Star Wars vs. Star Trek
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Aush's EU Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  

As a Star Wars fan...
...you're equally interested in Star Trek.
31%
 31%  [ 11 ]
...you're only casually interested in Star Trek.
25%
 25%  [ 9 ]
...you have zero interest in Star Trek.
34%
 34%  [ 12 ]
...you despise Star Trek...including Trekkies.
8%
 8%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 35

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:04 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Lord Ree'dius wrote:
YodaBauer2442 wrote:
I heart this video.

http://www.collegehumor.com/video/4026025/deja-view-my-favorite-movie-star-trek-vs-star-wars

Yes, this video shows exactly how unoriginal this "new" Star Trek is. I"ve seen it and and was just amazed with how much was "borrowed" *cough*stolen*cough* from SW!
And it was still a terrible movie Laughing

It's the circle of life. Lucas digs Trek, then Trek digs Wars.

I mean it's never been a secret that JJ Abrams aimed to make the new Trek as much like SW as he could. It's a winning philosophy- put SW in it- or Make it more SW and it's a hit to most sci-fi lovers.

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-To become a Jedi, it is not the Force one must learn to control but oneself.
-
-Podcasts: Star Wars Beyond the Films, The Star Wars Report, & EUCast

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:12 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

illogicalRogue2 wrote:
I mean it's never been a secret that JJ Abrams aimed to make the new Trek as much like SW as he could. It's a winning philosophy- put SW in it- or Make it more SW and it's a hit to most sci-fi lovers.

It's true. But for a SW-fan like me, who has only casual interrest in most things non-SW it just looks like a total rip-off.
The new Star Trek is taking "making it like SW" to literally.
And I could have swallowed that had it been a good movie besides that fact, but sadly it wasn't IMO.

"You're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."

http://www.reedius.deviantart.com/

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:13 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

The new Trek is actually the only one I have even mildly enjoyed.

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:08 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Queen Padmè Skywalker wrote:
The new Trek is actually the only one I have even mildly enjoyed.

Movie wise- I enjoyed First Contact the most. But this new one was as good as Nemisis.

Though they still have a timeline to restore here at some point.

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:45 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

Nemesis? Nemesis???? My mom being a Trekkie, I've seen most of the films. And that was the one both of us hated the most.

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:13 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

We watched Nemesis in my high school SciFi club. We spent most of the time talking off topic or just riffing the movie. At our point out advisor said "Not every sentence needs a comment." Than a character from the film said "Oh, but it does!" We all cracked up!

"WHERE'S THE FIRE?! I've always loved that expression, which is curious since my lab assistant was killed in a fire."
- Walter Bishop

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:56 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

It's official: I've gone off the deep end. Wink

After several months of wrestling with the issue, I have finally decided to do the rest of the Star Trek series. In short, I'm going to buy the ENT, TOS, TAS, DS9, and VOY season sets, the rest of the TOS films, and all the books, comics and short stories.

Crazy? Maybe so. WIll it take years? Definitely.

But I'm doing it!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:43 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

illogicalRogue2 wrote:
the books that did follow a continuity- those set after TNG movies- were pretty good- but worked themselves into a place that ST became less ST and more SW and then we had the "timeline reboot" in the last movie to "fix this problem"

I was introduced to Star Trek first because DS9 and Voyager were both on the air when I was growing up, but I came to Star Wars with the prequels. I like the two franchises equally, alongside Harry Potter. Since I read both SW and ST books, this means I have almost no time to do anything else.

The "reboot" hasn't affected the book continuity - they are two separate realities. The books are still continuing with the same continuity.

“No. I am Ganner. This threshold is mine. I claim it for my own. Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don’t give a damn. None shall pass.”

“Eventually, we all betray something, Tahiri. It’s what you stay true to that counts.”

"Shaken, not stirred, will get you cold water with a dash of gin and dry vermouth. The reason you stir it with a special spoon is so not to chip the ice. James is ordering a weak martini and being snooty about it."

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:51 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Location: Greeley, Colorado, America, Earth, Sol System, Sector 13-A, Outer Rim, Milky Way Galaxy

Star Trek was my first Sci Fi love. I remember being 1 or 2 and watching an episode of TOS. And Trek was my first love until '95. When it comes to the shows, I love them in the order they were made. As for the films, Wrath of Khan, First Contact and Star Trek XI are my top three favorites.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:17 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Does anyone know of a site where I could watch ALL the ST episodes for free? I'm wanting to start watching with ENT on New Year's Day and watch one episode/movie per day. However, I don't have all the season sets yet and it would take several years to get them. So, if anyone knows a site where I can watch them free, please tell me.

(Yes, I know there's Youtube, but I doubt all of the episodes are available there, which is why I'm looking.)

Also, if anyone knows of a reliable guide that shows how the last two seasons and first three films of TNG, all of DS9, and the first four or five seasons of VOY fit together, please give me a link. I'll drive myself insane trying to figure out how to piece the timeline fron 2369-2375 together on my own.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:18 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Alan Skywalker V wrote:
It's official: I've gone off the deep end. Wink

After several months of wrestling with the issue, I have finally decided to do the rest of the Star Trek series. In short, I'm going to buy the ENT, TOS, TAS, DS9, and VOY season sets, the rest of the TOS films, and all the books, comics and short stories.

Crazy? Maybe so. WIll it take years? Definitely.

But I'm doing it!

All the tv shows are on Netflicks Wink Save ya some money.

-
-

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:24 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

illogicalRogue2 wrote:
the books that did follow a continuity- those set after TNG movies- were pretty good- but worked themselves into a place that ST became less ST and more SW and then we had the "timeline reboot" in the last movie to "fix this problem"

The "reboot" hasn't affected the book continuity - they are two separate realities. The books are still continuing with the same continuity.

Yes, it hasn't effected the current book continuity yet- they have yet to place when Alpha Spock goes back in time. But they HAVE shoe horned themselves in the current Continuity with the Borg and their sudden evolution into Gods who have left the Trek galaxy more akin to the SW one with the rebels on the run from the empire.

In that regard it made sense to hit reboot for the movie- all they have done is made the new movie a spectacular series set in a timeline loop. you know they'll be fixing the timeline at somepoint to avoid the lost timeline.

-
-

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:40 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Alan Skywalker V wrote:

Also, if anyone knows of a reliable guide that shows how the last two seasons and first three films of TNG, all of DS9, and the first four or five seasons of VOY fit together, please give me a link. I'll drive myself insane trying to figure out how to piece the timeline fron 2369-2375 together on my own.

www.ex-astris-scientia.org is a good source for that kind of information. The author is a bit militant in his views (he sometimes completely dismissed information that we might call "G-canon", because it doesn't fit his view). But he's got all the facts there. And he links to some really cool fansites.

Another good one is www.memory-alpha.org. Memory Alpha is the Star Trek version of Wookieepedia. It ignores the books and comics (but I think there's a Memory Beta too, that covers books).

There's no real need to try and fit exactly how TNG/DS9 relate to VOY, since it isn't until very late in VOY when there's finally crossovers (I think the first time Voyager actually made contact with the Federation was in Season 4, so the very very end of DS9). And there's only one season of overlap between TNG and DS9. Honestly, the easiest way to figure out when events of one series take place, relative to the other series is by airdate. In TNG, DS9, and VOY, the airdate is a fairly good indicator of time. One season is roughly one calendar year, and, given any particular overlapping season, Episode 7 of one series is roughly concurrent with Episode 7 of the other series. Same go with movies; Insurrection was released in 1998, and is concurrent with late Season 6/early Season 7 of DS9; Nemesis was released in 2002 and in the dialogue they said it had been 15 years since the beginning of TNG (1987).
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
-Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:44 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Alan Skywalker V wrote:
Does anyone know of a site where I could watch ALL the ST episodes for free? I'm wanting to start watching with ENT on New Year's Day and watch one episode/movie per day. However, I don't have all the season sets yet and it would take several years to get them. So, if anyone knows a site where I can watch them free, please tell me.

You can watch ENT and TOS on startrek.com
http://www.startrek.com/videos/star-trek-enterprise
http://www.startrek.com/videos/star-trek-the-original-series

“No. I am Ganner. This threshold is mine. I claim it for my own. Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don’t give a damn. None shall pass.”

“Eventually, we all betray something, Tahiri. It’s what you stay true to that counts.”

"Shaken, not stirred, will get you cold water with a dash of gin and dry vermouth. The reason you stir it with a special spoon is so not to chip the ice. James is ordering a weak martini and being snooty about it."

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:47 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

GrandMaster wrote:
Alan Skywalker V wrote:

You can watch ENT and TOS on startrek.com
http://www.startrek.com/videos/star-trek-enterprise
http://www.startrek.com/videos/star-trek-the-original-series

Thanks. Are the Animated Series, DS9, and Voyager available to watch there too?

Edit: Scratch that, GM. I just checked and saw that all of the Animated Series eps are available, but no DS9 or VOY, unfortunantly. Evil or Very Mad Oh, well. At least I can get most of it, though I noticed that a few ENT episodes were missing for some reason.

Last edited by Alan Skywalker V on Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Aush's EU Cantina

Page 5 of 6