________________
"Strong you are with the dark side, young one. But not that strong.
Still much to learn, you have. Surrender, you should."

"You're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."

http://www.reedius.deviantart.com/


View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website

 PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:47 am Reply with quote  
Message
  illogicalRogue2
Administrator
Administrator

Joined: 01 Sep 2009
Posts: 2854
Location: ....last know presence was near the Tingel Arm..

Crash Override wrote:
illogicalRogue2 wrote:
Her thoughts mirror my own. I love Marvel's regular line ups, and there are some great stories in the Ultimate Universe that could never have happened had it not been for the alternate universe. In that sense it's not quite a reboot. But I'd be all for a GL Signature series of books to go along with my SWEU characters I already enjoy.


I have a fairly long-winded question for people that have this mindset:

Let's say hypothetically they do this GL Signature series, as IR2 calls it, but keep publishing what is currently in print in addition to this new continuity. But when Apocalypse is published, they come out and say:

"Apocalypse is going to be the last 'Big 3' story written in the Expanded Universe and all future stories about the 'Big 3' are going to be set in the 'GL Signature' series. Additionally, there won't be any new ongoing comic series or novel stories set in the Expanded Universe, i.e. novels like SWTOR tie-ins, the sequel to Riptide, and the currently ongoing comics such as Knight Errant will continue to be published to conclusion, but no new series are going to be created within the old continuity."

Would this bother you? Why?


Hmmm 2 parts- if they chose to end Luke and co at Apocalypse I'd be sad, but ok. But if they ended the SWEU as it is in all forms I just don't see that happening. Too many IMO dig the Marvel / DC concept. If anything I could see it becoming like a second franchise in a sense. But I truly think they'd continue the original continuity as an alternate to the GL Signature Series.

But why if they "Ended the old continuity forever" why it'd bother me- cause these are the characters I have most enjoyed. If they did do this I and many older SWEU Fans might see this as their out, the clean break- collect everything before that and just enjoy the rest but stop obsessing. lol

But I know me- I'd get just as into the continued line too.

For me though it would make no sense to kill of the Old Continuity just to create a Alternate Signature Series one when both would sell.



Crash Override wrote:
My way of looking at it is, first, the Big 3 aspect of it is a good thing because as it stands, I don't see there being a whole lot of Big 3 stories in the future, so this guarantees more stories about Han, Luke, and Leia than I would get if the current course continues. And from a personal standpoint the Big 3 is my primary draw and I am not a fan of the direction that their stories have gone as of late and welcome a reset on them.


See I'd still hope for stories going forward if they ever said "Big 3 no more" to post FotJ, Ben, Jaina, Alana, etc.

But yeah I see what you mean.


Crash Override wrote:
As for new stories not involving the Big 3 also being put in the new continuity, I don't see the distinction. Let's say hypothetically that Stover is commissioned to write a Dark Times novel. It doesn't make any difference to me which continuity it is in, because the era itself is largely neutral to the continuity due to being in-between film trilogies.

It's true that a story like the Hutt novel, which precedes the NJO era, would be affected because the New Republic, New Jedi Order, and Legacy eras don't exist in the new continuity. But for existing storylines, like Kemp's Jaden Korr novels, they would continue to be published in the old continuity. So it's only limiting new stories that we have no attachment to already, so it's not like "Damn, that Wraith Squadron novel is being set in the new continuity!"


Yeah! That's what I was thinking too- and if GL approved the continued use of some parts of the old continuity THAT work- like say Tales of the Jedi- could exist in both universes timelines, while those timelines remain separate.

Crash Override wrote:
I know that certain people aren't fond of the idea that in a new continuity a character like Thrawn might not exist, but realistically speaking the character of Thrawn is a complete non-factor in any future (post-FOTJ) Big 3 novels published in the current continuity. And if Zahn wants to write a sequel to Choices of One that would be in the old continuity. Really, it provides an avenue for Thrawn to be brought back by Zahn and used differently, perhaps not dying.


And as I lean- I bet George would use Thrawn or approve of the character in the books. But even if he's not SOMEONE would fill that void.

But yeah if George approved Zahn to write in the GLSS and let him re write Thrawn, makes you wonder what a new Thrawn might be like...
_________________

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-To become a Jedi, it is not the Force one must learn to control but oneself.
-
-Podcasts: Star Wars Beyond the Films, The Star Wars Report, & EUCast


View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

 PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:58 am Reply with quote  
Message
  illogicalRogue2
Administrator
Administrator

Joined: 01 Sep 2009
Posts: 2854
Location: ....last know presence was near the Tingel Arm..

Cerrinea wrote:
Here's the problem with not using the Big Three in the current EU; Del Rey has to use them -- or at least use Luke. Del Rey has created a vacuum when it comes to leadership, and up and coming young Jedi knights. Two things Del Rey has made as apparent as possible without flashing a neon sign in our faces: the Council is mostly pretty ineffectual without Luke to lead them, and Ben is the Heir Apparent. Problem is, Ben is way too young and will be for some time to lead the Jedi Order. As I see it, Del Rey has written themselves into a corner.

A Signature Series might just highlight even more how much Del Rey has screwed things up.


It would. Especially is one sees ALL the various plots we've had as messed up. Granted there are a lot of things that rubbed me wrong in each series since NJO ended, but the end of the day until we see what George really means the attributes to the stories were just guessing in the dark. A GLSS would totally bring things to light. Look how long they had "Fades away after death" as a given.


Cerrinea wrote:

Personally I think they should reboot at least back to the end of NJO, but maybe make NJO an AU series as well. While there are a lot of fans who like NJO, there are as many who don't and who stopped reading that part of the EU with Vector Prime.

If they do a drastic reboot back to the end of ROTJ, I could probably live with that as well. I'd hate to lose Zahn's contributions as well as Stackpole and Allston (Bantam), but I wouldn't cry any tears over most of the rest of the Bantam stuff.


I'd rather if they "turned the dial back" as you're pointing at that it go to RotJ then say right before VP mainly cause of the different things that have changed that don't line up in so many Bantam books.

But it does beg the question- would there even be a Post RotJ in the GLSS? He HAS stated that he had no interest, would giving him control of his GLSS change his mind about Luke, Leia, and Han?

That's why I hope that they write more "Back fill" novels, Stories of Anakin Solo and Jacen and Jaina, and other Jedi in between the long gaps in older published novels, like they do with Luke- like Shadows of Mindor.
_________________

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-To become a Jedi, it is not the Force one must learn to control but oneself.
-
-Podcasts: Star Wars Beyond the Films, The Star Wars Report, & EUCast


View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

 PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:31 am Reply with quote  
Message
  Crash Override
Master
Master

Joined: 22 Dec 2010
Posts: 1962

I don't think that a Shadows of Mindor/Tatooine Ghost/Survivor's Quest type novel would work for either Anakin Solo or Jacen Solo. When all the named novels were written for Luke, Leia, and Mara, respectively, none of those characters were dead, so their fates were still open, and so there was some investment in the character.

Even so, I think it's plausible to have investment in a character, for instance Jacen Solo in the NJO for me, but the way that LOTF completely derailed his character and in the process undermined the NJO both thematically and in terms of Jacen's character growth, I've pretty much lost interest in revisiting the character as I liked him, because what follows completely ruins it. Especially since any such novel would be set between NJO and Dark Nest and would be obligated to explain the derailment, which I don't even think is possible given that they replaced his character wholesale with another.

As for Anakin Solo, I think they basically went all out in terms of building him up as a character prior to his death, so I don't see what more there is there to do.


View user's profile Send private message

 PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:55 pm Reply with quote  
Message
  illogicalRogue2
Administrator
Administrator

Joined: 01 Sep 2009
Posts: 2854
Location: ....last know presence was near the Tingel Arm..

Crash Override wrote:
I don't think that a Shadows of Mindor/Tatooine Ghost/Survivor's Quest type novel would work for either Anakin Solo or Jacen Solo. When all the named novels were written for Luke, Leia, and Mara, respectively, none of those characters were dead, so their fates were still open, and so there was some investment in the character.

Even so, I think it's plausible to have investment in a character, for instance Jacen Solo in the NJO for me, but the way that LOTF completely derailed his character and in the process undermined the NJO both thematically and in terms of Jacen's character growth, I've pretty much lost interest in revisiting the character as I liked him, because what follows completely ruins it. Especially since any such novel would be set between NJO and Dark Nest and would be obligated to explain the derailment, which I don't even think is possible given that they replaced his character wholesale with another.

As for Anakin Solo, I think they basically went all out in terms of building him up as a character prior to his death, so I don't see what more there is there to do.


I was thinking more (in terms of the Solo kids) before the JJK and YJK series. IIRC- Young Jedi Knights established that Jacen and Jaina had already been attending the Academy before the series we read about. Their younger years are still rife with places that a tale could be squeezed in. Jacen- they COULD always do a book set in the 5 year gap- (in light of the possibility that FotJ could end with no real resolution to Jacen's plot)

But I really think about characters like Corran Horn, Ganner Rhysode, Kyp and so forth- there are a LOT of characters they could feature in books set in those same characters pasts. Much like Mindor and Choices of One for both Luke and Mara. If that makes sense. (like how CoO was written after Mara's death yet set while she was still alive- I see little to no reason NOT to do this with popular EU characters- and the MOST popular to the majority are the Solo boys who have already past. I think there's merit here)
_________________

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-To become a Jedi, it is not the Force one must learn to control but oneself.
-
-Podcasts: Star Wars Beyond the Films, The Star Wars Report, & EUCast


View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Aush's EU Cantina

Page 6 of 6
All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Display posts from previous:

  

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group
Jedi Knights 2 by Scott Stubblefield