Star Wars Trivia
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Aush's EU Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
Star Wars Trivia
 PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:31 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

This has probably be done so my apologies but how about a thread were people post interesting trivia about the movies that some fans may not know. The more obscure the better

Ill start

The Rebel Blockade Runner model seen at the start of ANH is much bigger then the star destroyer that followed it.

Darth Vaders mask had foam rubber on its inside to prevent Dave Prowses head from turning inside it. It kept his head secure inside it.

Peter Cushing had to wear slippers in his shots as the boots he had to wear were too small. There are few long shots of Peter in the movie if any. He also wore gloves between takes when he smoked so nicotine wouldnt get on his fingers

The original title of ROTJ was Revenge of the Jedi but was dropped as revenge is not the jedi way. It was reused for ROTS

The Millennium Falcon was based on a half eaten hamburger

Alec Guinness made more from SW then all of his other movies combined

He was unhappy at being killed off and nearly quit the film.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:17 am Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Regarding Alec Guinness, I had heard the opposite about him being unhappy at his death. That in fact, the death was his idea.

[quote="Alec Guinness biography on IMDB]Reportedly hated working on Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope (1977) so much, Guinness claims that Obi-Wan's death was his idea as a means to limit his involvement in the film. Guinness also claims to throw away all Star Wars related fan mail without even opening it.[/quote]

6 Classics Despised by the People who Created Them, by Cracked wrote:
In his autobiography, he mentions a small child coming up to him and saying that he'd seen Star Wars 100 times. Guinness replied that he'd give the kid an autograph if he promised to never watch the movie again and the boy burst into tears.When it came to Star Wars, Alec Guinness pretty much filled the role of a snooty British person. He called the movies "banal" and "mumbo-jumbo," and would throw out Star Wars-related fan mail unopened. Guinness also claimed that it was his idea to get Obi-Wan killed off because he wanted a smaller part. That's right, one of the most tragic and mentally scarring scenes from your childhood came about because Alec Guinness thought George Lucas was a talentless hack.

Trivia games are fun!

Did you know that the reason Lucas wrote the Wampa attack was because at the end of filming Episode IV, Mark Hamill got into a car crash that scarred his face pretty badly, so they needed to include a scene that gave him some good injuries?

Also (not Star Wars), did you know that the famous scene in Raiders of the Lost Ark, where Indy is confronted by a sword-wielding maniac and decides to just shoot him, was decided on the fly because Harrison Ford got really sick from the food they ate while filming in Tunisia? He wasn't up for filming a long sword-fight, so they thought "why not just shoot him?"
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
-Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:24 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Interesting.

I heard that too about Luke. He had an accident and that was why the Wampa scene was written in but I read recently that it was a myth. The scene was always supposed to be in the film.

Alec had mixed films about the movie. He wasnt big on sci fi but he wasnt liking any of the scripts but liked the SW script.

Ford got serious food poisoning while filming so he add libbed the scene where he just shoots the sword guy. He also ad libbed the line I know in Empire when Leia says I love you. It was supposed to be I love you too but Ford felt that wasnt Han.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:02 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

The C-3P0 suit didn't bend at the waist so Anthony Daniels couldn't sit down between takes. So there he was, in the hot Tunisian sun, wearing a metal suit, leaning against a board for rest and having a straw slid through the mask's mouth-hole so he wouldn't dehydrate. He deserves a medal.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:40 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

i once heard that david prowse got sacked half way through filming ROTJ because george lucas thought he told the press how the film ends.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:02 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

While filming Episode IV, Prowse would say the actual lines Darth Vader was supposed to say. If he flubbed the line, he would ask to re-do the take. It pissed the directors and producers off, because you couldn't see his face, and they were going to dub him, so it didn't matter if he said the wrong thing.
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:28 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

To stop the press from finding out the filming of Return of the Jedi George Lucas code named it Blue Harvest, Horror beyond imagination.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:38 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Lando in an early draft was going to be a clone from the Clone wars.

Harrison Ford expressed an interest that Solo should die in ROTJ but Lucas dismissed it.

Jack Purvis who played the chief jawa and chief Ugnaught had a double act with Kenny Baker.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:05 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

When filming the Endor scenes for Episode VI, Peter Mayhew wasn't allowed to go off set. The directors/producers felt he might be mistaken for the Sasquatch.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:15 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Apparently, in TESB Lucas got JEJ to say "Obi Wan killed killed your father" and only dubbed THAT line in during the final stages to reduce the risk of the press finding out.

You shall learn that history is an intricate weaving of many events. No one thing can be understood without the proper context.

The best techniques are passed on by the survivors.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:21 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

DannikJerriko wrote:
Apparently, in TESB Lucas got JEJ to say "Obi Wan killed killed your father" and only dubbed THAT line in during the final stages to reduce the risk of the press finding out.

Since Prowse usually said the lines initially, I heard he was the one to say Obi-Wan killed Luke's father. I don't know that James Earl Jones actually ever said it. But I could be mistaken.

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:53 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

It's in one of the documentaries. Actually what happened was right before the scene was filmed Mark Hamill was taken aside and told what the real line would be so he could react the right way. He was the only actor who knew what the real line was; not even Prowse knew.

Prowse said, "Obi-Wan killed your father."; not JEJ. The real line was dubbed in later because all of JEJ's lines were dubbed in later. Prowse did the dialogue for Vader during the actual filming.

So the real line was a big secret that only a few people knew before the movie was released.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:51 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Ah, yes. That is correct. It's in the Empire of Dreams documentary. Which is an excellent documentary, by the way. Easily watchable multiple times. Smile

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:06 am Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Oh, ok, that's right, I got a little mixed up.

You shall learn that history is an intricate weaving of many events. No one thing can be understood without the proper context.

The best techniques are passed on by the survivors.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:47 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Prowse had no idea Vader was Lukes father. While on set a massive fan was blowing to generate the wind. He was told to make a fist gesture but he could have said anything as you couldnt hear a thing. When he saw the movie Prowse said it was news to him that vader was lukes father while JEJ thought vader was lying.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Aush's EU Cantina

Page 1 of 5