Star Wars Blu-ray
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Movie Saga View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:28 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

My wife and I started watching the blu-rays last night. Started with Episode IV (we were tired, so we watched about half; the other half will be tonight, I suspect).

A few quick thoughts:

-It looks pretty!
-Did they re-touch the background during the initial space battle between the Rebel Blockade Runner and the Star Destroyer? I don't remember Tatooine's moons.
-I like the new background for the Lars Family Garage, with Luke's broken T-16 in the back.
-Jabba looks cool. A lot more detailed.
-The rock in front of Artoo and Obi-Wan's new Krayt cry (that sounds more like a person) didn't mother me at all.
-Greedo still shoots first, but it looks much closer to being simultaneous. To me, that adds some bad-a**ery back to Han. He didn't necessarily shoot first, but he couldn't have been able to predict that he'd be shot. He shot without knowing that he'd be shot at.
-Has anyone else noticed any issues with the sound? Specifically, I feel that the volumes of the sound effects, music, and dialogue are a little bit off. Like, some scenes the music drowns out the FX, or the FX drowns out dialogue. Maybe it's me though.

I'm impressed with everything.

Oh! And my favourite Easter Egg is still there! Let me explain:

You have to be aware of this to see it, cause it's so subtle, but in the Death Star control room, when Obi-Wan ventures off to take care of the Tractor Beam, he says something like "Luke, you have to protect the droids, or other worlds will suffer the same fate as Alderaan." And he pushes the button to open the door.

When they filmed that, George would say "freeze!" and Alec Guiness would stand perfectly still while they slowly opened the door. In post-production, they'd remove every other frame, and so it would look like the door is opening really fast.

Alec Guiness did very well and stayed perfectly still. Except for one thing: he blinked. And when you blink, your eyes go from a tired-looking state to a more alert-looking state.

So all of a sudden, if you look really close, you see his eyes dart open during the shot.

And it's still in there!!!!

I was told about that little gaff at a Sci-Fi convention by Anthony Daniels. He was telling fun Star Wars stories and that was one of his favourites.
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
-Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:17 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Taral-DLOS wrote:

-The rock in front of Artoo didn't mother me at all.

I wasn't so much bothered by the added wall, but the lack of an eye for detail when they forget they added the wall to the next scene where R2 leaves the rock. It leaves me scratching my head pondering why add it and not commit to it in the entirety of the film? Same with the blue topped escape pod- why fix all the scenes save one? Just makes no sense.

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-To become a Jedi, it is not the Force one must learn to control but oneself.
-
-Podcasts: Star Wars Beyond the Films, The Star Wars Report, & EUCast

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:52 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I walked through the toy section at Wal-Mart the other day. I think they must have dug out all their left over TPM and ATOC merchandice that had sat in a back room for the last decade.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:56 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Tagging along on the hype, but you can hardly blame them.

"You're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."

http://www.reedius.deviantart.com/

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:37 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Great way to clean out inventory while making a buck.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:21 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Exactly. And God knows they need it in these times of economical crisis. Smile

"You're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."

http://www.reedius.deviantart.com/

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:55 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

In the scene in which the Corellian Star Shuttle brings Chancellor Palpatine and the Jedi High Council to Naboo, when they shot it Samuel L. Jackson was apparently unavailable, because on the blu-ray if you watch closely in the background they're using his stand-in as Mace Windu. He looks more like D. B. Woodside than Samuel L. Jackson to me.

Knowing the Expanded Universe, that wasn't actually Mace Windu but another Jedi that looks just like him and wears the same robes as him, just like Stass Allie, Sar Labooda, and Agen Kolar.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:03 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

You can see that guy in the DVD version also.

Taral-DLOS wrote:
-The rock in front of Artoo and Obi-Wan's new Krayt cry (that sounds more like a person) didn't mother me at all.

Rocks aren't usually known for their nurturing qualities.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 5:19 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Watching the Yoda vs Dooku fight from Attack of the Clones on blu-ray for the first time, I noticed another change. The chronology is slightly altered after the fight.

In the DVD cut (and, I presume, theatrical cut and so forth), after Yoda moves the pillar from over Anakin and Obi-Wan and drops it, it cuts to the exterior and the gunship with Padme and clone troopers arriving and shooting at Dooku's craft. Then it cuts to the interior, where Anakin regains consciousness and Yoda looks regretful. Then Yoda uses the Force to pick up his cane and Anakin and Obi-Wan stand up.

In the blu-ray cut, after Yoda drops the pillar, Anakin immediately regains consciousness and Yoda looks regretful, then it cuts to the exterior with Padme before returning to Yoda picking up his cane.

It's pretty minor and I imagine not a lot of people even noticed it, so I guess you could question why Lucas even changed it. I think the most noticeable effect of it is the score. The transitions aren't quite as smooth, I think.

Edit:

Another minor and pointless edit! In The Phantom Menace when Qui-Gon et al. are leaving Coruscant to return to Naboo, when Jar Jar shouts "Weesa going home!" and Anakin says "Come on, Artoo!," in all prior releases Artoo makes an excited series of beeps. This has been removed from the blu-ray.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:41 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Did anyone like any of the deleted scenes?

Personally I like the lightsaber and sandstorm deleted scenes from Return of the Jedi, especially the Vader part of the lightsaber scene, which surprises me that Lucas didn't add it back in given his emphasis on Anakin's story. It's a trade off though because it takes away the surprise of Luke having a lightsaber at the Pit of Carkoon because we know he made one and put it in Artoo, but I guess that the scene does telegraph it since it keeps showing Artoo before Luke does his salute.

I like the sandstorm scene because it seems like Hamill was taking a somewhat different approach to the way he portrayed Luke than he ultimately did in the film (since it was the very first scene filmed). The dialogue was moved to the scene where Luke is in his X-Wing flying away from Tatooine and I guess that works but having him interact with Han and Leia in person is better, and Hamill's demeanor just makes Luke seem a lot more aloof and distant to them, like Obi-Wan. I could be reading it entirely wrong though and it could be because he had a fan blowing sand into his face or something.

I also like the cut scenes of Anakin and Obi-Wan's banter on the Invisible Hand. When they first get into the elevator after fighting the droideikas there's already battle droids in it and the look Hayden gives Ewan before they just hack them up is priceless, and then they imitate the droids "Roger!" "Roger!" which is awesome. And just prior to that they demonstrate Anakin is able to imitate Artoo's beeping sounds when they're discussing whether Artoo said to go up or down in the elevator.

I wish those scenes weren't cut from Revenge.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:45 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Crash Override wrote:
it seems like Hamill was taking a somewhat different approach to the way he portrayed Luke than he ultimately did in the film (since it was the very first scene filmed).

I haven't seen these scenes, how does he portray Luke?

You shall learn that history is an intricate weaving of many events. No one thing can be understood without the proper context.

The best techniques are passed on by the survivors.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:16 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

DannikJerriko wrote:
Crash Override wrote:
it seems like Hamill was taking a somewhat different approach to the way he portrayed Luke than he ultimately did in the film (since it was the very first scene filmed).

I haven't seen these scenes, how does he portray Luke?

Well it's really just the sandstorm scene and it could be that he sounds more quiet, reserved, and aloof because he's not trying to yell over the loud noise of the fans blowing the sand and Harrison Ford and Carrie Fisher are shouting their lines.

He just seems more reserved and aloof. Unemotional. Han invites Luke to ride on the Falcon because it's faster than Luke's "old crate" and Luke just shakes his head before saying "I have a promise to keep to an old friend," but his delivery of the line is much different than in the finished film when he's in his X-Wing. Han thanks Luke for saving him and says he owes him one, and Luke replies "Think nothing of it" rather aloofly, as opposed to his chuckle in the film (which I think is more in line with the farmboy Luke than the Jedi Luke).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Movie Saga

Page 9 of 9