Your least favorite EU novel?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:41 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Crash Override wrote:
I'm surprised that no one has said Ruins of Dantooine. That novel is so bad that you don't have to read it to know that it's bad.

I didn't even bother reading it - the back cover almost put me to sleep.

I also found the first Bounty Hunter Wars book hard to get through. I still haven't read the others, so I don't know if they are the same.

“No. I am Ganner. This threshold is mine. I claim it for my own. Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don’t give a damn. None shall pass.”

"Shaken, not stirred, will get you cold water with a dash of gin and dry vermouth. The reason you stir it with a special spoon is so not to chip the ice. James is ordering a weak martini and being snooty about it."

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:17 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

The Approaching Storm was crap and I never liked Rouge Planet.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:58 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I have three

Planet Of Twilight
Children Of The Jedi
The Crystal Star

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:52 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

The Crystal Star was fairly poor tbh, but at the time I quite liked it, there wasn't a whole heap of other Star Wars to choose from at the time. It's only looking back that it seems poor now (IMO)

The only book I've really struggled to actually read was Bloodlines from the LotF series. Now, I quite like Traviss (despite what a lot of people think of her), I loved the Republic Commando series. But the whole Fett thing just felt so out of place in Bloodlines, and I just didn't care enough. I still read the book, but its the only one I've ever really struggled with and had to force myself to finish. I still don't really understand the whole Jaina getting trained by the Mando's in LotF as it is, it just made no sense whatsoever, but I digress.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:58 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I think the Madalorian training would have made sense if Denning had made the epic end fight with Jacen last more than five seconds. The whole fight where Jacen thought Jaina was Luke had a lot of potential, and I thought Denning would build on it for the final battle, but honestly, after reading it, I got the distinct impression that he ran out of time to finish the book. The second half felt very rushed, and there were several possibilities that weren't developed, like the shatterpoints.

My least favorite books, without question, are the Lando trilogy, mainly because they felt like someone had written a generic sci-fi book and changed the main character's name to Lando. It seemed completely disconnected from the rest of the Star Wars universe. I mean, the Empire wasn't even mentioned, and it was always about him stumbling onto some weird life form that defied logic. But anyway.
“Actually, I don’t quite recall. But I was made, so the existence of my maker is beyond question. And since I consider my existence to be a good thing, he was without a doubt benevolent and forward thinking.”
~Allana Solo and C-3PO

Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:03 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

I forgot about the Lando books, I think my brain must have blocked the memory. Yeah, they were dreadful, not even good generic sci-fi, just poor books.

I guess it possibly was rushed or poor writing that was the problem, I just understand the need for "the sword of the Jedi" to get trained by the Mando's. Jacen is built up to through the series with his Force powers, not his saber technique. Even in earlier books, I don't ever recall him being particularly proficient at Lightsaber combat. If Jaina was going to get training to defeat him, I personally think it would have made more sense for her to find someone to train her how to counteract Jacen's Force powers (ya know, like Luke Skywalker perhaps?)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:15 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

The Mandalorian training made no sense because of the reasons Traviss gave for it.

Warriors who were hard to sense in the Force (don't know where that came from but I guess at least in Revelation Mandos were hard to sense in the Force).

Warriors who wore near-invincible armor.

Warriors with special weapons.

Jaina had already faced warriors exactly like that in NJO. As for the battle rage or red mist, exactly what benefit would a Jedi gain acquiring that? It would much more likely turn them to the dark side.

Darth Dov is right. Training to fight Jacen in combat made no sense. Counteracting his Force techniques did. The whole Mando training was thrown in so Traviss could write more of her Mando Gary Stus.

Thankfully the Mandos have reverted to being their normal badass selves.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:16 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

The Mandalorians could be removed from LOTF and it wouldn't skip a beat.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:10 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

My worst EU book so far would definately b the bounty hunters book, i just couldnt get into it at all.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:30 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

I found those interesting, and a little whacky, but not too hard to read. Defintiely worst books would be the Lando books, by a mile. They don't even belong in the Universe. Children of the Jedi was more of a Star Wars book than the Lando books could ever hope to be.

That said, some runners-up would be The Approaching Storm and the third Jax Pavan novel. I've even blocked the title from my memory. I don't know that it was that horrible, but it definitely wasn't that good. Confused

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:27 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Patterns of Force was the third Jax Pavan novel, I didn't think it was that bad, wasn't particularly great, but wasn't bad either. You'll be delighted to know there's gonna be a fourth one, called The Last Jedi Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:14 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Actually that's not the name anymore. There's no new name yet, but The Last Jedi has been nixed for a title.

Michael Reaves is writing the 4th novel with Maya Bohnhoff.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:48 am Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Del Rey requested "Last of the Jedi" not be used in an upcoming interview with Maya Kaathryn Bohnhoff. I look forward to knowing what the forthcoming Coruscant Nights official title is. It depends if "Last of the Jedi" is officially confirmed or not.

Communications Coordinator at EUCantina.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:45 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Dancelittleewok wrote:
Del Rey requested "Last of the Jedi" not be used in an upcoming interview with Maya Kaathryn Bohnhoff.

Because *gasp* Jax Pavan is not the last Jedi! Not even close. Rolling Eyes

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:54 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

And Last of the Jedi was a YA series written by Jude Watson. It's a bit too confusing to also have a book title The Last Jedi..

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 3 of 12