Thrawn
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Characters of the Expanded Universe View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:45 am Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

After reading Outbound Flight, I suggest reading The Thrawn Trilogy first. Before you start on Choices of One, read Allegiance. Basically, nearly every Timothy Zahn novel features or references Thrawn.

Communications Coordinator at EUCantina.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:53 am Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Ok, what books are in the Thrawn trilogy? And Alleigence was one of the EU books I bought, and it's just been sitting on my shelf for a while.

You shall learn that history is an intricate weaving of many events. No one thing can be understood without the proper context.

The best techniques are passed on by the survivors.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:56 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

TTT consists of The Heir To The Empire; Dark Force Rising; and The Last Command.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:00 am Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Thanks, is this the one where the author got the Clone Wars wrong?

You shall learn that history is an intricate weaving of many events. No one thing can be understood without the proper context.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:04 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

A lot of authors got the Clone Wars wrong, but it is particularly obvious in this one, since dates play a key plot point in one of the story arcs. To be fair, it was before Lucas had made the prequels, and hadn't given out any information at all about that era, so it's understandable.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:08 am Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Does it cause the books to lose their integrity or not make sense?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:28 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I don't think it's enough to make the books lose their integrity, no. It's just slightly confusing. Maybe it would help if you knew the retcon beforehand?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:58 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

You'll hear a lot about Spaarti cylinders. These were retconned as being used by cloners other than the Kaminoans. Just read everything about clones as if it doesn't apply to Kamino and you should be fine.
“Actually, I don’t quite recall. But I was made, so the existence of my maker is beyond question. And since I consider my existence to be a good thing, he was without a doubt benevolent and forward thinking.”
~Allana Solo and C-3PO

Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:11 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

I read Heir to the Empire after Attack of the Clones, and still enjoyed it. The Thrawn Trilogy is really a perfect starting off point for the EU.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:55 am Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Thanks guys, I may request these for Christmas Razz

BTW This is my 100th post!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:15 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Despite the contradictions with the prequels the Heir To The Empire trilogy is to this fan essential reading.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:23 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

As much as I love Thrawn, does anyone but me feel like he was shoehorned into Choices of One? He was just sort of....there.

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:46 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I still need too get these books i no loads about thrawn thru the wookiepeedia page but still havent read the books.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:27 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Crash Override wrote:
Well, that's assuming that the planet is ruined. And even if it is, if he simply removed the droids that were poisoning it and replaced them with droids that legitimately tried to restore the flora, it would be a while before the lack of results is noted -- the Noghri didn't even notice the opposite when the Empire was poisoning the planet.

It seems like Thrawn does still demonstrate the Imperial chauvinism. The Noghri aren't Thrawn's equal so he's content to keep Palpatine's one-sided arrangement in place rather than do anything for their welfare.

The way Thrawn and Pellaeon treat the Noghri, not just to them but their general attitude toward them, is really callous and ruthless. Pellaeon wants to have Rukh killed just because Rukh annoys him by sneaking up on him. Thrawn makes the Noghri grovel at his feet.

And it's not just the Noghri. There's a stark contrast to the way that Denning wrote Thrawn in Tatooine Ghost where he's incognito as a stormtrooper commander re-educating his troops, and the way he's actually depicted in Heir to the Empire. In the former, a stormtrooper threatens someone that they're questioning, so Thrawn smashes his rifle stock over the stormtrooper's head and asks him if he feels like helping Thrawn now.

Yet in Heir to the Empire, Thrawn is on Wayland seeking the guardian of Mount Tantiss, and when someone fires an arrow at Thrawn, he has the building the perpetrator was in leveled, then demands to be taken to the guardian. It definitely seems like Thrawn is a lot less diplomatic with those he deems inferior, whether it be low-tech humans on Wayland or Noghri.

Going back to IR2's desire to see a clone of Thrawn, I wouldn't be surprised to see the ruthless Thrawn in the trilogy to be explained as a ruthless clone, although I think that Crisis of Faith sort of goes against that.

Replying to your earlier post, I must concede part of the point, which is, yes, Thrawn was more evil in the Trilogy than in any later depictions. Concerning the Noghri, I am willing to admit that Thrawn did seem to look down on them at least somewhat, though not necessarily because of their ignorance of technology.

Your clone theory, however, I do not think likely, and I would hate for them to retcon his personality difference in that way. As I stated already, there is only one Thrawn. Cloning him, no matter how they did it, would only cheapen the character for me. I would think it more likely that the more time Thrawn spent in the Unknown Regions, the more he came to despise primitives who would worship anything that acted impressively. Both the Noghri and the Wayland natives would, in his mind, fit into that category. However, I believe that his last words are indicative of a new sense of respect for the Noghri after Ruhk's betrayal.
“Actually, I don’t quite recall. But I was made, so the existence of my maker is beyond question. And since I consider my existence to be a good thing, he was without a doubt benevolent and forward thinking.”
~Allana Solo and C-3PO

Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:43 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Thrawn was one of the greatest EU characters.

I think he should be left alone though. Otherwise his character mystery would be reduced.

I think he appeared in a Tales Of The New Republic story and he just didnt work.

Thrawn cant come back as a clone. It would ruin him, he wouldnt be the same.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Characters of the Expanded Universe

Page 2 of 2