What type of stories?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  

What type of stories?
The Old Republic era
21%
 21%  [ 4 ]
Classic trilogy era
15%
 15%  [ 3 ]
Story set between Ep III and IV
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
A Jaden Korr trilogy
10%
 10%  [ 2 ]
A Talon Karrde trilogy
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
A Corran Horn story set in his Corsec days
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
A story focusing on the Chiss and the Unknown Regions
15%
 15%  [ 3 ]
Another Yuzzhan Vong story
15%
 15%  [ 3 ]
A Bib Fortuna story set after ROTJ. What happened to him?
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Story set after the Legacy Comics
10%
 10%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 19

What type of stories?
 PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:38 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Decided I had to start a new thread. This has been touched on in other threads but what type of stories would people like to read about in the future?

Are people bored of Luke, Leia and Han?

Do people want more stories involving Jaden Korr?

How about a Talon Karrde trilogy or a story set on the Errant Venture with Booster Terrik? Maybe a saboteur is on board?

Or a story set between eP III and IV? A proper trilogy of books focusing on Darth Vader?

More TOR books? Thats what I would like but its not everyones cup of tea so Im going to put a poll to see what we fans want.

Re: What type of stories?
 PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:05 am Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

darthrevan1 wrote:
Or a story set between eP III and IV? A proper trilogy of books focusing on Darth Vader?

More TOR books? Thats what I would like but its not everyones cup of tea so Im going to put a poll to see what we fans want.

Isn't that what the Dark Times comics are about? And Darth Vader and the Lost Command. He hasn't had much love in the book world, but he's done well in comics.

And I wouldn't mind some more TOR stuff. I haven't got any KOTOR comics and don't want to because I know how expensive it will be to read every one and get the whole story. If they were free I'd be on them like a Krayt Dragon on a Tusken.

And yeah, I haven't read any Big 3 stuff after Ep VI (FotJ, LotF etc) because the readn I like the EU is its distance from the movies. And the how it's not about the main characters.

I'd love to see more Legacy comics; not books.

And we know what happened to Bib Fortuna; he was
Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)

I've gone with "After Legacy".

You shall learn that history is an intricate weaving of many events. No one thing can be understood without the proper context.

The best techniques are passed on by the survivors.

Last edited by DannikJerriko on Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:20 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:14 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

After Legacy would be free of a lot of trappings some of the EU books find themselves in. How far after the Legacy comics though? 5,10 20 years? Or maybe abother 100 years. A complete clean slate.

I do seem to remember a story about Bib Fortuna from Tales from Jabbas Palace. Its so long since Ive read that book.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:44 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

The Old Republic era: TOR is overrated, but I wouldn't mind more books in this general era.
Classic trilogy era: I wouldn't really want any more Big 3 stories in this era, but it would be cool to see some other stories. I think most will agree this is one of the best eras.
Story set between Ep III and IV: As long as it doesn't involve "The Last Jedi" I'm good.
A Jaden Korr trilogy: I would love this, but only if Kemp writes it.
A Talon Karrde trilogy: Oh, please no! I never liked Karrde.
A Corran Horn story set in his Corsec days: I guess, but I'd rather read about him as a Jedi.
A story focusing on the Chiss and the Unknown Regions: Could be good. Why not?
Another Yuzzhan Vong story: Yes, please!
A Bib Fortuna story set after ROTJ. What happened to him?: I don't really care what happened to him.
Story set after the Legacy Comics: Not yet. The books should catch up to the Legacy comics, maybe do an adaptation of them, and then tell stories set after.

What I would really like to see in the future is standalones, duologies or trilogies about New Jedi Order Jedi who haven't had much exposure on missions that don't involve saving the galaxy. Paul S. Kemp proved that it can work.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:48 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Reepicheep wrote:
The Old Republic era: TOR is overrated, but I wouldn't mind more books in this general era.
Classic trilogy era: I wouldn't really want any more Big 3 stories in this era, but it would be cool to see some other stories. I think most will agree this is one of the best eras.
Story set between Ep III and IV: As long as it doesn't involve "The Last Jedi" I'm good.
A Jaden Korr trilogy: I would love this, but only if Kemp writes it.
A Talon Karrde trilogy: Oh, please no! I never liked Karrde.
A Corran Horn story set in his Corsec days: I guess, but I'd rather read about him as a Jedi.
A story focusing on the Chiss and the Unknown Regions: Could be good. Why not?
Another Yuzzhan Vong story: Yes, please!
A Bib Fortuna story set after ROTJ. What happened to him?: I don't really care what happened to him.
Story set after the Legacy Comics: Not yet. The books should catch up to the Legacy comics, maybe do an adaptation of them, and then tell stories set after.

What I would really like to see in the future is standalones, duologies or trilogies about New Jedi Order Jedi who haven't had much exposure on missions that don't involve saving the galaxy. Paul S. Kemp proved that it can work.

I agree with most of what you have said here. I just try to cover all bases with the poll rather then just have options I want to see. I dont think a Talon Karrde trilogy would work as he isnt interesting enough. I think Bib becane a Bomarr Monk and I agree the books have to catch up to legacy first which means we will see how the big 3 meet their fate something Lucas may be unwilling to show.

Regarding Lucas he has to realise that this franchise is not strictly his anymore and a natural progression of the franchise is to see these three die and not have them riding off into the sunset. Fans want proper closure. Its the natural order of things. Luke has come back as a force ghost and theres no reason Leia, Ben or any other major Jedi cant either. Also Id imagine Han would hate to be a ghost anyway and would go out the way Han wants to.

Bring in new characters and give them the spotlight.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:21 am Reply with quote  

You had some wicked choices. As much as I would really like to read another Jaden book, or another Yuuzhan Vong book, Karrde gets my vote. That would be an awesome trilogy.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:24 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Darth Skuldren wrote:
You had some wicked choices. As much as I would really like to read another Jaden book, or another Yuuzhan Vong book, Karrde gets my vote. That would be an awesome trilogy.

Karrde and Shada Dukal if that was her name on a fact finding mission during the FOTJ era. I didnt think a Karrde trilogy would work but the more I think about it the more I realise it could be brilliant.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:13 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I honestly need another Vong story. They were such a large part of the galaxy for several years, everything revolved around them and the ENTIRE EU was retconned to match, even Palpatine's takeover was because he'd learned of them and wanted to shore up forces to defend the galaxy and his Empire. Then after the NJO they literally vanished. One 'because-we-have-to' appearance in DN and showing back up a bit in Legacy Comics just didn't do it for me, i want a full story.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:45 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

^ Agreed. The thing about the Vong is, though, I'm not sure it's them we like so much as the situation they brought. If a random Yuuzhan Vong showed up in a book I probably wouldn't care. It's the idea of the entire galaxy (New Republic, Empire, Jedi, bounty hunters, Mandos, aliens, average Joes, EVERYONE) united aginst a common threat is what excited me.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:57 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Reepicheep wrote:
^ Agreed. The thing about the Vong is, though, I'm not sure it's them we like so much as the situation they brought. If a random Yuuzhan Vong showed up in a book I probably wouldn't care. It's the idea of the entire galaxy (New Republic, Empire, Jedi, bounty hunters, Mandos, aliens, average Joes, EVERYONE) united aginst a common threat is what excited me.

I actually enjoyed the segments that were set in their camp. I loved looking at their mindset and hypocritical tendencies and caste systems and such. I think it would be fascinating to have a story centered on a Vong character, and then there's the entire debate about whether or not they can be returned to the Force and that would be interesting to see.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:22 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I can only pick one? I was torn between the Chiss and the Vong but finally went with the Chiss. I just love the Chiss species and the Unknown Regions, especially if it was set during the Old Republic, when nobody in the Core even knew they existed. Give me a story that nobody in the galaxy at large even knew took place. That would be awesome. On the other hand, I would also love a story about the Yuuzhan Vong in their home galaxy. What about that first war where they brought a moon down? Or how they conquered their home galaxy? How were they cut off from the Force? When they decided to leave, what were the events preceding that? The possibilites are endless!
“Actually, I don’t quite recall. But I was made, so the existence of my maker is beyond question. And since I consider my existence to be a good thing, he was without a doubt benevolent and forward thinking.”
~Allana Solo and C-3PO

Last edited by Jaina Solo Fel on Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:52 pm Reply with quote  

Combine Karrde trilogy with the Vong and you've got something really good. Karrde might see a huge profit in extending his intelligence network to the surviving Vong. Lot of money in Vong tech...and you know something would go wrong.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:05 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Personally, I would love to see more Bib Fortuna stuff. Nothing after his transformation in TfJP, as I thought that was an excellent way to conclude him, but maybe a set of comics; about him plotting against Jabba, or how he came to be "employed" by Jabba. Just a four issue series or something. I'd like to see him pop up in Legacy or something, what with him being... you know.

You shall learn that history is an intricate weaving of many events. No one thing can be understood without the proper context.

The best techniques are passed on by the survivors.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:25 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

Out of those choices, I'd pick more novels set in the TOR era, but I'd prefer more books set in the flagship era - post FOTJ. But I don't think I'd want a Vong centred book. I'd be okay if there were characters from the Vong species, and that way we got more information on their species after NJO, but I didn't like them enough to want another book dedicated to them.

Oh, and Jaina, there are Chiss in the upcoming TOR game. I wasn't happy about that.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it (or even read all of it). These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:30 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Wow thanks for the response to this guys. Lots of great ideas.

How about a story that shows how Palpatine found out about the Vong or in Apocalypse it would be cool if Leia and Co came across one hidden in the depths of Coruscant.

We Know Nom Anor was in the galaxy a long time prior to the invasion so a story focusing on his early days might be good. Wouldnt it be cool if he had at one time infiltrated Palpatines inner circle while he was researching the galaxy? He was disguised as one of Palpatines advisors or even that he was one of the priests who was on the second Death Star when Vader went to see Palpatine in ROTJ but left the death star before it blew up?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 1 of 3