What type of stories?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  

What type of stories?
The Old Republic era
21%
 21%  [ 4 ]
Classic trilogy era
15%
 15%  [ 3 ]
Story set between Ep III and IV
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
A Jaden Korr trilogy
10%
 10%  [ 2 ]
A Talon Karrde trilogy
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
A Corran Horn story set in his Corsec days
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
A story focusing on the Chiss and the Unknown Regions
15%
 15%  [ 3 ]
Another Yuzzhan Vong story
15%
 15%  [ 3 ]
A Bib Fortuna story set after ROTJ. What happened to him?
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Story set after the Legacy Comics
10%
 10%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 19

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:11 am Reply with quote  

I've got an idea for the Bib novel. Since he's an immortal spider monk now, he could be a new emerging crime lord and no one knows his true identity. He could play himself off as this mysterious monster that everyone is afraid to double cross.

But to add excitement, someone hires Dengar to take him out. In retaliation, Bib tries to hire Boba, but Fett turns him down because of an old debt to Dengar. So Bib then turns to 4-LOM and Zuckuss. A good old bounty hunter book will a bunch of old fan faves. Could be a lot of fun.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:01 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Darth Skuldren wrote:
I've got an idea for the Bib novel. Since he's an immortal spider monk now, he could be a new emerging crime lord and no one knows his true identity. He could play himself off as this mysterious monster that everyone is afraid to double cross.

But to add excitement, someone hires Dengar to take him out. In retaliation, Bib tries to hire Boba, but Fett turns him down because of an old debt to Dengar. So Bib then turns to 4-LOM and Zuckuss. A good old bounty hunter book will a bunch of old fan faves. Could be a lot of fun.

For Dengar to be in it it would have to be set before Heir To the Empire Trilogy but it does sound cool.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:48 pm Reply with quote  

Why? Nobody ever killed Dengar. If Han can still run around saving the galaxy, I'm sure Dengar can still do odd end jobs. He has to support his wife somehow.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:35 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

I'd love another Vong story. The Vong were some of the most interesting villains to come to the EU. I'd also like another novel set between ANH and ESB. Probably an unpopular opinion, but sometimes the NJO and everything after really makes me miss the OT incarnations of the Big Three.

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:35 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Jaina Solo Fel wrote:
I can only pick one? I was torn between the Chiss and the Vong but finally went with the Chiss. I just love the Chiss species and the Unknown Regions, especially if it was set during the Old Republic, when nobody in the Core even knew they existed. Give me a story that nobody in the galaxy at large even knew took place. That would be awesome. On the other hand, I would also love a story about the Yuuzhan Vong in their home galaxy. What about that first war where they brought a moon down? Or how they conquered their home galaxy? How were they cut off from the Force? When they decided to leave, what were the events preceding that? The possibilites are endless!

My thoughts exactly!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:07 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I voted for more novels set in the TOR era, however, I would really like to see a set of novels that follow Darth Zannah and Darth Cognus, and then Darth Cognus and Darth Millennial.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:09 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Darth Skuldren wrote:
Why? Nobody ever killed Dengar. If Han can still run around saving the galaxy, I'm sure Dengar can still do odd end jobs. He has to support his wife somehow.

Dengar was killed by Mara Jade in Heir To the Empire if I remember correctly. It has been a long time since Ive read it though. Wink

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:24 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

I'm changing my vote from TOR to Bib Fortuna. I'd like it to be a short, low-key series. Nothing too heavy.

You shall learn that history is an intricate weaving of many events. No one thing can be understood without the proper context.

The best techniques are passed on by the survivors.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:51 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

darthrevan1 wrote:
Darth Skuldren wrote:

Dengar was killed by Mara Jade in Heir To the Empire if I remember correctly. It has been a long time since Ive read it though. Wink

That was a different Dengar. He appeared in Dark Empire and Dark Empire II working with Boba Fett after Heir to the Empire (actually, the beginning of Dark Force Rising). It was also probably a fake ID.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:35 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Crash Override wrote:
darthrevan1 wrote:
Darth Skuldren wrote:

That was a different Dengar. He appeared in Dark Empire and Dark Empire II working with Boba Fett after Heir to the Empire (actually, the beginning of Dark Force Rising). It was also probably a fake ID.

Cool thanks for clearing it up. As Ive said its been years since Ive read it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:49 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

That was a different Dengar? Huh, first I heard. All these years I though Dengar was dead...

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:49 pm Reply with quote  

I don't remember Mara ever killing a guy named Dengar. Was this books or comics?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:39 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Darth Skuldren wrote:
I don't remember Mara ever killing a guy named Dengar. Was this books or comics?

At the beginning of Dark Force Rising when Karrde is setting up on Rishi after having abandoned the Myrkr base, Mara runs into a guy that's going to turn them in to Thrawn and she kills him and his ID says his name is Dengar.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:26 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Actually what I want to see isn't listed in any of those. There are basically 2 things that have never been touched on which I find absolutely amazing that they've left out:

1) The later battle of the New Republic vs. The Empire. Yes, we get Thrawn, Zinji and Daala, and then...er...how did the Empire get pushed back to that tiny rim?

The later Bantum books all focus on various threats that only really involve the Big 3 or non-imperial battles - Yvethan, Hether, Thraken, Waru, Kuller, Darksaber, Nam Chrorios (SP?).

The only one that sort of touches on NR vs. Imp is Starfighters of Adumar. What were Ackbar and Pellaeon up to out on the Northern Galactic Rim battling out for those last systems in the last 5-10 years of the war. You can debate that a bunch of planets defected peacefully, but there has to be some sort of battles for Imperially-loyal systems. This is a massive hole that really leaves the galactic civil war quite unfinished IMHO.

2) filling the gaps between NJO, DN and LOTF. There's a full 10 years that have NOTHING - 7 between The Unifying force and Dark nest ,and another 4 between The Swarm War and LOTF.

I'm sorry, but there's so many details there that need to be covered. Rebuilding, the last of the vong holdouts (you KNOW they didn't all surrender), how the Empire increased its terroritory between then and LOTF, the rebuilding of coruscant and spreading of teh jedi order to have outposts on different plannets, the spice/drug trade the jedi were investigating at the beginning of Dark Nest....

Massive holes there. I'd prefer these to be filled in before we move on to anything new.

To respond to the offered choices:

The Old Republic era - sure. We've got a start, lets see more. Though I'd prefer something that was NOT focused on a Jedi vs. sith war with the sith taking over the galaxy. Something smaller would be nice. Also would like to see something about the Rakata, but the new Dawn of the Jedi comics may involve that too

Classic trilogy era - as long as it has absolutely NOTHING to do with the Big 3, or Vader. There are more than enough about them. What I'd REALLY like to see from this era is a series of "battlefront" novels detailing the battles between the Rebs and Imps told from the perspective of the ground troops. Possibly with character squads drawing one from each class in the game(s).

Story set between Ep III and IV -Given the time limits on them right now, not a whole lot of point. In a few years when they can hit up any year, sure.

A Jaden Korr trilogy - two was enough. Forgive me but Kemps writing is too convoluted for me in many cases. Now a Kyle Katarn trilogy...

A Talon Karrde trilogy - little to no interest if it just focuses just on him. One book on him, one on booster, and one on Cadaras though would sell me for sure

A Corran Horn story set in his Corsec days - sure. Always wondered about this.

A story focusing on the Chiss and the Unknown Regions - **** YES!! Preferably multiples

Another Yuzzhan Vong story - see my above section on post war. I think the war itself was covered well enough

A Bib Fortuna story set after ROTJ. What happened to him? - he actually appeared in one of the comics. X-wing I think? Not a whole novel, but a side mention would be good.

Story set after the Legacy Comics - NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!!! Untill we catch up I think this is a horrible idea.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:14 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I don't think it's beneficial for Star Wars to flesh out every single inch of the timeline. The battles between Ackbar and Pellaeon happened, okay, but is there a story there? Is it going to read like a novel or a military history?

Personally, I'm liking the idea of something like Legacy, but I think Legacy by virtue of its eponymous premise undercut itself. Let's set something in the future of Star Wars that isn't saddled by any sort of prior continuity (TOR's creation of a massive galactic war that went unmentioned until now is eyebrow raising, this doesn't have that issue), but also is completely detached by what preceded it. Having a Skywalker be the hero of Legacy and having numerous characters descended from existing characters is a novelty where you're like "Hey, this guy is descended from this person, I bet you didn't guess he would be like this!"

Instead, go with a tabula rasa. Set it a few thousand years in the future. You don't need to have a Galactic Alliance or Empire. It can be the Galactic Republic again. Or it can be something else. Whatever suits the story.

And there won't be gimmicky callbacks to Palpatine or Obi-Wan or K'khruk or Celeste Morne or anything else. There's no connection. Anakin Skywalker was the Chosen One, that was that story, but this is its own story. It doesn't need a Skywalker or need to mention Anakin Skywalker.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 2 of 3