The Essential Guide to Warfare
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:38 pm Reply with quote  

Written by Jason Fry and Paul R. Urquhart
Synopsis: THE DEFINITIVE GUIDE TO THE ULTIMATE INTERGALACTIC BATTLEFIELD

Like many a great epic, Star Wars is rooted in a rich history of armed conflict. Now, for the first time, the facts, figures, and fascinating backstories of major clashes and combatants in the vast Star Wars universe have been documented in one fully illustrated volume. Extensively researched and inventively written, Star Wars: The Essential Guide to Warfare combines action-filled narrative with encyclopedic knowledge that:

• explores notable military units and groups
• traces the development of significant armaments and technologies
• profiles key warship classes, ground units, and manufacturers
• provides capsule biographies of great military leaders
• presents eyewitness troopers’ accounts of combat
• plus—enough additional profiles, intel, history, and lore to span the cosmos!

Encompassing all of the Star Wars media, including the legendary films, the hit TV series Star Wars: The Clone Wars, the bestselling books, comics, and videogames, and packed with original full-color artwork, Star Wars: The Essential Guide to Warfare is a conquering achievement.

Release Date: May 22, 2012

Star Wars Books has created a Facebook album for art from the upcoming book. Some pretty cool images. You can check them out here.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:49 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Is this the one Traviss was supposed to be doing (was gonne be Military rather than Warfare)? I wondered what had happened to it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:18 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Looks cool. Cool

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:29 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

DarthDov wrote:
Is this the one Traviss was supposed to be doing (was gonne be Military rather than Warfare)? I wondered what had happened to it.

Yes, this was Traviss's Essential Guide to the Military. There has been a lot of discussion on it in the Jedi Council Forums on theforce.net. Jason Fry's been liaising a lot with fans there.
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
-Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:02 am Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Ah, cool, shall check out what they've been saying over there. I like the essential guides, and was particularly looking forward to this one. The Rakatan/Killik image looks awesome Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:25 pm Reply with quote  

Del Rey added some more images to their photo album.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150411766083713.378495.67519418712&type=1

There's some interesting stuff in the comments section too.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:35 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Cool images. Good to see we're getting examples of things we've never seen before other than eferences in books.

Looking forward to this one.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:44 pm Reply with quote  

One of the Del Rey editors tweeted today that artist Chris Scalf will be drawing a Shell Hutt for the book. Obviously I'm excited. Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:12 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

The official blurb from Random House:

Quote:
THE DEFINITIVE GUIDE TO THE ULTIMATE INTERGALACTIC BATTLEFIELD

Like many a great epic, Star Wars is rooted in a rich history of armed conflict. Now, for the first time, the facts, figures, and fascinating backstories of major clashes and combatants in the vast Star Wars universe have been documented in one fully illustrated volume. Extensively researched and inventively written, Star Wars: The Essential Guide to Warfare combines action-filled narrative with encyclopedic knowledge that:

• explores notable military units and groups
• traces the development of significant armaments and technologies
• profiles key warship classes, ground units, and manufacturers
• provides capsule biographies of great military leaders
• presents eyewitness troopers’ accounts of combat
• plus—enough additional profiles, intel, history, and lore to span the cosmos!

Encompassing all of the Star Wars media, including the legendary films, the hit TV series Star Wars: The Clone Wars, the bestselling books, comics, and videogames, and packed with original full-color artwork, Star Wars: The Essential Guide to Warfare is a conquering achievement.

Communications Coordinator at EUCantina.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:46 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Sneak peek at artwork - http://io9.com/5889747/breathtaking-art-that-puts-the-wars-in-star-wars

Looks amazing! Genuinely stunning!

You shall learn that history is an intricate weaving of many events. No one thing can be understood without the proper context.

The best techniques are passed on by the survivors.

Last edited by DannikJerriko on Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:01 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

HOMICIDAL EWOKS!!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:28 pm Reply with quote  

New Ewok art always makes me happy. I'm really excited about this book. So far, all the art looks awesome. I hope the content is just as good.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:21 am Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

An EUCantina interview with The Essential Guide to Warfare author Jason Fry is coming out soon!

Communications Coordinator at EUCantina.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:18 pm Reply with quote  

Awesome! I've been especially interested in the acknowledgments page. There were some neat comments there.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:22 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I love the painting taken from the TIE pilot's POV.

"Vote for Papa Palpatine".

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 1 of 4