Palpatine vs Windu (who won if either?)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Movie Saga View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:57 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Nope, I don't believe it. He missed too many vital components, which means he had vision, but not precognition.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:53 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

each to our own.
Lt. Colonel Hal Moore: Think we're gonna get close enough to the enemy to use that?
Sergeant Major Basil Plumley: What do you think, sir?

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 1:29 am Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Cerrinea you are bang on. Windu's vaapad fighting style had his royal darkness on the ropes, the fear in Palp's face was proof that even he was not sure of the final outcome, yet he believed that the way he manipulated the situation was his best course of action under the circumstances.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 10:10 am Reply with quote  

Quote:
...Lucas says on the commentary that Palpatine is overpowered by Mace, and he also says that Palpatine is trying to destroy Mace ( as opposed to merely putting on a show for Anakin ).

I did not know that. Guess Mace did have the upper hand then.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 11:42 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Of course, it all depends on whether one takes Lucas literally, which is hard to do in some places but not in others.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 9:59 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

BobaFett97 wrote:
Cerrinea you are bang on. Windu's vaapad fighting style had his royal darkness on the ropes, the fear in Palp's face was proof that even he was not sure of the final outcome, yet he believed that the way he manipulated the situation was his best course of action under the circumstances.

LOL love it! Palps is awesome though!
Lt. Colonel Hal Moore: Think we're gonna get close enough to the enemy to use that?
Sergeant Major Basil Plumley: What do you think, sir?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:22 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Palp put on a show. No question.

The timing was too perfect. He faked with the Lightning so why not before? The skill discrepancy between Mace and the other council members would be too vast if not. Palp beat Yoda who canonically is the more powerful.

Done deal. Were this a rational universe, at least.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:23 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I believe Mace truly defeated Palpatine in the office. There were some attempts to buy time, like the pleas for mercy, but Windu mopped the floor with the Chancellor, at least in the dueling aspects. If he didn't spend his last few minutes talking, Anakin would have seen the aftermath of Palpatine's assassination.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:13 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I've always thought Palpatine won because the scene was originally written and filmed with Anakin as witness to the entire battle and it was clear that Palpatine threw the fight for Anakin's benefit. I also thought it doesn't make sense for Palpatine to reveal himself to Anakin if he thought there was any chance for failure, i.e. being defeated by Mace. If so, he would have contrived to have Mace off Coruscant in the same way which he did Obi-Wan and presumably Yoda through his control of the CIS. Perhaps starting another incident on Haruun Kal.

But lately I've changed my mind, because it could be that Lucas deliberately removed Anakin from the scene to eliminate the idea that Palpatine threw the fight. Palpatine's entire plan is contingent upon Anakin becoming his apprentice and successor, and if Palpatine is as powerful as we're led to believe, the Chosen One is the only possible Sith that can become more powerful than him. Thus if Anakin turns down Palpatine, the Sith have absolutely peaked. Plus if Anakin refuses to turn, he will defeat Palpatine. Thus Palpatine made the calculated risk knowing he could lose to Mace because if Anakin didn't intervene, he already lost.

Palpatine also knew about the prophecy, and so possibly didn't believe that Mace could defeat him if the prophecy was true.

I also think that Mace and Yoda being able to defeat Palpatine is more poignant because it just makes Palpatine's victory at the end of Episode III that much more avoidable. He wasn't just some powerful Dark Lord that came in and completely annihilated everyone and won. He was vulnerable to the best that the good guys had, but still won through the personal weakness of Anakin, upon whom his plan was contingent. It wasn't a sure thing. If Palpatine would or could have won without Anakin, the tragedy is lessened.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:53 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

According to the ROTS novel, Windu's lightsaber skills were unmatched. It may not look like it on screen, which probably has much to do with OOU considerations, but that fact survived the Lucas edit of the novel.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:45 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I'm going to say the guy that won is the one that didn't end up as a red smear on the pavement. Just my opinion. Wink

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:24 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

DarthMRN wrote:
Palp beat Yoda who canonically is the more powerful.

"If so powerful you are, why leave?"

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:22 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Controversy time lol

Yoda and Sidious was a draw but Yoda feels he failed because he didnt defeat him. In his mind he lost but the fight to me was fairly equal.

Windu beats Sidious in the lightsaber duel but Sidious has other weapons and uses them like his ability to stall and of course his force lightning. If Anakin hadnt run into the office Windu would have defeated him.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:24 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I feel we should also see Sidious in action more in the EU. Hopefully the James luceno book will show him in action for his master and maybe there will be a book set after it that shows Sidious in action.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:12 am Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

So did Sidious know Anakin was on his way? Mace Windu had him cornered and beat and he looked like he was afraid that is until Anakin arrives.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Movie Saga

Page 2 of 5