You're on a desert island...
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:39 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Book: Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
DVD: Repo: The Genetic Opera
VHS: As a pre-teen, I had a blank VHS tape that had on it Bio-Dome and Austin Powers (recorded from television), and about 30 minutes of an old Spice Girls concert (also taped from TV).
Video Game: Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri, for the PC
Person: My wife, Carolyn
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
-Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Re: You're on a desert island...
 PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:18 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

FateotJediFreak wrote:

I'm ashamed to say that the bible never even crossed my mind! I'm a terrible Christian! Sad

Don't feel bad. Smile

My first thought was The Complete Chronicles of Narnia. Wink

Caedus_16 wrote:
Blasphemer...Tolkein was twice the writer Lewis was!

And I respectfully disagree!

Lewis and Tolkien had different strengths and, contrary to popular belief were very different people and writers. Tolkien was epic. He was a master at creating a vast world with believable languages, races, cultures, mythologies etc. To this day, I think few would disagree that Middle-Earth is the greatest fantasy world conceived by a single person.

However! I believe Lewis excelled Tolkien in many ways. The Narnia books are not epic fantasies. They are short, seemingly simple fairy tales. That's what is so brilliant about the Narnia books: Lewis did so much with so little. I continually find new things and new ways of looking at the Narnia books (example: recently I discovered that the Silver Sea was almost certainly inspired by Dante's words in Paradiso). I also think Lewis far surpassed Tolkien in wit. When I read Tolkien, I sometimes chuckle, when I read Lewis, I laugh out loud. I love his bluntness! He says the things everyone is thinking, but no one dares to say out loud. Razz I also prefer Lewis's characters. They're very simple, but they're so good. There's also a warmth in Lewis's writing that Tolkien doesn't have. Tolkien definitley has it, just not as much. When I'm reading Narnia, it feels like I'm a child again being told a story by a genial, slightly eccentric professor.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:54 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Both authors are Literary geniuses whose work will stand for all time.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:09 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

See I love Tolkein's epicness. Its so huge and vast, and he literally created a whole other world. I love Lewis, don't get me wrong, but in terms of prose and style I'll take Middle-Earth over Narnia any day!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:48 pm Reply with quote  

Quote:
To this day, I think few would disagree that Middle-Earth is the greatest fantasy world conceived by a single person.

Ahem. This is a Star Wars site. The few may be many when you take into account George Lucas.

But in literary worlds, I will certainly give Lewis and Tolkien their dues.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:50 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Lewis and Tolkien both beat Lucas. I recall C. S. Lewis replyng to a fan who wanted more Narnia books. He said (paraphrase), "I can either stop with the audience still hungry or overfeed them." Something Lucas doesn't realize. Wink

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:06 pm Reply with quote  

Book: The Complete Sherlock Holmes
Album: The Essential Glenn Miller (if I can take a collection that is technically 2-3 discs), or The Crosby-Clooney Radio Sessions Disc 2
DVD: Love Actually (if person option A); The Directors Cut/Extended Cut of Fellowship of the Ring (if person option B)
VHS: Return of the Jedi
Video Game: Skyrim (PC so if I wander into a magical wireless hotspot on the island I can download mods Razz )
Person: I guess that would depend on whether I've struck out with the girls I know at the time I get stranded or whether I've been lucky. So option A) girlfriend B) My best pal who I know I could rely on and trust with my life in any situation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina

Page 2 of 2